“A history of St Augustine homes”

Dow Museum of Historic Houses
Ranked #92 of 180 things to do in St. Augustine
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“A history of St Augustine homes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This museum has 9 old homes dating from the late 18th to early 20 century. Seven were open to visit. It showed construction techniques and the histories of the occupants. Might not be great for kids. It takes an hour or so to see the whole thing.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank doctorgary

Busselton, Australia
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“DIY tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I thought this was fairly interesting but, as has been stated by previous reviewers, a guide would certainly add to the experience. The lady in the gift shop was lovely and very helpful but I had to remember all my questions for when I was leaving. Unfortunately, I have a brain like a sieve so I certainly didn't have all my questions answered. There's lots to see and they have done a tremendous job with each house getting furniture and decorative pieces from the appropriate time periods. There's a bit of reading and definitely no touching, so this is possibly not suitable for younger children.

Visited August 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
192 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Interesting tour but a guide would have added a lot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

It was interesting to go through these old houses and learn about some of their history but what was missing was a guide. Self-guided tours work well when one is aided with recordings on a headset but in this case, a guide would have made the tour of the houses much more interesting. Still, all in all, the tour was worthwhile.

Visited December 2012
Dimondale, Michigan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“It's very nice, but not outstanding.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

First of all, I will say that we are glad that we visited these homes because we do like historic buildings like this. And I especially liked that they are in their original locations. They were interesting to look at, but overall it was an average experience. We would have liked to see more signs in/at each house telling some history of the occupants. We did this self-guided tour as a time-filler between some other St. Augustine sightseeing, and it was fine -- again, glad we saw it, but not something that I would go out of the way to do. If you know that what you are going to see is a collection of old houses (and there is an admission fee, I think $7.95 each), then you will probably enjoy it!

Visited July 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Interesting but enjoyed other sights more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Interesting yet I wasn't really intrigued like I am other historical buildings. I prefers other locations to this. There was also black mold on the ceiling of the men's restroom

Visited July 2013