“Truly Russian Food?”

The Mermaid Cafe
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Inside cafe dining in a unique atmosphere or outdoor courtyard with balcony overlooking historic downtown
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had in a restaurant. Let me start by saying that the place is real homey and cute. When I looked at the menu I saw the crepes and perogies. Liking both I couldn't decide and the waitress told me to get the potato perogie because her mother, being from Russia knew how to make them. So I did. They had no taste, potatoes and starch, very blah. I ordered the Borsch because I love beets, well I didn't taste any beets in it. Needless to say I didn't eat much after I tasted it and went out to the patio which is very nice and overlooks the street. My partner came out and told me that the mother/owner wanted to know why I didn't eat my food. Not wanting to insult her by being too blunt, and blurting out how horrible it was, I told her that I only had perogies and borsch once before. She told me that when you make Borsch you are not suppose to taste the beets, and she didn't like beets, so she cuts them up real small. I said oh, ok, then she wanted to know why I didn't eat the perogie, and I said that I thought there should be meat in it. She said no, just potatoes. So next time I go there I will try the crepes and leave the perogies and borsch alone. The Rasputin beer was good.

2  Thank Annie C
There are newer reviews for The Mermaid Cafe

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We went for lunch and sat outside. It was nice to have the option of being outside but the tables are really made for 2 people so it's not that comfortable when they push 2 of them together to seat 4. The crepes were very light and tasty but the portion sizes are small and we found we were still a little hungry.

1  Thank Gusphinney
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Let me start by saying my wife absolutely loves crepes while I just like crepes. Sara's Crepe Cafe serves not excellent but very good crepes. The menu is extremely varied and I would suggest they stop trying to be all things to all people -- focus on the crepes and crepes related items. The lack of focus may explain the overwhelming tense atmosphere inside Sara's. To enjoy the crepes I highly recommend sitting outside away from the stress.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a surprise to find a shop dedicated to crepes and not the usual round crepe stuffed with whatever. But, a rectangular crepe stuffed and sauced and delicious. We missed out on breakfast as something was going on but returned that evening and were not disappointed. We were further surprised though when we saw a gentlemen come in and start rearranging tables. Seems that this is the locals place for a weekly poker match. Though we don't play, we were invited to stay and watch the "action". I definitely look forward to returning to Sarah's next visit to St. Augustine.

1  Thank Katherine L
Reviewed February 18, 2013

There is no shortage of amazing food to be tried in St. Augustine. I try and go to different places every time as you can't try them all. I consistently go back to Sara's Crepe Cafe for breakfast. It has a great central location to all of historic downtown. The outdoor eating is perfect. Even on a chilly morning they have heaters and offer blankets so you can enjoy the atmosphere. All of the crepes I have tried have been amazing, but they are known for their seafood crepe. It has mussels, scallops, shrimp and crab meat with a house made remoulade which was amazing. Definitely must try when visiting the city.