“I had fun”

St Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #11 of 180 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Relive the Golden Age of Piracy at Pat Croce's St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum with the world's largest collection of authentic pirate artifacts; fun, interactive exhibits, including the award-winning Book of Pirates and the spine-tingling Disney Imagineer-designed Below Deck sound experience of Blackbeard’s last battle; the world’s only pirate treasure chest; one of only two existing 17th century Jolly Rogers; and rarely-seen shipwreck treasures from the Florida Division of Historical Resources.
Saint Augustine, Florida
“I had fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I live in St Augustine, and my son came for the day, and we were looking for a attraction that we haven't seen. We went to the Pirate Museum. We had a very good time. We were just in time for a tour, and that just pushed it over the top. Capt. Mayhem, and Diego were entertaining and full of information about Florida and Pirates. If you get a chance to go I would suggest you do so. Kids have a great time too.

• Turkish first
philadelphia area
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 280 helpful votes
“Be sure to take the tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived just as the tour was starting with Captain Mayhem. Its free with your admission and you can go through the museum again once the tour is over. You get a lot more information and its more entertaining. He tries to keep the kids involved along the way.
I'm not really a pirates person and my kids are only into Jack Sparrow so I don't know how much we'll retain but there are some interesting historical items there. The audio experience is really good and creepy and there's a few hands-on things to try. Some paraphernalia from various pirate movies is the last room so you get the glitz along with the guts.

atlanta
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience for any age”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised how interactive this museum was and even the interaction with the real "pirates" was wonderful. They were filled with loads of knowledge about the history of pirates that I actually learned a lot more from the "real" pirates than I did looking at the artifacts. If you go, which I think you should, be sure to get the "guided tour" it is so worth it. My family did the museum 2 times during our stay because it was so good. Go and check it out! I know you'll learn something even if you already know everything. LOL

Sarasota, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Treasured experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Interactive and fun! So many great exhibits displayed creatively. Beautifully done and makes learning fun.

St. Augustine, Florida
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Something for ALL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I visited the museum with my father (65), wife (40 - not real interested in history or pirates), and two kids (8 & 11) and everyone got something out of the museum. Yes, the written descriptions are short but the give the basic information and are easy for young children to follow. There are artifacts, visuals, mannequins, cannons, rifles, interactive computer stalls, audio, and hidden exhibits. There is even an exhibit that incorporates SMELLS into the exhibit, something I've never seen in a museum.

The price is fair for St. Augustine. I've paid much more for much less substantive sites in this town.

My only complaint is that we were not offered a guided tour, which other reviewers have mentioned. We DID encounter a 'pirate' docent during our tour who was quite entertaining and informative, though (ask him about the story of how the Jolly Roger flag was recovered and preserved). It would have been nice to have him or someone like him throughout the entire museum. Still, it was a great visit for my entire group!