“Victorian Inn”
Review of Penny Farthing Inn

Penny Farthing Inn
Ranked #11 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The owners of this Inn permitted us to arrive early as we were only coming from Daytona Beach and it is just an hour's drive. The location to old town is perfect for walking to the sites and restaurants and there is plenty of parking. Our room was tastefully decorated with two chairs, a queen bed with wonderful microfiber sheets and a small flat screen TV with DVR and the office had movies to borrow. A pleasant surprise was the crystal of sherry that waited for us on our dresser! The Inn has a parlor and breakfast room which serves a complimentary breakfast each morning. Every evening they serve wine, coffee and treats from 4pm till gone and there is inside or outside seating.

The owners and staff are very friendly and eager to please. The only negative is that it was a bit dusty but a Victorian home with its age would be difficult to maintain perfectly.

Room Tip: There are three downstairs rooms, the others must be reached by stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was our first time staying at the Penny Farthing - we went to St. Augustine for a romantic weekend getaway and this was the perfect place. My fiance is from England and loved all the touches from his homeland. The location is perfect - walking distance to just about everything but not too close to a main road so not noisy. The rooms are super cute and the owners are just amazing - we felt more like family than guests. We definitely plan on staying again - my fiance thought it was so perfect he proposed our first night there!

Room Tip: The rooms are themed so read the descriptions!
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is our 2nd time staying at the Penny Farthing Inn. It was like coming home seeing a dear friend. Marie, is super friendly and nice and makes her guests feel very comfortable and welcome. This was our first time socializing with other guests at the hour wine social on the deck. We had a great group of people from all over the U.S. some as far as Wyoming and NC. I have been too some other inns in the area and the inn-keeper doesn't mingle with the guests like Marie does. She makes staying in her home feel, so warm and inviting and while we were there she also had other repeat guests as well. We love St. Augustine it's one of our favorite places in all of Florida and after staying at a few other inns. We have decided to make this our home away from home. Thank you, Marie and Dave for making us feel welcome. Jon and Rachel Sarasota FL

Room Tip: Penny's Attic, if able to climb to 3rd floor. Awesome views, Catherine Bed Chamber has a nice...
1  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Outside it was unusually cold and dreary, but inside was all warmth and welcome. Wine on arrival and always available, as was tea. The room was charming, made even more so by the complimentary carafe of sherry.

In summary, we were treated like personally invited guests. When we arrived I was asked about food preferences. When I told the hostess I didn't eat bread, she responded with a plan to make me scrambled eggs for breakfast which I enjoyed with Italian sausage while I watched my son relish delicious banana french toast and sausage. The next day it was eggs Benedict without the bread. And all this in the charming breakfast room.

A brief respite in the parlor offered the opportunity to enjoy a glass of wine and a chat with other guests who happened also to be from Minnesota.

To add to the value is the location of the inn -- within walking distance of everything except the Black Fly restaurant which I'll review in the restaurant section. (It was worth the brief drive.)

Room Tip: I don't know that one place is more desirable than the other, but it is of interest to know some...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The location is outstanding, the breakfast is elegant and scrumptious and the accommodations are very charming. We have stayed in several other B&Bs in Saint Augustine and this by far is our favorite.
We will certainly be back and look forward to seeing the divine innkeepers and their friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

1. Location, location, location. This B&B is located in the heart of the city. It's close to all the major attractions. That alone is worth a high rating. Finding parking in the city can be a drag, so to be able to easily walk the main streets, downtown area, etc. was great. Google the Inn location.

2. The owners are very nice folks from England. We were checked in by the owner's son. Nice guy. In fact, they are all really nice and that's something I look for in a B&B... nice people. When you stay at a motel, you don't care as much. When you stay at a B&B, you want nice hosts.

3. Our room was Penny's Attic. The room was most unique. Views of the city. A private deck. A neat layout. Not the cheapest room available at the Inn, but it was enjoyable. Getting the luggage up and down the stairs was the only issue. And it wasn't even an issue for me, but it could be for others. Though the owner's son offered to help. So if you need help getting luggage up three flights, I'm sure you can get it.

The room has a small fridge and microwave. The Jacuzzi was fun.

I did not care for the bathroom sink. It's cute and ornate, but not very functional. My only suggestion would be that more functional faucets be installed.

4. Breakfast was tasty. Betty the housekeeper was very sweet.

5. They have a good website with panoramic views of the rooms. I like that feature.

6. PLENTY of Inn parking. Again, parking can be hard to find in St. Augustine. The owners were nice enough to let us leave our car there for the day that we checked out. That was appreciated.

Room Tip: My only tip is to be aware of the stairs and choose the room appropriate for your mobility. Common s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 541PaulL541
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Marie and family, Betty (cook/house cleaner) included, provide a wonderful, happy, clean, atmosphere within a beautiful setting that is Penny Farthing Inn, St Augustine, FL!
Not far at all from the main town and yet secluded enough for a good night's sleep!
The rooms are beautiful within a stunning building (house).
We (my wife and I) spent over a week there whilst visiting my mum, dad, sister and family friends during Thanksgiving/early December; highly recommend the Penny Farthing Inn and would DEFINITELY go back and stay myself/ourselves!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family