“Great Place to stay”

Ranked #30 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Louisiana
“Great Place to stay”
Reviewed September 17, 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights while touring St. Augustine, and found Bruce to be an exceptional host. The room , bed, and bath were clean and comfortable. If you wish a bath connected to your room, be sure to state that when reserving it, since there is at least room that requires the guest to go out into the hall to reach their private bath.

The breakfast cooked by Bruce was delicious, pancakes and sausage, with coffee. The only drawback is that it is not served until 8:30, which is rather late for those wishing to get an early start on touring.

The location of Castle Garden B&B is perfect for those who want to take the trolley, which is located just a few doors away--I highly recommend this mode of sightseeing. Many of the attractions have very limited parking, and one can get off and re-board the trolley at their many stops around town. We often took advantage of this, and found it interesting that each tour guide had a different story about the attractions.

The limited parking also applies to the Castle Garden B&B--there are two parking spots in front of the building, and VERY tight parking spots behind it, appropriate for compact vehicles only. Plan to arrive early to be able to park out front if you have a large vehicle.

I would stay at Castle Garden B&B again if I am fortunate enough to return to St. Augustine.

• Liked — Antiques throughout the B&B
  • Disliked — 8:30 breakfast time
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Castle Garden over the weekend for our anniversary. I am actually very surprised by a lot of the negative reviews on this site. I am not sure if there have been big changes made since those people stayed there, but we found everything clean and comfortable. I don't know why people expect 5 star service and quality from a place where you pay 2 star rates!

We enjoyed our stay completely! The house felt like exactly what it was...a treasured antique. The bed was comfortable, the water was hot, the breakfast was great, the innkeeper was friendly and informative.

I would recommend the Castle to anyone looking for a place to sleep that is comfortable and close to everything convenient!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank windym2006
Orlando, FL
Reviewed April 11, 2008

Bruce was a warm and gracious host. The home dates back to the 1800s and is full of character. We had such a good night's sleep and personalized service (there are only four rooms in the house). Our room was cozy and had its own bathroom.

Breakfast was to die for; we ate the best pancakes we've ever had! Bruce cooks everything himself. It was so quaint and he set the table so nicely.

Another good thing was the location. We were across from Ripley's, 1 block from the fort, two blocks from the historic area. It's a nice walk, even at night.

A little advice: this was a traditional B&B, meaning Bruce opens up his home for travelers. He lives there, and runs it himself. If you are high-maintenanced, please save yourself (and Bruce) the headache, and stay at the Hilton. Our experience can be best described through his words, "Like staying at grandma's, only you don't have to make the bed!"

• Liked — The neat, old house
  • Disliked — The mattress was a little firm.
Stayed April 2008
Palm Beach
Reviewed April 9, 2008

I read all the reviews before I called and booked it, because some of the reviews sounded as if they were spoiled brats who did not get there way. Please. Give me a break. I looked on the web site and called. Bruce was wonderful. When we arrived, I walked in and felt like I was at home. I loved my room, The food was excellent. He was very personable. You could not ask for more attentive person. My bed was very comfortable. Yes, There was some clutter in the kitchen but the rest of the house was extremely clean. I came in to find him cleaning a room that I thought looked spotless. He cares about the B&B. He has been here 18 years and I think he is doing an excellent job. Shame on anyone who gives a negative feedback without having a real reason to. I will come back over and over again. I love it and would recommend Castle Garden to anyone.

• Liked — It was close to everything. You didn't have to walk far but it was peaceful.
  • Disliked — i love my stay. I don't have anything negative to say
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Stayed at the Castle Garden for my boyfriend's birthday. I booked it because of the reasonable rates during the weekend (all the prices on their website are weekend rates, fyi). When we arrived, we were welcomed into the house and offered an upgrade (which we accepted at a charge) to the Carriage Room. The room is beautiful, with a great jacuzzi bath. One down side is the sink area is very tight with a low ceiling , but I imagine this is due to the HUGE jacuzzi bath. The room was clean and with an antique decor, I felt like I was right in the middle of the historic district. It also had a private entrance, which for those who stay out late for nightlife is essential.

In addition to the room, Bruce and his brother were very nice hosts. Each time I called with a question or to confirm they were very pleasant. Upon our arrival Bruce made us feel right at home and at breakfast made sure that we were very comfortable (plus his brother made a great egg souffle). I would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
Reviewed March 16, 2008

If quiet and quaint is what you're looking for, this is your place. Not recommended for the couple looking to get away for a romantic weekend. While they do offer "a bed", breakfast is very disappointing. Almost longed for the continental breakfast offered at most budget minded motel chains. Beware that some rooms state "private bathroom", but it's NOT in your room. And so much for the idea of a castle's garden. As a former carriage house/garage, a patch of overgrown unkept ferns and weeds do not make a garden. Furthermore, the collection of refuse and tossed out yard furniture do not invite guests to attempt to get through the unpruned bushes to enjoy this side yard. The owner/host Bruce did retell his story of woe of how he came into the ownership/operation of this B&B, as we tried to politely make our exit to the nearest fast-food establishment offering a more tasteful breakfast. Your money will be better spent staying somewhere else!

• Disliked — The host
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank 123abe

Travelers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Slinger, WI
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We liked the Castle Garden B&B. Bruce was a wonderful host. The accomodations were clean and well kept. The linens were changed everyday. He asked prior to going to clean the room - which we did not have a problem with even if he would've gone in to clean w/o permission. The breakfasts were filling and tasty. Our host was helpful and very knowlegeable of his property and the history of the area.

The Castle Garden is an old carriage house behind a next door mansion, which is now the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. The entrance road is just past the museum on the north of the building. It is old-fashioned with wooden flooring, wallpaper, and classical furniture. The property was well-maintained. Another plus was that we were close to the old town area and did not have to walk a long way - in fact we were about 1 block away from the Castillo de San Marco, and just a little further from the old town. The locale also sports a number of restaurants, a motor-scooter rental place, and the hub for the local tourist trolley which also has a night-time haunted trolley tour of the area.

We enjoyed our stay. This is a small, but comfortable establishment that would be ideal for couples young or old that would like to be close to everything, but in a nice quiet corner just off the old town.

A few suggestions for eats and drinks: try the Tini Martini Bar, Sangrias and the Rockin' Bean Coffee House, all of which are in the old town area.

• Liked — Meals, accomodations, helpful host.
  • Disliked — Access road.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple