“Nothing to write home about”
Review of Sonny’s BBQ

Sonny’s BBQ
Ranked #176 of 590 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
NW Indiana
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I am not a fan of Sonny's, but we went here anyway. My husband and son said the ribs were OK, but the sides are just average. We like Famous Dave's, but there isn't one in the area.

Visited April 2012

“Great Service”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Decent place for a good meal, service was excellent, the pulled pork was great.

Visited March 2012
Mohawk, Michigan
“had lunch”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

wasn't impressed, had lunch so had the salad bar with ribs on the side

Visited February 2012
San Diego, California
“Abysmal. What a bust!”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I'm a good-natured traveler and a patient guy for the most part. This place tested my patience and sent me away hungry.
Headed for the Jacksonville airport around 2 PM on a Saturday afternoon I was looking for a good barbeque option somewhere not far off I-95. My GPS suggested the Sonny's in St. Augustine.
My experience started in a strange way. My waitress Sarah showed up soon after I was seated and when I asked her recommendations on a couple of choices she proceeded to tell me she was a vegetarian and didn't know why she was working at a meat restaurant. I smiled through that and did get some indications from her as to what was most popular and would come out of the kitchen fairly quickly and I ordered one of their rib options.
My drink arrived shortly after and I busied myself with some business things and e-mail via smartphone. I was getting a little worried as I overheard the same waitress apologizing to two tables nearby about mistakes she'd made. The manager also made a trip and said, "I thought we'd had that problem solved," while not apologizing. Sarah's apologies had an almost humorous, "look what I did again" tone to them.
At 15 minutes Sarah came past the table and said, "Your order will be right out. I just checked on it." Then she disappeared. I mean dematerialized. Gone. Didn't see any sign of her in spite of getting up and walking toward the kitchen in a not-sizeable place. Then while turning around as we passed the 35-minute mark I saw her back in the prep area and a concerned expression crossed her face. 3 minutes later she comes to the table and says, "Sir, the kitchen has lost your order." That's it. I said, "It's been over half an hour since I ordered." She said, "My manager says we can rush the order." I said, "How long will that take?" She said, "I don't know."
At which point I was on my feet and walking away from the table. I didn't want to leave it at that so I stopped at the cashier and asked to speak to the manager. She finally emerged after a couple of minutes and said only, "There was a printer failure in the kitchen." That was all. I asked, "Do I get an apology after waiting half an hour?" She said, "I'm sorry."
This is a dangerous place to try. The kitchen staff was yelling at the wait staff, the hiring is obviously marginal, the manager less than competent, and they were overwhelmed at a slack time of day. Avoid it at all costs.

• Visited February 2012
anywhere
“A real gem!”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Sonny's BBQ is a must for travellers.
The food is authentic and the portions are huge and wils the emptiest stomache!

Visited April 2011