“Wonderful food, relaxing atmosphere”

Casa Maya Restaurant
Ranked #76 of 590 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Cozy house-turned-restaurant dispatching upmarket Latin dishes inside or on its patio & terrace.
Grand Rapids
“Wonderful food, relaxing atmosphere”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We visited Casa Maya in April 2010. It was a wonderful experience. We had the queso appetizer, which was more like cheese fajitas. The cheese was baked in a dish and then you scooped it out into warm tortilla shells. It was delicious. For my main course I had the ropa vieja and it was fantastic. The meat was seasoned just right so it left a nice, warm taste in your mouth. For dessert, I had the cafe con leche and it was the perfect drink: enough coffee for after dinner and enough sweetness to count as a dessert!

Our waitress was very knowlegable and made great recommendations. There were also quite a few locals there, which I take to be a good sign!

1 Thank Abbndy

Connecticut
“Authentic, Fresh, and Delicious”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Based upon reviews, we went to Casa Maya. Sometimes you read these reviews and your expectations are high and you're disappointed, but our dinner surpassed any expectations, it was excellent. Our favorites were the mollet, the grouper, plantains were as good as any I've had in South America. Everything was fresh, organic, and the menu had lots of variety and something for everyone (try the quesadilla's, they are hard to resist!).

1 Thank templelm
Boston
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

This restaurant did not open until Wednesday so we patiently waited. We arrived at opening on that day. As we waited for our food we noticed how thorough they were cleaning the outside area for anticipated diners. Very impressed. Our dinner was great. We have never had Mayan food and our waitress was very patient explaining everything to us. We made the right choices. You must have the water here. It is so refreshing with a combination of lemon, orange and cucumber slices. It was great. I highly recommend this restaurant as a unique experience.

1 Thank BostonLadybug
Denver, Colorado
“Delicious and Authentic”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I live in Florida and visit St. Augustine often. I've never seen this restaurant before. My parents came to visit and found Casa Maya with great reviews on Tripadvisor. They go to the Yucatan once a year and were excited to have this type of food in the U.S. We were not disappointed. Authentic and delicious, not Tex-Mex. The soup is fantastic (can't remember the name but like a Tortilla Soup). They have in- and outdoor seating, however, it's a bit cramped inside. We had our one-year old with us, and though they were very accommodating, everything was in his reach due to the tight quarters (not good when he reached for the salsa!). More suitable for lunch. Overpriced a bit, but I think that's St. Augustine. Our waitress/owner was very friendly and we had a wonderful time. Definitely worth a stop.

Atlanta
“Going back for dinner”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Went for lunch based on great reviews. We each had one of the grilled sandwiches and shared a smoothie. Excellent well prepared with sophiscated flavors. We were so disappointed in our other meals in St Augustine that we decided to go back for dinner this evening. Since it's still off-season here we didn't have to wait for a table but I'm sure they're slammed in a few weeks. Very nice wait staff. I'm a tough reviewer and rarely give 5 stars but this was pretty darned close.

1 Thank RL-ATL