“Good food in a sea of tacos and pizza”
Review of The Mermaid Cafe - CLOSED

The Mermaid Cafe
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Inside cafe dining in a unique atmosphere or outdoor courtyard with balcony overlooking historic downtown
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Had a light lunch and went back again for breakfast at Sara's cafe. Wish we had of gone there for dinner as well. It was good food and good service. Highly recommend.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stopped for coffee. Lattes and mochas were made from a mix. Mediocre fare. But when the $6.47 tab came and i presented my credit card only to be told the store policy was a $7 minimum I decided to look for the disclosure. I don't mind paying a small tab in cash, but if a place advertises credit cards and does not disclose a minimum upfront, they are being dishonest and I don't do business with dishonest merchants.

1  Thank Frenchguy48
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I loved this place the moment we walked in- very eclectic Russian theme-- the waiter was very polite & informative-- I ordered apples with caramel crepe & my cousin order the seafood crepe--- I loved the crepe & Christine said her crepe was delicious- we started with a salad topped with the most interesting dressing which we shared & both enjoyed-- for dessert we ordered a Paris crepe sooooo good.. We had conversations with other diners that evening & truly enjoyed ourselves- The owner & chef was a handsome woman with a warm smile and pleasant attitude -- I am unsure why others had such an unpleasant experience-but- we had the best treatment & food. We also thought of going back the next day but our mission was to eat at a new place each night --- I would definitely recommend Sara's to anyone interested in a warm,cozy atmosphere and good food.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

It's too bad when a restaurant thinks of themselves as an eatery for tourists only, so the chefs/owners prepare food for people who will likely never return. Although visitors to St. Augustine may eat in our restaurants, residents do as well. Went to lunch with a friend, and I suggested we try Sara's Crepe Cafe, since neither of us had eaten there before. It was OK, not good, just OK. I ordered the vegetable crepe, which was mushy, short of vegetables, and soggy with the olive oil topping. Not pleasant. Friend ordered sandwich and soup which she said was OK. Her plate was covered with rippled potato chips, which seemed a bit of of place in a crepe restaurant. Maybe what Sara's Crepe Cafe needs to do is figure out what they want to be, and improve on a simpler, tastier and better prepared meal, especially the veggie crepe. Would not return so I'm not likely to know if Sara thinks my opinion is worthy.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We tried this place with the intent of getting a crepe, until I saw the reuben on the menu with a note indicating they prepared their own corned beef. I questioned the server and she said yes they did and it was delicious. I have to agree! It was excellent with lots of beef and enough sauerkraut and Russian dressing to give it a nice balance. My wife had the thai ginger chicken wings that were also very good and we finished by splitting an apple carmel dessert crepe with vanila ice cream. My wife said the crepe tasted just like the ones her french Canadian grandmother used to make. Our server (from Maine) was very friendly and gave us excellent sevice.

I'm honestly quite shocked to see some very negative reviews for this place. We had a great lunch with wine, beer, and dessert for $40.