“Very quaint B & B and excellent staff”
Review of Penny Farthing Inn

Penny Farthing Inn
Ranked #12 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited St. Augustine a couple weekends ago and had a wonderful experience. The Inn was beautiful and breakfast was amazing. We had eggs benedict and stuffed french toast. The staff here treats you like family and you can't beat the perks - we had sherry in our room and a choice of wine with cake in the afternoons. The location is also great - close to everything but on a quiet street. The only downside, and this is just me being overly critical, was that the A/C was too cold in our upstairs room. We had plenty of blankets to keep us warm though! We will be returning.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

In fact, I liked this place but there were some problems which I just could not ignore. Charming building with a nice deck on the first level. I stayed in the Tree House which was on the second level. Had a small but nice private porch and great cross-ventilation. Unfortunately the WiFi signal did not reach to the second floor and I had to go down to the deck to use the internet (not really a big deal). The place was generally clean but I did find hairs from the previous tenant in the bathtub (a big turn-off). Breakfast was ok the first morning ham and cheese croissant sandwich with fresh fruit. Second morning was a large German-style sausage which was fine served with a Raisin Bread French Toast with bananas sandwiched between 2 pieces of toast. The result was a mushy conglomeration of tastes. Third morning I did not go for breakfast. Biggest problem occurred after I left. I was pretty sure I left a camera battery charger plugged in, in the unit. I called a couple of days later, got voice mail and left a message to that effect. I never received a return call. So, while I actually liked the room, I would not recommend the place without reservations.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank gstrange8
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our stay at the Penny Farthing Inn was fantastic! Marie and her family were warm, friendly and beyond hospitable! We felt S if we were staying with family! They are super accommodating and helpful in all aspects. Not to mention the convenience in the location to shops, dining and entertainment! We will definitely be booking a room upon our next visit to St. Augustine. Thank you for the commendable service!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 21, 2014

What a charming inn with gracious and charming hosts with the perfect personalities for running a b&b! We booked in on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 and stayed 2 nights. I wish we had had more time here, but we had to be in Miami for an event. The weather turned rather chilly, and we had not packed for that, but we found tourist-y type sweatshirts within walking distance on St. George as per the owner’s advice, and they served the purpose well.

Breakfast was delicious both mornings. The room was clean and just right for us. There are movies in the main house that you can borrow to watch if you like. Wifi didn’t work in our room, but we were able to step outside our door onto a lovely, comfortable deck and access what we needed there. We didn’t socialize with the other guests as we are the get-out-and-about types, but there was opportunity to do so and the other guests who were there at the same time seemed genuinely nice. The inn is within walking distance of many places to eat, sights to see, and shops to browse, plus it is only a short drive to the beach.

Penny Farthing is now on our list to revisit. Looking at the guest book in our room, many others have felt the same way, and many have already made repeat visits. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at this wonderful B & B from April 17-19, 2014 and had a wonderful time. The inn keepers are extremely friendly and gracious. The food is superb. There are lovely snacks and drinks in the early evening. Breakfast this morning was a very nice apple bread pudding with rum sauce and sausage and fruit. The location is perfect for exploring the old town and the new Ice Plant distillery and restaurant. You cannot go wrong staying here. Enjoy!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My girlfriend and I had a romantic getaway at The Penny Farthing Inn and it was a delight from arrival to check out. Owner Marie is a gem. From her warm, friendly attitude to the Victorian accommodations, she made us feel like we were her only guests. The rooms are charming and beautiful, straight out of Victorian times. We were in a quiet neighborhood, but centrally located enough to where we could easily walk to most any attraction we liked, whether it be shopping, restaurants, seeing the fort, museum, or just enjoying the architecture of America's oldest city. Breakfasts were delicious, and afternoon wine and snacks were an added treat. If you're planning a nice little getaway to St. Augustine, I highly recommend staying at The Penny Farthing Inn. I know we will be going back!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We loved our room in the treehouse. We made great friends with the other patrons during the happy hour. The staff was very nice and friendly. The food was really good, but I wish we had a choice with the meal. We would recommend anyone who is looking for an adult getaway in a sweet quaint location. Just a short walking distance behind the Lightner Museum with lots of parking. We loved that we parked our car and could just walk all weekend!

Room Tip: We had the treehouse room. It was great for privacy. The bathroom set up is a little weird, but ve...