“A Good Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, Canada
“A Good Hotel”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We three stayed one night in mid-April. The inn is easy to find, but note you need to make a U-turn when northbound about 200 feet past the hotel entrance on the 4-lane mall access road to get to it, since it's on the southbound side of the road. Reception was very friendly. The one elevator was speedy enough. We were on the second floor opposite the parking lot. It was quiet. The air conditioning made the usual 'humming' noise, but was effective. The bathroom was good, but there was no individual fan; only an air vent. The unit was clean. There is both wired and wireless internet, which worked well. The room had two double beds - not queens. The room was compact and efficiently laid out, but there wasn't a feeling of 'roominess'. The beds were comfortable. We used the pool, which was nice and clean. The hot tub was not working. Note that they permit smoking in the pool area, which surprised us a bit. Breakfast was good. They had adequate seating for the crowd on hand at 08:30, but we thought it might get crowded if the hotel were busier. There was a good variety of food, including scrambled eggs and sausage patties along with a selection of cereals and juices. They had only one pepper shaker available on the food counter. Oddly, they had no salt - they had run out (we thought one of the staff could have gone to the Publix grocery store down the highway to buy some). We easily arranged a one-hour late check out at 13:00. Overall a very good hotel, but a few shortcomings kept us from rating it a 5.

Room Tip: The rooms on the east side, directly opposite the parking lot, are on the side away from the Interst...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Maryville, TN, USA
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have stayed at Fairfield Inns in the past and have been satisfied. But this one needs serious management attention. Although most of the staff seemed to try hard, and were all congenial, the service & quality were just not here.

For starters, there was insufficient coffee in the room for our "wake up cup" before going down to breakfast. Sufficient coffee was left on following mornings after leaving a note for the maid. There was no floor mat to step onto when exiting the tub. And the carpet needed vacuuming when we arrived and on the 2nd day. After leaving the maid a note it was finally cleaned.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. Seating was very limited, lines were long to get to the food of which there often was insufficient quantity. And when I searched for the pepper shakers I was told "I know there is one here somewhwere". I suggested that the attendant go to Wal-Mart and buy some. Next day several were available. The waffle machine went up in smoke (literally) on the first morning so waffles were not an option during our stay.

This was a decent location for visiting St Augustine, but given a choice we will stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Avoid "connecting rooms" unless you are close friends or relatives with the folks staying...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great location by the interstate and very close to outlet parks. Good price and only 6 miles from the historical district. Very nice personal working at the front desk. Hotel was very clean. Easy to access WiFi. Pool and Jacuzzi were wonderful.

Room Tip: We had the King mini suite. Bedroom had a king size bed and the living room had a couch that you co...
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and young daughter for a weekend away in St. Augustine. The location is ideal, not too close to the sometimes noisy attractions but still a quick drive. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room. When traveling with toddlers, it can be hectic as they touch everything, but I was put to ease when I saw how well kept the room was. The staff was kind and helpful, nothing bad to say here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kylee L
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Room was pretty standard but was clean and comfortable. Reliable and easy-to-access WiFi. Pool and Jacuzzi were wonderful. Hot breakfast offered although it consisted of powdered eggs, frozen biscuits, and pre-packaged sausage gravy. The pork sausage patties were pretty good.

Venice FL
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I took a trip to St. Augustine last summer. Instead of paying the price for a hotel downtown, we paid significantly less and stayed here at the Fairfield. The drive into downtown was easy and we were able to to find affordable parking at one of the many lots in the historic district. The rooms were new and clean. Ours was a bit smaller than expected was fine for our purposes. The internet was fast and met our needs. Breakfast was as expected and overall, everything was great. I would definitely stay here again in the future if we return for another trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a newer property and nicer than many Fairfields. I stayed with points, so not sure of the cost, but would be a great place for a family.
They have old school doors that could be opened for adjoining rooms. Not sure if this was the culprit, but I could hear every word from the room next door.
We had a 2 double bed room. Great service at the front desk. They were welcoming, had maps and lots of suggestions. Our room had no soap or shampoo, but they showed up with supplies and an apology 5 minutes after I called. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean.
The free breakfast was ok.
The location is pretty good, on the same road as the premium outlets, 2 miles from the regular outlets and 30 minutes from the beach.
I'd stay here again.