“Off the beaten tourist trail”

The Back 40 Urban Cafe
Ranked #8 of 584 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Orlando, FL
“Off the beaten tourist trail”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We found this little place from Trip Advisor. It's a bit out of the way, but once we did we were very pleased. It's small and unassuming but we had a wonderful lunch and great, friendly services. The vegetarian 3 bean chili was wonderful and my boyfriend really enjoyed his wrap. A lot of food-mostly wraps, sandwiches and salads. Prices are excellent and I think we were the only tourists there as it was filled with locals. Always a good sign!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Arabella47

Miami
“Third review of Back 40: Excellent again.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Today we started with the Peruvian chicken and roasted corn chowder, and found it rich and hearty, with a hint of under-lying ‘silkiness’ hard to identity. Possibly a bit too spicy for some, but we enjoyed it very much.

I moved onto the turkey Rueben, which was piled high with freshly baked turkey. My companion had the Moroccan spiced mahi-mahi salad, with roasted corn, black bean salsa, peanuts, and chive vinaigrette that was unique. The salad came with two thick slices of mahi with a special glaze. The two large pieces of fresh mahi would have alone constituted a complete and expensive dinner in larger cities. (Just how fresh? I saw the owner personally filleting huge fillets of fresh mahi just minutes before our salad arrived.)

The service from the always effervescent Ariel was superb, and she was ably assisted by Rae. At their very busiest we asked for two extras, and were given them promptly, cheerfully, and without charge.

A ‘perfect’ restaurant? Not quite. We would like for them to re-introduce their special ‘Sopa Verde’ (green soup) that stole our culinary hearts (and the hearts of many others in Saint Augustine), and, their creamy soups from earlier days. And, they sadly do not yet have ‘New York style’ cheesecake, a ‘must’ in our opinion.

But the experience today was satisfying and gratifying. Gratifying, as we are always thankful for restaurants that work so hard to keep their customers.

Incidentally, when there today, maybe 75% of their customers were repeat customers, some of them visiting so often they are treated like family.

In a small town, this means a lot.

Again, excellent.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank energy98
“Eat here all the time!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We found this place several months ago and are glad we did! My family and friends eat here several times a week. There isn't anything on the menu we haven't tried, and we like it all! Some nights are busy, some lunches are busy, but the staff is friendly and the wait is never usually that long. The wet burrito with jerked chicken it's my favorite, my wife likes the jerked chicken nachos, and my son loves the kids pizza! I would highly recommend stopping in giving it a try! You will NOT be disappointed!

3 Thank Husbeast
Odessa, Florida
“Great food, outstanding service”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have been to Back 40 Cafe several times and have never had a meal I didn't thoroughly enjoy.
The staff is friendly and efficient and the varied menu will make choices difficult. If you are in St. Augustine, it is a must go to!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ron B
St. Augustine, Florida
“not impressed..”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Read reviews and thought this place was going to be good. After waiting for what seemed like an hour for our food we were delivered a cold burger (well, meatloaf), which wasn't tasty at all, and my husband had a the chicken peanut salad that had uncooked noodles as a garnish!!! i mean like, inedible rock hard noodles that i almost choked on. we even tried getting our servers attention but she apparently had more important things to do, NEVER coming back to this place. thanks for ruining our night!

• Visited September 2012