All reviews room was clean lions bridge alligator farm bagels old town trolley close to downtown walk in shower short drive parking lot english muffin lighthouse augustine motel television attractions florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked this hotel the day of our stay. The price we were quoted by calling the hotel directly was exactly the same price found on Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. We got the last king room available at a really reasonable rate. The desk clerks were nice and helped us get a cab to the Amphitheater. The pool closes at 10pm, but nobody said a word when we went for a late night swim. The A/C was noisy but it drowned out any hallway/exterior noise, so it was fine. The furnishings were the only negative thing I have to say (old and outdated). Otherwise we had a nice stay at a reasonable price, especially since we booked last minute.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two days and it was an ok stay. The room had a slight odor, but after in the room for about 30 minutes we adjusted and didn't notice it hardly. The rooms are on the small side especially the bathroom. Not sure if there are bugs in the rooms or if something else was biting my family, but we left with a few bite marks from some sort of insect that seemed to be biting during the nite. I tried to check for bed bugs, but didn't see any so I'm not sure what it was. The staff was friendly and informative when I had a question and the pool is small, but big enough for the kids to play or have a soak. The breakfast was fair, but could improve a some. The waffle batter was real liquidy and you had to mix it more after you put it in the cup so you didn't have water floating on top. The beverages could also be filled up more frequently so when someone wants some juice or milk during the breakfast hours it would be available and not have to ask someone to refill everything. Overall flavor of the breakfast was fine, but the waffles did not want to come off the waffle iron and this could be fixed if they would provide a can of spray oil there and make the waffle experience better. The beds slept fine, but the AC never got real cold. We had it to the max our entire time and it barely was comfortable. I'm use to AC units being strong enought to be cold if you choose so. The shower stall was really small and toilet seat should probably be replaced as should the bathroom fixtures as they are old and out of date. If they invested about $100 or so dollars in the room it would have looked much better and felt better. The TV system is a little different too as it takes a little longer to turn on. It did have a flat screen style LCD type, but the remote did not turn the TV on (only off) and it has a governor on the volume so you can only go so high. Lighting is sufficient in the room, but places to place your suitcases are not. Be prepared to sit them on the floor or on the chairs. Towel quality is on the cheap side too. Parking was fine at the hotel, but be careful when leaving as it is on a corner and not real dangerous, but be cautious. It is about 5 to 10 minutes to the beach and there is car access on the beach for about $7.00 if you'd like to access the beach and not have to walk a few blocks if you parked off A1A in the public parking areas. There are plenty of places to eat within 5 to 15 minutes of the hotel and all the places we ate were good. This is the first time I've stayed at a Sleep Inn and it was fine overall, and average rate here is about $73 to $79 per night during the time I was here and based on what I heard others say while I was there. I'd give Sleep Inn another shot, but do recommend they work on the minor things mentioned. Hope this review helped!

Room Tip: Rooms 102, 104, 106 and probably 108 's window is right by the pool if you want a direct view or want to avoid a direct view of the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank wofiii
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Arriving in St. Augustine without a hotel reservation allowed us to stumble on Sleep Inn. After stopping at numerous other hotels in the area which did not meet our expectations, the Sleep Inn offered a comfortable, affordable evening. A short drive to St. Augustine historic district gave us the chance to run into St. Augustine that evening and look around. Leaving the next day to check into a local condo we found the Sleep Inn comparable to the condo in price and location. The size of the room (2 queens) was a little tight, but we found the evening and morning breakfast comfortable and adequate for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent one evening there during our Florida odyssey. The downstairs room was away from the elevator at the end of the hallway. One thoughtful observation, the exit door at the end of the hall was adjusted to close silently and not be slammed shut. The room itself was musty when the air conditioner was turned off. The layout of the room was functional, but needs updates. The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner was efficient. The parking lot is small (since the hotel only hast two floors). Since the hotel is on a curve in the road, it can be somewhat dangerous trying to leave the parking lot. Otherwise, the hotel felt safe in that part of town (across the bridge from the Old Town area). From the hotel, it is an easy walk to the Old Town or the lighthouse (or Alligator Farm).

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the hall are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GS-Everett
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed there not too long ago and it was atrocious. The room smelled dank and musty. The desk clerk was very indifferent and not very friendly. The worst part was the first night when we were about to go to sleep. The mattress was so hard, I honestly thought I was sleeping on a slab of concrete! I literally lifted up the sheets to see if there was concrete under there. After a sleepless night, we got up the next morning for breakfast, but the senior citizens had descended on the place like vultures at 7 AM and most of the food was gone. What was left, was stale and hard bagels , a few muffins, and flies were buzzing around and landing on the food. The next night, I refused to sleep in the bed and spend the night trying to sleep in the chair (more comfortable, BTW).
This hotel is located on the island, and while it looks relatively safe during the day, the area is run-down and seedy. At night, it feels very unsafe and is poorly lit.
Do not, do not, DO NOT stay here. Definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple