“Hidden Gem in St. Augustine, Fl.”

The Back 40 Urban Cafe
Ranked #10 of 601 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Away from the tourist attractions that make this city a great place to visit, there is a small restaurant called The Back 40 Urban Cafe. Price point is very good, portions are very generous (leftovers are great for lunch the next day) and the service is excellent. Black bean hummus was a new experience for me.
Paula K.

3  Thank Paula K

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I think this has been the least expensive meal so far for us here in St Augustine! We split the black bean hummus with pita and vegetables. It was flavorful! I got the avocado and red pepper tacos with beans and brown rice. Portions are big, so half of it will be lunch today. Seasoning was just right, so that I could actually taste the food I was eating and not a salt mixture. My husband got a salad with peanut dressing. He loved it! I will be looking a recipe to make this dressing! Service was quick! This is the kind of place you accidentally discover if you took a wrong turn off the beaten path. It isn't touristy at all. If you like good food that isn't salty, and want to save money this is the spot for you!

4  Thank sarac891
Reviewed October 20, 2012

When I saw this restaurant at #3 here and found out they could do gluten free we made the trip. It is out of the way but well worth it! The wait staff was obviously very knowledgable about what I could have and what they could make gluten free. Everything was out of this world delicious including the gluten free tacos that I ordered. The meals were huge and we could have easily split them. We had a very good experience and will definitely go back when we return to St. Augustine.

3  Thank Kimlyb61
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The place is out of the way and in an old house. We picked it because it was in the TA top 10 for St Augustine. I agree with the high rating. Food was great and wine ($18 for a bottle) was cheap. We had the nachos (huge - a meal in itself) as an appetizer. I had the chicken pot pie and the wife had a veggie entree. We had to take most of the entrees in take out boxes. Waitress was great and gave us a great tip for the next night's dinner (
Collage). They also have a back deck dining patio, but it was full when we arrived.

6  Thank Robert R
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Back 40 isn't near the beaches or the old town district, but was worth the trip to find it. They have an electic selection of sandwiches, wraps and salads. Upon the recommendation of the waitress, we tried the soup of the day it it was truly fantastic. Its base was tomatillo, avocado, lime and hominy and the flavors were very vibrant. It was so good, that we stopped the next day just for the soup for lunch on the way out of town. Out entrees the first day were both good, but nothing to get excited about. The soup was a different story!

4  Thank PhilK58