“Don't believe what some others say, this is the place to stay !”
Review of Penny Farthing Inn

Penny Farthing Inn
Ranked #11 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2006

I stayed at the Penny Farthing with my girlfriend last month and it was easily the best experience I have ever had in a B&B. Patty was very accomodating and friendly and it was an excellent experience to enjoy before I head off to Iraq for four months. We stayed in her best room, Penny's Attic, the day after she had finished rennovating it. The decor alone is worth the trip and it is only made better by the remarkable bed and heavenly two person whirlpool tub. We both fell in love with the room which I promise you is the nicest you can get in St. Augustine for the money, believe me, I looked. With Penny's Attic you get two rooms, not just one and the kind of style to suit you, it suited us. Patty's breakfast was excellent and so was her attitude. Overall it was an extremely enjoyable experience, with great views and great service and I will return and would reccomend it to anyone !.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank Ponyperformance

Tampa Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2006

we had a lovely and relaxed weekend in the quaint and charming Penny Farthing Inn. Our Innkepeer Patty was most gracious and provided many special touches that made this a weekend particularly memorable for us. The breakfast was great and so was the dessert that Patty provided for us after a long day of sightseeing. Meet the friendly ghosts of St. Augustine on one of the many "Ghost Walks" and return to sip sherry on the veranda.viv

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed April 27, 2006

I called the Penny Farthing Bed & Breakfast in St. Augustine, FL and booked their most expensive room for Mother's Day weekend as a surprise for my mother. After I had already booked the room, I received an email from Patty, the person who runs the Penny Farthing B&B, telling me that she cancelled my reservation because she didn't feel the room was the right one for me and I should try to find another B&B in St. Augustine. So now, 2 weeks before Mother's Day, we are left without a B&B. I would never recommend this B&B to anyone after being treated this way.

5  Thank Executive-in-FL
Management response:Responded May 8, 2006

This lady's reservation was cancelled 3 days after she made it, not at the last minute as she makes it sound. She had contacted me 11 times by phone and email in those 3 days with all kinds of concerns and special requests because SHE didn't feel the room was right for the "perfect" Mother's Day. I had given her a large discount and agreed to let her stay 1 night on a 2-night minimum weekend, but she still wasn't happy. After the 9th email, I agreed to let her out of her reservation with no cancellation fees because she was still so worried that the room was wrong for her plans. When her 11th request would have required me to purchase additional furniture for her 1 night stay, I cancelled the reservation and politely advised her that there were still 85 bed & breakfast rooms available for Mother's Day weekend in St. Augustine, so she should have had no problem in finding alternate accomodations that better suited her needs. She wasn't upset until she realized that I was the only Inn who would allow her to stay one night only on Mother's Day weekend. I'm sorry she is upset, but I feel I did all I could to make her happy and it was never enough. You have to wonder if there are that many problems before a guest arrives, what is it going to be like once they are here. I had other guests to consider and a historic inns tour on that weekend to deal with, so I did what I felt was best for all concerned. If you read our other reviews, written by people who have actually stayed here, you will get an entirely different view of how I treat my guests. I hope you will not let this "non-guest" review sway you.

Orlando
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at what we thought was the most wonderful and hospitable Inn in St. Augustine. We were more then pleased with the outstanding service and gorgeous accommodations. My girlfriend surprised me with a romantic get-a-way for Valentine's Day/Birthday. I couldn't have been more pleased with our room and the feel of this Bed and Breakfast. It was a get-a-way that got us out of our routine city life and helped us to escape the normal of TV living. I love the fact that the focus of the Inn was on the room and time period it was built. We couldn't thank our host enough, who went above and beyond in our stay to make our weekend unforgettable. Her hospitality and the overall feel of this Beautiful Bed and Breakfast helped to confirm a return visit from us in the near future. We have and will continue to recommend this Bed and Breakfast to all of our friend and family!!

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Altamonte Springs, FL
Reviewed March 15, 2006

My husband and I felt welcome the second we met the innkeeper. She showed us around the adorable Inn and made us feel perfectly "at home." We stayed in the Attic which had a lovely claw-foot tub and a sweet little sitting room. It was nice being at a B&B with antiques and period-appropriate items around. The tv/vcr was outdated, but we weren't there to watch tv anyway! (I understand they are in the midst of replacing them.) Breakfast was delicious, and I enjoyed having homemade specialty items instead of cafeteria-style pick and choose fare. There was complementary beer, wine, and soda, and champagne for mimosas on the weekend. I've been to Inns with no-name sodas and nothing else. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2006