“Worthwhile Tour and Worthwhile Chocolate”

Whetstone Chocolates
St Augustine Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour
Ranked #1 of 95 Shopping in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: St. Augustine's "Original Chocolate Tour" led by Whetstone Chocolatiers. You will be introduced t the history and making of chocolate and the Whetstone story. A 4-tiered tasting distinguishes the characteristics of our dark, milk and white chocolate, cocoa nibs and more. Taste freshly made chocolates and confections while you walk through our factory. This tour is for the chocoholic with a discriminating palate searching for the subtleties that define artisan chocolates. A decandantly delicious experience!Whetstone Chocolate Factory and Store. Chocolate Tasting Tours available Monday through Sunday. Store hours Monday through Sunday 10am - 5:30pm.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking
Pinellas Park, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Worthwhile Tour and Worthwhile Chocolate”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you're looking for a fun way to kill an hour, or in our case, beat the steamy-hot pouring rain, head to Whetstone for a tour. Our guide was a little strange, but in a likable way, and he clearly enjoyed his job. The samples were good, but I confess I lost interest a little during the factory portion of the tour (probably because I was thinking about all the chocolate that was waiting for me in the retail shop.) We put our $2 off coupons to good use buying chocolate gifts for friends and coworkers. We thought the the prices were slightly more affordable than Claude's Chocolates (although the chocolate at Claude's is much, much better in my opinion.)

One thing I just have to comment on is the bathroom - I cringed when I saw that the bathroom is actually the utility closet, but as I stood there deciding whether or not to use it, I realized that it was impeccably clean. I mean, SPOTLESS. I couldn't even find dust on the shelves, and yes, I did look. So kudos to the staff for maintaining such cleanliness!

All in all, we found the tour cost to be reasonable and would do again if we had family or friends with us. I regret not trying their frozen hot chocolate so we'll definitely be back for that!

Visited September 2012
Alison C, Public Relations Manager at Whetstone Chocolates, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for joining us for our tour. Were glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and we understand the chocolate in the store can be very distracting. Make sure you come back and try the frozen hot chocolate, it will become a favorite. Happy Holidays.

Cape Breton Island, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very informative along with great tasting”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I thought it was a very interesting tour and our guide Mackray made it a pleasant experience. I found the factory very clean which in this day and age is not always the norm. Bought some goodies on our way out.

Visited November 2012
Were pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We hope you have a wonderful holiday and visit us again soon.
Derry, New Hampshire
“Great Tour”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Loved learning about (and tasting!) great chocolate at the Whetstone Chocolate Factory. MacKeny gave us a great, informative tour and the chocolates were delish! Definitely a worthwhile stop.

Visited November 2012
Were glad you enjoyed the tour. Happy Holidays.
Basel, Schweiz
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“not really worth the money”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

the tour itself it's not really worth the 8$ you pay for. The samples you get are delicious but limited to 5 per person. The tour itself is mostly sitting in chairs and listening to some basic information from a guy which tells you a lot of things but not really in an interesting way. Factory part itself is just very short of it.
Better spend the money in buying some chocolate directly in store than wasting your time with the tour first.

2 Thank bs1893
Alison C, Public Relations Manager at Whetstone Chocolates, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Were sorry you did not enjoy your tour. We strive to inform our customers to the best of our ability facts about chocolate. We are here to be a fun, creative, informative and interactive tour, not something you feel you wasted your money on. Sorry our tour did not appeal to you, we hope you at least took advantage of the discount offered to you at the store after the tour was over. We wish you happy holidays.
Miami Beach, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lots of fun for the whole family”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The tour of the chocolate factory was great..plus the free samples they give you. I am so glad we came here, learned about how they make the chocolate and they show you different machines they use. Definitely worth stopping here.