“New location, but same wonderful food and great service”

Casa Maya Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 597 Restaurants in St. Augustine
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Cozy house-turned-restaurant dispatching upmarket Latin dishes inside or on its patio & terrace.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I've eaten at Casa Maya many times in the past and the only issue we've ever had was getting a table. Their original location had very limited seating and I was very pleased to see that they've moved directly across the street on Hypolita, into a newly remodeled house. The new digs are great!

The food is great, fresh, healthier and flavorful and Casa Maya is one of our favorite destinations for lunch in St. Augustine. My personal favorite (which I get more often than not) is the Fish Tacos. They are some of the very best I've had anywhere. And Casa Maya's special blend habernero sauce provides just the right amount of "kick" to the dish.

Congratulaions to Casa Maya for the new location!

There are newer reviews for Casa Maya Restaurant

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

My better half and I were walking around St Augustine and both wanted lunch so I did what any modern woman would do: I whipped out my phone and looked for nearby restaurants with good reviews. After seeing the ratings Casa Maya had received, we decided to give it a try.

The restaurant was crowded when we arrived but they did have seating available on the patio. We decided to take it, despite the weather being overcast. The host and the wait staff were very friendly and attentive. We chose our dishes and didn't have to wait long at all to receive them. I had a salad with shrimp and mango that was great (there were a lot of shrimp in the salad, which is nice, considering the way some restaurants skimp on the shrimp), and while I can't remember what my guy had, I do remember that he liked it. The salsa was really good too; hot but not overpowering. I say Casa Maya is worth a visit!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Love going to Casa Maya! The food is always fresh and they make the BEST guacamole in town. Oh! and don't forget to try their homemade sangria with tons of fresh fruit mixed in.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

When my wife and I travel to different cities, especially those known for their food, one night we’ll do an appetizer tour. We’ll stop at several restaurants and sit at the bar (so as not to waste a table) and order some drinks and an appetizer or two. This was our second stop in St. Augustine for the evening.

Now for those that hear Mexican and think burritos, tacos, and nachos, please make sure to discover there is more. Casa Maya is one of those places. We sat at the bar, served by the owner’s son, and had molletes. Think Mexican flat bread covered with pico de gallo, with beans and cheese. We added chorizo to ours. The flatbread was incredible and made even better with a few drops of homemade smoky hot sauce. If we hadn’t been set for the appetizer tour, and a specific final destination, we would have stayed. But I took a second look at the menu and saw “Breakfast.” So we came back.

Here’s the thing about eating globally, there are different things for breakfast too. Casa Maya offers Mexican breakfasts. My wife had a vegetarian omelet, that included avocado and Mexican cheese with refried beans on the side. I went down the path of chilaquiles, strips of tortillas simmered in green mole, with onions and Mexican cheese, topped with two over medium eggs. With each bite you could just feel yourself at a breakfast table in a home on the Yucatan. I again added the few drops of that homemade hot sauce.

All in all, we’ll be back on our next visit or even if we are just passing by.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Very romantic for dinner, the food is so so good. Very authentic. Great service! We loved that it's family owned and operated, our waiter was the owner's son!