“Food trumped the Appearance”

Casa Benedetto's Ristorante
Ranked #7 of 589 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Casa Benedetto's is a family owned restaurant featuring authentic Sicilian homestyle cooking. We come from a long line of talented cooks who believe that the best food comes from using the freshest best ingredients available prepared with love and attention to detail.We pride ourselves in keeping alive the traditional "holiday foods" we grew up with that not many care to take the time & trouble to prepare from scratch in our busy modern world. Casa Benedetto's is open for lunch and dinner Monday thru Saturday We always have Sinatra singing in the background, fresh linens on the tables& candlelight in the evenings. Our staff is trained to make your visit a pleasant one and we strive to meet all special dietary needs or favorite dishes that may be missing from our menu that you desire Gluten free meals are always available.We are accepting cash or debit for payment in an effort to keep our prices competitive. We are closed on Sundays but do open for Mother's Day Sunday.
Athens, Georgia
“Food trumped the Appearance”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Not much to look at, very little inside, and parking was not abundant. The food, however, was really good. That is, after you add some salt and pepper. I'm sure that is on purpose for people who can't have it or don't like very much. We had a large group and everyone appeared to like their meal and they all had large servings. I had the chicken marsala and can say that I wasn't really a fan. Didn't like the breading that was on the chicken. I would have liked it better not breaded. Tasted kind of doughy because of the sauce on it. Wasn't really a fan of the sauce either but the pasta was really good. They were very accommodating and the waitress was excellent.

Visited June 2013
RT6357, Owner at Casa Benedetto's Ristorante, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. You are exactly correct about our belief in using no added salt in preparing our food. I only put a little salt in my soups because they would be way too bland without it. You can always add salt & pepper to your liking but oversalted food is really bad for many of our guests and we pride ourselves on being a place where everyone can enjoy a meal without worrying about diet restrictions. We have gluten free meals, vegetarian meals, and are always willing to alter our recipies as requested if possible.
Usually our sprinkling of Locatelli romano cheese to finish off our dishes adds enough saltiness.
I am surprised that you did not enjoy our Marsala as most reviewers seem to love it. We do not bread the cutlets, they are just lightly floured,sauteed and then simmered in our fresh made sauce.We do not use a thick gravy, just a delicate broth made with mushrooms sauteed in butter, a flash of sweet marsala wine and our homemade chicken stock.Since you enjoyed our red sauce I think you would perhaps enjoy some of our other dishes madee with red sauce like lasagna or chicken parm if you visit again.
About the parking,we are a stand alone building with spaces in the front and to the rear with a ramp that is wheelchair accessible. AS we only have eight tables inside this should be adequate most of the time. Sometimes we do have seating on the deck & it does become crowded but parking is generaly not a problem.
We have tried to make the most of our small space by decorating with family knicknacks and photos which many guests really enjoy. It is an older building but that gives it charm and fits in with St Augustine's old world ambience. But as you pointed out, it really is all about the food!!!
Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts on your experience at CasaBenedetto's.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Augustine, Florida
“excellent”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was a return visit because the food was so good the first time.The second visit was even better. The salad (which had disappointed me previously) was excellent, and we took advantage of the mid-week deal from a special menu which gave us more than enough choices and included salad, entree, and dessert for a very reasonable price. I can't wait until we're back in the area and can return to this wonderful restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
RT6357, Owner at Casa Benedetto's Ristorante, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about CasaBenedetto's. We are happy that you were pleased with our salad this time around. I believe that on your first visit we were unable to procure our usual dark green Romaine lettuce and were using Romaine hearts that gave you the impression of iceberg lettuce.
Thank you also for mentioning our Pasta Dinner Deal on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.We try to give a good value to our guests because we know how tough these economic times are. It is for this reason that we suggest payment by cash or if necessary debit card to try to keep merchant fees down and our prices competitive.
Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
“Hidden Gem of a Restaurant Near Crescent Beach”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

When we walked through the doors of a quaint looking A-framed building that houses Case Benedetto's, my friend and I both exclaimed almost simultaneously -- it feels like home! Cute, lace covered tables, a modge-podge of old-worldsy looking decor, Sinatra and Caruso in the background -- and on a sultry hot summer day, we were the first guests of the day!

But "home" is not home without a good home-cooked meal -- and neither of us were disappointed on that score either. My vodka penne -- ooh la, la! My friend's chicken parm & penne -- double ooh-la-la. But one of the real 'kickers' was the perfectly baked tiny loaves of crusty, warm bread served w/parsley butter & some cappelini(?) -- and later at home, sampling the made-from-scratch tiramasu!

From start to finish, this was a spectactacular luncheon w/trimmings under $25. Our waitress/hostess was warm & chatty w/o being intrusive -- for pricing, flavor, and atmosphere -- Casa Benedetto's has it all wrapped up in a cozy embrace for visitors to savor.

St. Marys, Georgia
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

One of the high points on every trip to St. Augustine. Everything at Casa Benedetto's Italian Caffe is made to order, based on recipes that go back in this family for generations...and it is devine...The hand hammered veal is my favorite, but the menu is amazing....Robyn overseas the kitchen and her Tiramasu is the most delicious thing I have ever had....Highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family.....Truly great restaurant....

Port Saint John, Florida, United States
“Real Italian food and great service”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I had seen the reviews and while visiting Saint Augustine we just had to try this restaurant. It was all that the great reviews said it was. Real Italian homemade cooking just like my fully Italian grandmother use to make when I was young, the great taste brought back such special memories. We both loved it so much, that when we visit Saint Augustine again we will make sure we definitely eat there again. The service was also wonderful, it was true service with a smile and you could tell it was not a fake smile, our server wanted to make sure we were well taken care of and we sure, she also made us feel so welcomed. The owner Jay that greeted us was also so very welcoming. This is a must stop if you love real Italian home cooking.

1 Thank Steve0816