“A few tweaks and it could be great”

Casa Maya Restaurant
Ranked #79 of 579 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cozy house-turned-restaurant dispatching upmarket Latin dishes inside or on its patio & terrace.
St. Augustine, Florida
“A few tweaks and it could be great”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We hadn't been to Casa Maya since they moved across the street into larger quarters in the former home of novelist Jack Hunter. The building is beautiful-old Spanish style in an old Spanish style city. We sat in the patio...and sat... and sat... I finally asked a passing kitchen worker (more about this later) to please get our waiter. So we waited... and waited... My wife was parched so she finally went inside and got water from the bartender. Finally a nice enough waiter arrived. My wife ordered the tortilla soup. I had the cochinita pibil which is basically Yucatecan BBQ pork. We also both had some red Sangria which was very good. It wasn't syrupy sweet like many Sangrias and, to us, this is preferable. The tortila soup had a good flavor but was barely warm. My dish was flavorful on the outside but the flavor did not penetrate the meat and so was internally dry. The rice was dry too. I was hoping to catch the waiter's eye to order some pico de gallo to moisten the rice but he was conversing with friends. I finally had to call him over for this. Oh-remember the passing kitchen worker? There was a constant parade of them from the main house thru the patio to an outbuilding which must be where they wash the dishes. It was way too public, constant and disrupting. If they could straighten out a few of these things they could be really good and the setting is beautiful. I understand the owners were absent the day we were there but some of this would have been the same anyway.

Jacksonville, Florida
“Fantastic Food in a Relaxed Setting”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is one of the nicest meals I have ever had. It is a lot more authentic than the usual faux-Mexican style restaurants. I had the Aztec Pork and it was genuinely one of the nicest dishes I have ever eaten. The restaurant itself is stylish but homely and although there was a big party of over 20 in at the same time as our group of 4 it never felt like the waitress was struggling. I'm not sure what happened to those people rating this place as terrible but they must have been very unlucky or unreasonable, as I wouldn’t hesitate to eat here again and again. I’d love to come back in the summer and sit outside, I’m sure it gets pretty busy though!

Greer, SC
“Garden atmosphere & a wonderful meal....”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Off the beaten path on Hypolita St, our first night in St. Augustine left us in a daze with the amazing number of restaurants to choose from. After wandering aimlessly on a perfectly unseasonably warm night and wanting to eat outside, we opted for Casa Maya. We were lead thru the restaurant & bar to an outside patio. We sat next to the garden, with fresh mint leaves growing (already thinking "mojitos") and close to a small stage. We started with cocktails and the typically chips & salsa, warm fresh chips that really didn't taste poured out of a bag and great salsa with just enough spice. We ordered the Mahi-mahi topped with shrimp and a green-pepper sauce with a great flavor, not too spicy. The entertainment was excellent, a single guitarist who's style reminded us both of a Spanish-infused Dave Matthews (being a small courtyard, we really appreciated being able to enjoy the music but still able to hold a conversation ;-). Well done.

• Visited February 2013
“Average and would not recommend to friends as St augustine has many places to eat”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The beautiful night and eating on the porch saved this meal. The waitress got 2 items on our meal wrong including totally forgetting to place an order for a main course we ordered. The food was ok. Nothing bad and nothing special for a very large price. Many other places you can eat at for the money in this wonderful city.

St Augustine Beach
“.... :-/ ...”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Eeeeeeewwe, NOT a good place at All. I was so disappointed. I actually saw a cook walk out with a tub of guacomole, GROSS!! Authentic?? I think NOT! Skip it & go across the street to the Sky. Ask for Michael, he's FABBBULOUS!!