“Near Flagler College”

Ranked #8 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Near Flagler College”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Penny Farthing Inn to visit our daughter who is at Flagler College. We were lucky to get the room "Penny's Attic". Wow, nice room and nice view from the deck. Everyone was very nice and we liked the afternoon English tea. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Penny Farthing is very pretty, and in a great location -- right near Flagler College and the Lightner Museum. We could comfortably walk to every attraction we wanted to see. It's an affordable choice in the historic area. Cedar Street is on the edge of another appealing district, Lincolnville, which has an attractive lake. I enjoyed jogging around the lake and seeing a whole other collection of beautiful homes and gardens along the way. It would be a lovely and peaceful walking route, too, away from the busy tourist areas. (The lake is at the end of Cordova Street; from Penny Farthing, turn right on Granada, left on Bridge, then right on Cordova.)

Many of the B&Bs in St. Augustine have an inviting front porch, overlooking an interesting street scene, and we often saw guests chatting on the porches. On quiet Cedar Street, the B&Bs are all across from a parking lot, so the front porch option isn't very appealing there. Our first-floor room had access to the outdoor terrace, with a series of tables and a pleasantly burbling fountain. It does face the alley and parked cars, though, so the view wasn't a plus.

We appreciated the sherry in our room, and the wine provided for guests from late afternoon on. Tea and sometimes treats like scones were available, too, so we sometimes felt the British influence. Betty and David were both very helpful.

Just as the web site advised, the York Room is very small. The bedroom doesn't have a window or a closet. There are some clothing hooks in the bathroom, which is pretty good-sized and has two windows, but no night light. If it's ever coat weather in St. Augustine, I'm not sure where anyone could hang a heavy bulky garment. Perhaps the York room would work well for one person; it was tight for two.

Marie is friendly and gregarious. At check-in, she asked about our food preferences. I replied that I drink decaf and don't eat meat. She graciously served me "turkey bacon" the next morning, and offered instant decaf. The other two breakfasts brought ham and sausage, both of which I skipped. I thought the unavailability of decaf might be a regional preference since I'd never visited Northern Florida before. But I stayed at three other hotels during my week-long trip, and each had an urn of decaf next to the regular coffee. If the Penny Farthing website had noted that brewed decaf was not served, I would have packed a metal filter and purchased some ground decaf to brew.

My husband and I like B&Bs because you generally have an opportunity to meet people from all sorts of places. At Penny Farthing, the outdoor tables are for two people, and arranged at odd angles, so that conversation is awkward and physically uncomfortable. The weather was lovely, so we never ate in the dining room, and it was difficult to talk with other guests, which was disappointing.

Room Tip: We chose the York for affordability, but the second floor rooms are much larger and have their own o...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay at a B&B, but it won't be my last. Marie, the owner, & Betty, staff wonder-woman, were both very warm & welcoming. Our room, The Tree House, was wonderfully welcoming with its private balcony & rocking chairs.

• Stayed November 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Great place to stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms and lobby were nice and the included breakfast was wonderful. Location a couple of blocks from the trolley stop is very convenient.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Victoria Room. My comments relate to that. I didn't see the others.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went to the Penny Farthing for our 37th wedding anniversary in October and had a wonderful time. Everything about the Inn is perfect. Marie's hospitality and food and friendliness cannot be beat. Our room, the Cherry Rose, was charming and had a private porch. The location of the Inn cannot be beat because you are just slightly off the main roads. We recommend going to the Sebastian winery in the evening for music and drinks. The winery is within walking distance. We were close to all our favorite places such as Harry's and The Floridian Café.
Marie, Dave, and her wonderful staff make you feel right at home. I recommend this Inn for any kind of relaxing get away and need to feel pampered.

1 Thank Squekey
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We were so pleased with our 4 night visit there recently. Marie, David and Betty are class acts. They made us right at home. The food is very good, the accomodations are handsome and comfortable. We stayed in the Dawn room on the second floor and had a great rear porch with a swing, rocker and chairs. We spent a lot of time there as the weather was perfect. The location is ideal, close enough for walking to everything, but without the noise of the city. I hope we can go back again.

Room Tip: The Dawn room with the rear porch and swing was wonderful! The breeze from the ocean is great since...
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at the Penny Farthing Inn for two nights in October. From the very start we were made to feel very welcome. Marie is a wonderful host and makes delicious macaroons!! Our room (the Dawn) was very comfortable with our own private entrance. I loved sitting on the porch swing in the evenings. Betty was there in the mornings to help Marie cook and serve our delicious breakfasts. The Inn is a short walk from George Street where most of the shops, bars and restaurants are and the trolley tour bus stops a few minutes walk away.
St augustine is a lovely place to visit with many historical places to visit.
I would recommend a stay in this inn to other travellers.