“These were good...for Popsicles! Lol”
Review of The Hyppo

The Hyppo
Ranked #1 of 43 Dessert in St. Augustine
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The Hyppo is a gourmet popsicle shop that makes all of its own products using only fresh, natural ingredients. From fresh basil to ripe mangoes to blazing ghost peppers, you're sure to find flavor combinations here that expand the notion of what an ice pop can be. All pops are gluten free and vegetarian, and about half of our selection is dairy free. We use Florida evaporated cane juice to mildly sweeten the fruits and herbs before their flash-freeze onto a small birch stick. On a hot day in the historic district, this is the pinnacle of flavorful refreshment. Open late.
“These were good...for Popsicles! Lol”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Popsicles, but really good. The watermelon( which I'm not usually crazy about, but I had to try everyone's;) tastes just like fresh watermelon juice, not the fake watermelon taste:)

St. Augustine, Florida
“rip off”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We are agreed this popsicle shop is WAY overpriced for what you are getting. I don't know who can afford that much money for frozen fruit.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank Maris C
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Hipster rip-off of mexican pelatas/popsicles you'd find in socal and mexico...”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife loves this places for the event of taking our kid downtown for a special treat, but to be honest I find the place a little pretentious and don't really understand the rabid fan base and almost cult-status of this place. I guess if I wanted to feel extra hipster-ish in my deep V and girl jeans, I'd go get an overpriced unconventionally flavored popsicle (Basil!!!! Mint!!! Cucumber!!! so rebellious it's like Food Network on a stick).

If you think about how much it costs to whip up a batch of pops and the prices they sell them for you'd get a little angry and wonder why they aren't cheaper. I mean it's like paying $10 for a bowl of soup...it's almost all water!!!!! Quality-wise I remember getting a coconut "mexi-popsicle" from the street vendors in southern California for a dollar, and it cost exacty the same.

It's not like the popsicles are organic or hormone-free or some other "eco" reason that would justify the high price. Hell the organic lime popsicle I buy at Whole Foods in Jax costs half what Hyppo charges.

But hey, tourists will still flock here and agonize over their popsicle flavor like it's the last choice they're ever going to make...suburban tennis moms and golf dads from Palencia and the shores will still come and feel a little "outsiderish" for slumming it.

Enjoy your pop! Me? I'm going to Publix where I can buy a box of 6 all-fruit Fruitfull popsicles for the same price. Heck...I'll sell you one...cheap!

• Visited August 2012
6 Thank sunking247
Pinellas Park, Florida
“Poppopotamus”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

From all the reviews, it looks like you either really love this place, or you really don't. We are happy to be counted in the many that LOVED our popsicles from The Hyppo! After a terrific dinner at The Floridian, we walked to The Hyppo for dessert on our first night in town. I opted for the Pineapple Cilantro and loved every bite. The texture is not for the faint of heart, but it was citrusy-sweet-herbaceous-goodness on a stick! Hubby really enjoyed his Datil Strawberry. The remaining two nights we were in town, our desserts were rather disappointing and left us wishing we had visited The Hyppo each night instead. Oh well - now we know!

• Visited September 2012
Port Orange
“Definitely different!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I came here because we were so intrigued by the strange flavors. I was far from impressed by the service, but it's not like they spit on my popsicle before serving it, so I don't really care. I got the pineapple-cilantro (great flavor- horrific texture), and my girlfriend got the strawberry-basil, which was incredible!

They're pretty expensive, so if you're on a budget and/or you're not very adventurous, try to stick with one of the more "normal" flavors. After I sucked all of the juice out of my pineapple one, I was kind of grossed out by the pulpy weirdness of what remained, and tossed it out. The flavors are all at least fun to try, and if you are up for spending a couple of extra bucks, buy one or two more popsicles than there are people in your group, so that you can sample more of a variety.

Visited August 2012