“Excellent fun but a little challenging too...”

Crocodile Crossing (at Alligator Farm)
Ranked #40 of 192 things to do in St. Augustine
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have ziplined twice at the Crocodile Crossing, at the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm, and both times I enjoyed myself. You are required to constantly stay attached to a main, red line, with at the very least one clip from your harness. This can be more of a pain than anything, and can reduce the fun of the entire experience. I am a pretty fit and nimble man under 30yrs old, and there are times where I struggled to disconnect one part of the harness and move on, and it ended up being pretty annoying (when out on the long course).

Bottom line is, it is an assault/aerial course with a few small to med length zipline sections, which do go over crocs and gators. It is a lot of fun, but like other reviewers have said, it can get very hot and very difficult to conquer. Anyone overweight, weak, pregnant, too old, too young, and out of shape should not bother, and simply watch.

If you are a fit and healthy human and want a workout and a fun time, give it a go. How many places can you say that you have ziplined over living huge crocs and gators?

1  Thank Torontofreewalk
in 38 reviews
"crocodiles"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2012

SO FUN! I went here on a Tuesday for my 25th birthday and it was everything I expected. I read some reviews beforehand and was aware of the obstacle course and how fun yet challenging it is. I'm not a physically fit person but I was able to do the obstacles and ziplines fairly easily. Since it was a Tuesday, it was a fairly slow day and me and my friend were the only ones on the course at the time. I actually preferred this, as we got more personalized instruction (they give a brief yet thorough instruction before you start the obstacle course) and we could do the course at our own pace. The staff is very friendly but they are serious about the safety precautions and will not be shy about warning you (you get one warning and then they take you down from the course. I ended up getting a warning on the first obstacle! But was fine after that). You are not allowed to take anything on the course (especially cameras and cellphones, lockers are provided free). They have a photographer that photographs you throughout the course. You have the option of purchasing these pictures at the end. I would DEFINITELY recommend this course to anyone who wants a physical/mental challenge. I am already planning on going back for the longer course!

2  Thank Charmaine P
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The best part of crocodile crossing is being able to purchase photos of your family doing the course. Priceless.

1  Thank Adammtg
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went with our kids, ages 10, 15, & 18. I miscalculated the journey, so I was panicked, as I knew they had a very prompt start time. When I called them, they said they would do everything they could to accomodate us, (we were 5 mins late), which they did. They conducted their training, which is very thorough, with all of us and we went off on our merry way.

It was a fun obstacle, some which were challenging (at least to me and my ten year old daughter). The alligators below added the "WOW" factor. My 18 year old who doesn't want to do anything, actually really enjoyed this. A bit of nature, bit of danger (not really but illusion of it), and it was something new and exciting.

We were almost at the home stretch when my daughter announced she felt ill, and told us she could do any more obstacle. Fortunately, it was the last leg of the obstacle. I was kinda embarrassed as we were holding up the line. She's a tough cookie, so I couldn't believe she wanted to give up, especially since it was the last obstacle. I kept prodding her but the trainers told me they'd talk to her. They thought maybe she was dehydrated & gave her some water. They went through the obstacles to get her and when they reached her, she threw up. And all was right in the world, and she was able to even finish the course, without the help of the trainers, who were so very patient and encouraging.

I think the concept of this is brilliant but more importantly, what struck me was the wonderful people who help run this course.

1  Thank Marcyne
See more reviews
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I are 40 and 48 yrs young LOL - - and we enjoyed the course (did the long course) although there are a few tricky obstacles and you definitely get your fill of bending / ducking / squatting / climbing. It was 85 degrees and humid (of course!) so we were soaked with sweat, that was the only drawback. That and the fact that there are only 3 water fountains in the trees / along the course, and they spray you all over the face when you try to take a sip. And the water from the fountains was warm (yuk). But other than the lack of good drinking water and sweating , we had a good time and enjoyed ourselves. It's pretty fun to zipline over alligators and crocodiles!

2  Thank CThompson178