“Exceeded expectations”

Old City House Inn and Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Old City House Inn and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 589 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: International Restaurant With Full Bar Out Door Siting Front And Court Yard Cozy Ambience Also B&b 7 Rooms,free Parking,manager Hours, Breakfast Included, Free Wi-fi In The Rooms Weddings, Weddings Reception, Private Party Available
“Exceeded expectations”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Recommended by local friends, we enjoyed the entire evening. Wine was excellent including house Merlot. My wife ordered the filet and described it as outstanding and prepared exactly. Mine was the Roast Pork which was also wonderful. The plate presentation was magnificent and the server attentive without being intrusive. We will go back when in the area

Pittsburgh
“Absolutely marvelous!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Our b&b made a reservation for us at this restaurant after a long discussion about the best places for dinner in St. Augustine. We could not have asked for a better recommendation. Parking was on site (it's limited and a bit obscure, so just ask at the entrance) which was great on a cold rainy night in a town without a lot of street lighting.

Mack, who greeted us and turned out to be our waiter, was charming. We had previously eaten appetizers elsewhere, so went right to the main course which was served with a fresh baby leaf lettuce salad. I ordered the boneless rack of lamb and my husband the cioppino. My lamb was perfectly prepared medium rare with just the right amount of au jus, accompanied by thinly sliced roasted red potatoes and a generous serving of al dente asparagus. The cioppino was an abundant serving of PEI mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, and fish, all in a well flavored, slightly tangy (not spicy) tomato broth with a large toasted slice of baguette. Mack seemed very knowledgeable about the various wines offered (about 20 each of whites and reds plus about five that seemed to be uncategorized), but we didn't give him much of an opportunity to enlighten us because we quickly chose an excellent Malbec. If I had to state one nitpick, it would be that both our salads had a bit too much dressing, but that may just be personal preference.

We ended our meal by sharing a creme brûlée which was perfectly prepared.

In short, we can't say enough nice things about this restaurant--food, service and value. I understand the ownership has recently changed, so if you have been here before and underwhelmed, please give it another try.

Central FL
“So glad about new chef and owners”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Wow, what a difference in the quality of the food since our previous visits over many past years. I selected "a la carte" items while my husband ordered the beef tenderloin dinner and we shared the delicious food. The bartender made a excellent sangria for my husband and specially requested stuffed blue cheese olives for my martini. The appetizer of a scallop and shrimp was too salty for us but both items were tender. The crab bisque was out of this world. My house salad was huge so I took half home. The vinegar-based salad dressing (on the side) was wonderful. My husband's beef tenderloin was super tender and cooked to perfection. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and the restaurant acknowledged it with a complimentary creme brulee dessert. We went early and lucked out with a window table. Mack, our server, knew the answer for whatever questions that we had which doesn't happen at many restaurants. We can't wait to go back for another treat.

1 Thank sweetgrits1950
Palm Coast, Florida
“A great experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here and we truly were impressed. A small complimentary appetizer started us off and from there on everything was spot on from service, preparation, taste and presentation. For appetizers my wife had the Crab Bisque and it was by far the best we've had and I had a seared sea scallop with shrimp on a polenta cake with a chorizo sauce that was fantastic. For dinner she had the Filet Mignon and I had the Chilean Sea Bass which was flawlessly prepared and presented, by far one of the best I've had in a restaurant; I'm very critical of how fish is served. Deserts were just the topper of a fine meal, crème brulee and a white chocolate cheesecake were simply delightful. We look forward to returning soon.

1 Thank RedFishCatcher
Titusville, Florida
“Small gem”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The food was very good. The dining room is small. I did not find it romantic because of the open dining room. The menu is limited but everything we had was delicious.

Visited February 2014