“Pervasive mildew smell undercuts upscale offerings”

Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine I-95
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 1, 2012

While this property has an "upscale look," in terms of decor, the first thing I noticed coming off the elevator was a pervasive mildew smell. Not overpowering, but definitely caused a nose wrinkle. The room was the same. Luckily it wasn't in the bedding, so I'm guessing they had the carpets cleaned, and they never dried properly ... Anyway, comfortable beds and roomy bathroom, decent towels. They have free coffee but also offer reasonably priced cafe-style breakfasts and Starbucks. You can print boarding passes. Postage stamp pool will not satisfy older kids. Standard workout room (cardio & weights) It was fine for a night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FunFamilyAdventurers
CourtyardStAugustine, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I apologize for the smell you experienced in the hall and in your room. I have notifed my housekeeping and maintenance staff to check their procedures on carpet cleaning to make sure everything is being extracted.

I hope you enjoyed your time in St. Augustine, and hope to see you again if you return to the area.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel invokes new concepts that give you more of a feeling of home but adds extras for the business traveler too. Check in is easy. There is a small cafe in front where you can have a meal or enjoy a nice glass of wine. There is a living room with TV, a reading area, outdoor areas - including firepits and a computer room complete with free desktop computers and wi-fi. The rooms are spacious and have coffee station and small refrigerator. High ceilings in the rooms make them feel even larger. Great place to stay - right off the interstate and close to good restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardStAugustine, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

I am very happy to see it felt like home for you during your visit! If there are any suggestions on how we may better serve you upon your return, please let us know! Thank you for choosing the our hotel as you place to rest during your travels!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

This Courtyard was conveniently located close to 95 and not far from St. Augustine old city. The staff was courteous and informative. The room was lovely and clean with lots of amenities. The bed was comfortable and the decor splendid. The breakfast ample.
I would highly recommend this Marriott to anyone visiting St. Augustine.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
CourtyardStAugustine, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine I-95, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave kind words regarding your stay! We are very pleased to see you enjoyed everything and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed for two nights during our recent Florida vacation. Well worth the short drive into St. Augustine's historic and tourist areas. Clean, fresh, updated contemporary style. Very responsive and accommodating staff. Good sized guest rooms and bathrooms, well appointed and decorated attractively. Comfortable beds. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for leaving a review about your stay! We're glad you enjoyed everything and please let us know if you have any suggestions!

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard while in St. Augustine for a wedding. The bride & groom had picked this hotel for their friends and family and we were given a great rate as part of the wedding party. Everything was spotlessly clean and we appreciated an early check in to get ready for the wedding. Staff was friendly and handled everything with ease.

Location is great for outlet mall shopping and not too far to drive to the downtown area. Loved having WIFI access in the room as well. Coffee was set out early the next morning, much to our delight.

The only bad part of the stay was that the pillows on the bed were feather and didn't give as much neck support as we're used to, but can ask for something different in the future.

Would recommend this property to anyone. Thanks!

Room Tip: For a quiet stay, ask to stay on level 2 or 3 to avoid rooms on lower floor near offices where it ge...
1  Thank Adro08

We're glad you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel! We hope you had a wonderfuld time at the wedding, and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the way down to Fort Lauderdale, and also on the way back north. The hotel is very clean - not one single bug - always a good sign in Florida. Check-in was fast. Room was spacious and quiet. Location is ideal if you're travelling along I 95, but not so good if you want to be downtown Saint Augustine. The town isn't far, however, so you can always drive there and see all the beautifiul sights. We didn't avail ourselves of the bistro downstairs but instead ordered from a local Italian restaurant located in the outlet mall. The pizza was awful, but the veal parmigiana was very good. I'll stay here again, but the next time I might just try the food in the Bistro.

Room Tip: I always ask for non-adjoining room on a high floor in a quiet location.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank your for choosing our hotel as your place to stay while you travel back and forth to Fort Lauderdale. We're glad to see you enjoyed everything! Next time you are in town we hope you'll join us for dinner in the Bistro with happy hour going from 5pm-7pm!

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Typical Marriott property, and I mean that in a good way - up-to-date furniture and amenities, clean and well-kept grounds and rooms, courteous and responsive staff. It's close to the outlet mall and the I-95 interchange; downtown St. Augustine is about 6 miles away. Free WiFi the weekend I was there (though the Marriott website indicates there might be a fee). Lots of dining and shopping options a short drive away.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for leaving a review about your stay! We are glad to see everything was enjoyed. We have Free WiFi, and wired high speed internet access throughout the entire building. Thank you for noting that it displayed there may be a fee on our site. I will gladly have that looked at so the appropriate changes can be made. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again!