“Not what it used to be”

Conrad's Steakhouse
Ranked #172 of 600 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2012

i loved Conrads when it first opened a couple of years back, but the last two times we have been there, they were out of 4 menu items, the steak was unseasoned and the vegetable sides un inspired. We go out for a meal we cannot make at home. This restaurant has disappointed us twice...we wish them luck. I had the salmon, overcooked and the apricot sauce was raspberry instead and like syrup.

I do hope they get it together...nice owners

Reviewed March 4, 2012

We've been wanting to try Conrad's, and a friend's invitation to join her birthday party there gave us the perfect opportunity. We were really looking forward to it. Now, we're not all that hard to please, but to say we were disappointed is an understatement. First of all, the restaurant knew we were a party of 21 and that we were going to be there weeks ahead of time. Our birthday gal was really looking forward to the surf and turf for her birthday treat. They were out. OK, she'd settle for the filet. They were out of that. While she tried to decide on a third choice, the waiter moved on to my husband for his choice. He requested the sirloin strip. Out. OK, how about lamb chops? They were OUT. Out of the first four choices early on a Saturday evening? Not a good start.

Hubby finally settled for the stroganoff and I ordered the sirloin special. An hour and a half after our arrival, the salads were served, followed by the main course another half hour later. My sirloin was dry and tasteless. Hubby's stroganoff was burned! (How do you even do that?) No one in our party of normally upbeat, easy-to-please people was happy with their food.

Service was haphazard. Menus had to be requested in several cases. Waiters took half of our orders and disappeared. Side orders were mixed up. Drink refills had to be requested multiple times. All in all, a very disappointing experience.

On the good side, the ambiance was nice, and the rolls were good.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Before going here, I read multiple reviews. The ones involving food with sauces were usually bad, while the steaks were good and side dishes great. I would have ordered the filet anyway, and advised my friend to order something similar. He wanted skirt steak but it wasn't available so he got a strip steak. The salads were good, perhaps too much dressing for some tastes (several reviews said this) but that could be remedied by asking for it on the side. Lovd the dressing. Both steaks were prepared perfectly and the meat was super tender. I had carrots and green beans as side dishes that were quite good. My friend had the signature fries, sliced like potato chips, and they were to die for. Both of us said we would go again. While in a strip mall, the inside of the restaurant was very pleasant.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

My friends and I meet for lunch once a month, and we try different restaurants. We decided to try Conrad's since we have coupons (from mail ad), plus a friend had mentioned that food was good and not too expensive. It is supposed to be a reasonably priced steakhouse (of course we ware not expecting it to be in the ranks of the more expensive and well known ones like Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Capital Grille). The waiter who served us made us feel like he was doing us a favor and that he's just doing a chore, and we felt unwelcome (every time we order soothing or request for something, we felt like we were imposing). The steak (sirloin tips ) I ordered, sauce was too salty (I thought the chef/owner used to work in some high end gourmet restaurant), most of the pieces were tough(I did get 2 pieces that were tender). My friend's chicken breast was dry and stringy (like leftover, reheated). Price was okay, but with that type of fare, not worth the price. I was pretty disappointed. Might try to eat here again to make sure this is not a one time thing or a fluke. Not sure when to try again since St. Augustine has lots of fabulous ,delicious places to eat. Will review again if I ever go back to Conrad's.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

The service was okay, but the food is bland and just not worthy. Luckily, we had a Groupon certificate because if we had had to pay full price for this meal, it would have been heartbreaking. The sangria was also awful. I chose the beef stroganoff since it is one of my favorite dishes and was terribly disappointed. The sauce was tasteless, when this is usually such a rich wonderful sauce. We will not be visiting here again.