“What a wonderful find!”

Ranked #6 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Venice, Florida
“What a wonderful find!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

A friend of ours recommended the Edgewater Inn to us. I have to say, what an amazing “Old Florida” hotel! You could not ask for a better view in St Augustine. The rooms are a bit old but they are superbly clean. I recently returned from a business trip in Vegas where I paid $300+/night for a room that couldn’t hold a candle to the Edgewater. The bathroom and room itself were the cleanest I have stayed in. I also had no problem with the wireless in the rooms. I read some other reviews that experienced slow connection but I was able to access it for work with no problem. The one and only negative is that they are not in the office a whole lot. Sunday I decided to extend my stay for one more night; the sign on the front office said they were open Sunday from 9am-4pm. I tried calling and returning to the hotel several times on Sunday during those hours. My call was returned Monday morning when I was at work … Other than that for the money, you can’t beat it as a place to stay. I will only there from now on when I visit St Augustine!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Nikki H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This is the third time I've stayed at the Edgewater. Once for my anniversary, once with a group of couples who wanted to party and this past weekend we brought our two year old daughter. I just read Chris Shilly's review that it is seriously outdated and the rooms are old but clean and we won't stay anywhere else because you can't beat the view, the deck and the walk. There's no valet and no cabs. You park the car once and walk back and forth. I now consider myself "a regular" and look forward to staying there with my girlfriends next month for my birthday. My daughter absolutely loved alternating between the pool, which was spotless, and finding shells and crabs on the intercoastal as well as pointing out dolphins etc. I live close to St Augustine and we come here regularly. If you would like to see a review of the restaurants we visited this trip please visit my food blog post at www(dot)floridacoastalcooking(dot)com//2011/07/caramelized-sweet-peppers-and-onions.html.

Note: If you are looking for new amenities, plush linens and room service to spend the trip in your room this is not the place. If you are here to see the sights, walk around and relax in front of a gorgeous view this is heaven. Enjoy!

Thank you to the Edgewater for another wonderful stay!!!

Room Tip: I like the rooms where the bed isn't in front of the door so it's a bit darker in the mornin...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dhutchins37
Reviewed June 29, 2011

If I were pompous traveler, it would be easy for me to rip this place apart for many different things. I jokingly call it the Bates Motel. However, my family LOVES the Edgewater, and will not stay anywhere else in St. Augustine. I consider it my home away from home. If you can handle a SERIOUSLY outdated motif, old bathtubs, cantankerous hot water, etc., then read on for all of the good things about this place. First of all, as mentioned, the rooms are very outdated, but they are clean. They have a cleaning lady who works hard and takes pride in keeping it clean and making it feel like home when you get back from sightseeing. Outdated DOES NOT mean dirty. The beds are actually comfortable, and I slept better at the Edgewater than I did at the $200 per night Oceanside condo. Oh yeah, Edgewater had good, FREE wireless internet in our room. The $200 a night place wanted 10 bucks a day for that. Another plus for the Edgewater.This place is directly beside the Bridge of the Lions. The construction is completely done, and is no longer an inconvenience. The bridge makes for a nice, easy walk across the bay to the historic downtown. The view from the Edgewater back door is gorgeous. The city at night is stunning. All rooms lead out to a patio\dock that is within feet of the water. The wildlife is GRAND! Sand Crabs, Blue Crabs, Horsehoe crabs, hermit crabs, shrimp, fish, Dolphins, cranes, etc. Right at your back door. At night, the beach comes to life with marine wildlife. My kids love to play on the little beach and try to chase crabs. It is a few minute drive to the Alligator Farm. It has a convenience store nearby. A laundry right down the street. Almost all of the people that stay at Edgewater have been there before and they become a mini-family while they are there. Everyone is friendly. People would borrow a plastic drink cup, and return the favor by lending a Band-Aid for the kids. Decent, good people seem to always stay there. The swimming pool is a good pool. A bit outdated, but not too deep and great for the kids. We have NEVER had a problem at the Edgewater. Learn to tolerate the highly "rustic" amenities and reap the great price and the beautiful view and wildlife. It is in a great neighborhood, with lots of early morning joggers. A safe place for the family with a unbeatable view. Possibly the best view from a hotel in the whole city of St. Augustine.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank ChrisShilly
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We have been staying here for many years and the prices have increased steadily but there has been no upgrades. Most rooms still don't have refrigerator or microwave, wireless internet is poor when it works and furniture is the same as the first day we stayed. Now the office is only open 9 to 6, so no help there after hours.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I live about 20 minutes north of St. Augustine and visit regularly. Typically we stay at the Casa Monica but were looking for somewhere to spend our 9th anniversary where we could eventually take our daughter, get a better value and a better view. We had driven by the Edgewater Inn many times and I always wanted to stay there as the balcony overlooking the water with white rockers looked so inviting. I was so glad we tried it out! The walk over the bridge was just gorgeous and it only took 7 minutes. We had room 103, a waterfront room with a king size bed. The room was older but was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the view was amazing. There IS still a barge in the water but the view to the left and right was perfect. We will DEFINITELY stay there again and I will recommend it to all my friends!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhutchins37
Nashville, TN
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Going by the reviews I read here and information on their website, I made reservations to stay at the Edgewater Inn. The hotel is right on the water, beside the Bridge of Lyons, and directly across from Historic downtown St. Augustine. Upon checking in we went to the room and "dated" is not how I would describe the room, as others on here have described. Old and dirty feeling would be more of an accurate description of the room. The carpet had stains all over the place, the bed was hard as a rock, the bathroom was a throwback to the 60's that had stains all over the grout and cracked tiles. We then opened up the backdoor to check out the magnificent view of the harbor, downtown and dolphins swimming in the harbor. Instead our view consisted of a huge crane 30 yards from our door and construction boats that are working on the Bridge of Lyons in front of us, all blocking our "magnificent" view that was described on their website. We might have been able to deal with the older accomodations, but all of the sights and sounds of the construction going on was the straw that broke the camels back. Needless to say, back to the front desk I went and explained that this is not what we where expecting, nor desiring on our vacation and was the reason we could not stay there. Surprisingly the nice lady at the counter completely understood and issued us a FULL refund and did not charge us anything. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON STAYING HERE, I would call first and make sure all of the construction has ended, so you have a view of something other than just construction equipment and I would make sure to get one the newly refurbished rooms. We didn't see the refurbished rooms, but anything would have been better than what we had.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank AHannityClone
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have stayed at the Edgewater many times and have always been pleased. It is perfect for walking accross the bridge to go to the downtown attractions and bars. We stay here at least 2 times a year just to enjoy the short walk to all the restaurants and Tradewinds Lounge for some entertainment. This is an older hotel and it does show its age. But it is always clean and comfortable. If your are looking for luxury go to the Casa Monica if you are looking a great place to stay in the middle of St. Augustine at a great price stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple