“A perfect first time B&B experience!”
Review of Inn On Charlotte

Inn On Charlotte
Ranked #4 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2008

I spent at least a few weeks trying to pick out the perfect B&B for our trip to St. Augustine. My husband and I had never stayed in one before and we heard that if we stayed in St. Augustine we simply had to stay in a B&B. I decided finally on the Inn on Charlotte and chose to stay in the Maria Andreu's Haven room (located on the 2nd floor). I chose this room because the room had access to a porch in the front overlooking the street below (the porch is shared with one other room, but we hardly ever saw those guests). When we arrived, the historical home was beautiful! The foliage was superb and the cobblestone narrow street the home was facing was very nice. There was a driveway located beside the Inn where we could park our car for 5 minutes and unload the car (the staff helped us). The actual parking was located behind the Inn. However, there is a restaurant directly behind the restaurant, so the parking is on the other side of the restaurant. It was a very short walk. Each guest has their own assigned parking spot too. The home was located a few blocks away from a busy street and St. George Street (the walking pedestrian mall), so the only real noise we heard was from people walking by. There is a small cafe located across the street where one man with a guitar plays every night, but he always stopped playing at 10pm. That was perfect for us because we were just getting back from walking around. The evening snacks and drinks were nice too. We were able to mingle with some of the other guests and find out a little about them. Breakfast was exquisite. It was so nice to be served breakfast on fine china. Each morning, after everyone was seated, a mixture of assorted fruits and yogurt were brought out. The orange juice was freshly squeezed. Mimosas were also served upon request. Breakfast on both days we were there was different. It was all so perfect. We are going to start a tradition and go back to the Inn every year. We can't wait!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank crulaur

Reviewed January 4, 2008

Excellent location, nice room, helpful staff, incredible breakfast, late afternoon snacks and wine. What more can you ask for!

• Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed December 22, 2007

Very nice example of Saint Augustine B&B. Well located, and Lynne, the owner, and staff are great. Breakfasts are really incredible. Very accommodating and friendly.

Just avoid "The Tower" room #8 -- bed is the worst we have ever experienced. The box springs are totally shot and every time one of us turned over it woke the other with a horrid squeaky, grinding sound - plus it's like sleeping in a bowl because my wife and I ended up on top of each other repeatedly because of the bad box springs.

Also in the Tower Room, there is no place to hang your clothes for some reason. All it takes is a simple hook or hanger on, for example, the back of the bathroom door, but no --no hangers for you!

Other guests we talked to didn't seem to have the same problems, so I highly recommend a diffrerent room.

Last time we went to Saint Augustine we stayed at The Casablanca, and it was okay I guess, but next time we'll probably go with the Hilton. If nothing else, they serve coffee really early, and, as an early riser, that's something I like. A lot.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2007

You really can’t fault the location of this B&B, right in the heart of Old Town, within a very short stroll of many attractions, restaurants and bars.

All rooms are individually themed and we stayed in the King’s Tower which was a lovely room in a separate building to the rear of the main house. One of the reasons we chose this room was the fact that it had a private balcony/outdoor area which proved a lovely secluded place to have a spot of time to ourselves before going out in the evening. A point to note though is that it’s right next to the air conditioning unit of the property next door, so may be a little noisy for some. We still think the extra space and privacy is nice, so would probably choose that room again if we went back rather than the rooms in the main house.

The lady at check in was lovely and very chatty and helpful, providing us with a map of the area and some excellent restaurant recommendations. The owner, Lynne, was very helpful in our back and forth emails.

The room itself was clean and tidy, though the bed did remind me of the fairy tale about the princess and the pea! (look it up!) There was no pea as the bed was extremely comfortable, but there were several mattresses, which made the bed very high, hence the reference…

The bathroom in this particular room is split into two. The sink and toilet are in a separate room and there is very luxurious toilet paper, almost like cloth – I would be quite interested in getting something similar at home (yes, I know that sounds strange!!!). The shower part has a screen door which opens directly into the bedroom and the bathmat is actually in the bedroom - which is fine for us, but may be something to note.

One thing to look out for at this B&B is the special offers on their website – they are excellent. We got a complimentary ‘Sail Away to Romance’ cruise on the Schooner Freedom sailing ship together with a free chilled bottle of champagne (you don’t have to have them on the same night of your stay).

We are in two minds about the breakfasts – we only went down to the dining room for one as we had a lie in on our second day and were leaving early the next. The communal table is not really ‘us’ though I realise it may suit many people (the other guests were very nice, but we would have preferred to be in and out quickly so we could explore the area). The main issue is that you aren’t at all sure when breakfast is finished as the servers are so unobtrusive. You seem to get melon in some shape or form to start (that was on the table on our last day when we handed in the room keys too), then something else. Unfortunately, the day we took breakfast, the ‘something else’ was sweet pancakes which we both dislike and then no one appeared again – ever. There was butter on the table and we were hoping for some toast.

There is free parking at the back of the property.

St Augustine is beautiful. We’ve visited before on a day trip, but it’s the first time we’ve stayed and it was definitely worth it, there is so much to see and it’s very eclectic compared to many places in Florida.

I think it’s unfortunate that this B&B isn’t higher in the rankings here on TA - we would definitely consider staying again. I suspect the reason for it being lower down the list is more due to the fact that you can only book directly through the owner’s website rather than through other sites via the ‘check rates’ button. We too may have missed it out that way if other places had been available which would have been a shame.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Que
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Our stay in January was the 4th time we have stayed at the Inn, Lynne the new owner has moved the Inn onto a higher level, she was warm and inviting, the wine and nibbles at 6pm are a great way to meet the other guests.
We had a great breakfast around a large table, the quiche we had on the first morning was the best ever (what was in it?)
We stayed in the Sothern Hospitality suite on the ground floor, we had some of the most restful sleep on our vaction on that wonderful bed.
St Augustine is on your doorstep, just step outside onto one of the oldest streets in the USA,

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2006

This was my fist B&B stay, so forgive me if i am too generous. I have no other to compare it to but hotel experiences. I loved this B&B! Maybe it was the great guests who were there that weekend or the fact that the innkeepeer had just bought the place and might have been in perfect form (still excited) as a hostess.

Whatever it was, my boyfriend and I could not have felt more at home. We are an interracial couple and no one made us feel uncomfortable at all.

The breakfasts were a delight. Small talk at the table always turned into laughter and travel anecdotes. The servings were generous. I was worried they would be something lame like a piece of toast, marmalade, and cheap coffee. But I'm glad to say that wasn't so.

The best part of the city, for me, was this B&B.

• Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank Spritedog
Reviewed February 2, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Inn on Charlotte Street for Valentine's Day last year. The Inn is a sister to the Casablanca Inn, which is where you check in, eat breakfast, and talk to the concierge. The Inn on Charlotte Street doesn't have a front desk of it's own, but is literally acroos the ally from Casablanca Inn, so basically is just an extension. Our room was a good size, with a great bathroom with jacuzzi tub. Close to everything you would want to see in St. Augustine...we never used the car once. Highly recommend.

5  Thank mksonnenberg