“Hog Heaven”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I always like to start my reviews by saying that my family is SUPER picky and critical when we go out to eat. What that means is that when we find a place we like and think is good, it better be REALLY good. We have gone to too many very mediocre places that are supposedly "great". SO, for Smokin' D's to garner a 5 from us means that the food we had there was unbelieveable.

We stopped in to Smokin' D's because of the reviews on trip advisor. We were coming back from the beach and stopped to try the brisket and the pork. The did not have any brisket much to our dismay and we were of the frame of mind that "it's worth a try" Let me just say: it was the BEST bbq pork we have ever had. My very "selective" husband's comment: I think this is the best bbq pork I've ever had", and we've tried quite a bit of bbq. It was smoked to perfection. Tender. And best of all: NOT FATTY!!! We watched the young man working there chop our order. Have you ever had a bbq sandwich that was just the whole pork butt chopped up, all the fat included? Well....this was NOT that AT ALL. It truly was succulent and amazing. We tried the sweet sauce, the spicy sauce and the house sauce, each was very good. We will DEFINITELY go back and are looking forward to having brisket next time!

If you like authentic bbq (not Sonny's or chain places), I HIGHLY recommned you try this place.
You will not be sorry. Some notes: they don't take credit cards and you either take-out, eat in your car, or sit outside (even though there aren't tables). Enjoy!!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The food was no joke. If you like bar b q make this a place to check out. They have no tables so prepare to eat out in the parking lot or in the car. We sat on the curb (picnic style). I was not really into their beans but the rice and slaw were excellent. All the meats were made to perfection and wrapped in paper.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

This place was recommended to me by a guy who is from Vero Beach and says he always makes a point to stop here if traveling north. There is only outdoor seating so it's perfect for taking back to your place. I had the pork, which consisted of a healthy serving of chunks of barbecued pork that was more tender than I have ever had. It also had the perfect amount of smokiness and they don't smother the meat in sauce (great sauce choices served on the side. My wife had a half rack of ribs and they too were incredibly tender and perfectly smoky. Sides consisted of coleslaw that was very well prepared-not the swimming in mayo kind-and barbecued beans that included black, kidney and navy, with bell pepper...really great! If you are in St. Augustine, you have to visit this place, the owner is a barbecue genius!!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Smokin' D's isn't a restaurant, but a take-out BBQ joint. There's no place to eat other than the parking lot, or standing on the lawn. No real "atmosphere" but a bit of "mojo", I'd say. Order up, lay down your cash on the barrelhead, get your goods and head on out. BBQ was no-foolin', and really good the night we stopped by (and it's amazing to me how much BAD barbecue is out there....). Beef brisket, pulled pork and sides (rice and beans, slaw) all were top-notch. Sauces pretty good also. Definitely made the list!

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Just got back from a business trip and didn't have time to cook dinner. So I decided to use my backup plan, Smokin'Ds BBQ.

I ordered the Yard Bird special, which comes with a whole smoked chicken, two sides and sauce. I decided on the beans and coleslaw for sides and the house special and Memphis BBQ sauce.

Took home and reheated two hours later for dinner, my says this is as good as yours or even better.

Great dinner for only $17.00.