“Saving the Dow”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Saving the Dow”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Where in St Augustine can you find 9 house on the orginial property together? Yes, they all need work but isn't that the charm of them. Many rumors of being sold, torn down become a parking lot doesn't stop the staff from putting their best foot forward and try to save the moments of history. So come and see it before it just a memory of days gone by.

3 Thank Judy K

Elkton
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Hospitality Lesson”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My family and I are locals who wanted to find hidden treasures in downtown to visit, then bring our out of town guests to. We had been on the highly recommended Red Train, Scenic Cruise, Ripley's, Flagler College tour, and Lightener Museum. The gem of the day was Villa Zorayda Museum, where the family's granddaughter welcomed us with warm hospitality and joy. That led us down the street to the Dow Houses where the attendant (12pm 6/13/14) explained that only the gift shop was open to us if we chose not to take the tour today (no problem with that). So my husband, mother, and I walked around inside while grandpa riled the children up out side. Just as I was to open the door that said "exit" to ask my children to calm down so others would not be disturbed, the attendant (who had followed me?) redirected me explaining this door was part of the tour, not the GIFT SHOP (still no problem with that). As I tried to explain my intent, she repeated GIFT SHOP 4-5 times, interrupting me as I spoke. When I finally, relented to be ushered out of the GIFT SHOP I said to my husband, "I tried to calm the kids down but that's not allowed here, I guess." To which the attendant replied, "I guess not." As one who has worked in the museum, retail, and service industry for years I hope the owners of the Dow Houses would kindly train their employees, volunteers, and selves as to a hospitable fashion for redirecting wayward tourists like me. A simple, "This is not part of the tour, please rejoin your family this way" would have sufficed.

4 Thank beth p
Atlanta, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Architecture & Landscape Grounds”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

If you are in to architecture and garden landscape this is your place. The homes were each unique and the winding gardens surrounding them were worth price of admission.

When I say gardens though its not just flowers though; it's also the landscaping. Quite frankly I don't know the term for it but maybe the "grounds" were very beautiful.

Pensacola, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Historic Homes”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

It is wonderful that a historical society was able to preserve these 9 homes on their original foundations and furnish them with some of the original belongings

2 Thank Luckypink48
Monument, Colorado
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Very Sad Condition”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were very disappointed in the condition of the grounds. Yes, these buildings are very old and should show some wear and tear but the grounds are pitiful. Weeds and debris abound. It appears no one is cleaning the property. It could be beautiful.

The buildings are interesting but could have more information available. Received a map when we entered the store. The staff member drew the path we were supposed to take as we toured the property. Could be more professionally done.

Based on the website we were expecting more for the money.

Visited May 2014