“Highest quality food of any restaurant its size in Saint Augustine.”

The Back 40 Urban Cafe
Ranked #8 of 579 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Mexican, American, Soups, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Miami
“Highest quality food of any restaurant its size in Saint Augustine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

During our fourth dinner at the Back 40, I asked the manager if she had any more of the delicious cornbread offered as a special several days before. They'd just sold out the cornbread and chili special-of-the-day, but she was gracious enough to find one last piece, and warm it up just for us. I told her the cornbread was better than my Grandmother’s –a renown southern cook- and in fact was the best I’ve ever eaten.

We believe the Back 40 Urban Café has the most delicious food of any restaurant its size in Saint Augustine. While based on a somewhat Asian/vegetarian theme, their dishes do include beef, fish and chicken, and the servings are generous and filling. Ask for the smoked sweet potato soup; a ‘10’.

My wife likes the eccentric beer brands offered, and the house wines are actually under-priced.

The Back 40 is one of our latest ‘finds’ (of course known to others for years), and we would recommend it to those wishing for ‘home-made’ food served in a warm informal setting.

• Visited January 2012
4 Thank energy98

“Off the beaten path and worth the trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Very quaint atmosphere and super welcoming staff. For a few dollar more than you would spend at a crappy chain, the Back 40 offers a much better dining experience.

4 Thank Mackeac
Wilmington, Ohio
“hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

This place is the bomb if you like jerk chicken. A little hard to find and small, but do yourself a favor and try this place. Freshest and tastiest food we had on our trip

Visited January 2012
3 Thank tomnii
Tybee Island, Georgia
“Delish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

What a neat little place. Great food and pleasant service.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank upbeatlass
Bloomington, Illinois
“Shamed into going, ashamed I have not already been.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

My family was in St Augustine over the Christmas holidays and I mentioned going to the Columbia. My niece, Rae, who waitresses at the Back 40 shamed me into going to the restaurant where she worked. We went and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was excellent and the wait staff was outstanding, though I have to admit I may be biased. Thanks Rae!

5 Thank harperhomewa