“WOW!! Awesome location!!”

Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“WOW!! Awesome location!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We loved our time at Beacher's Lodge!! The location was right on the beach! We loved spending time on the beach and listening to the waves! We were also close to several restaurants/bars that served delicious food and drinks! We were close enough to St. Augustine that we got to visit there every day! We can highly recommend Beacher's!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank jeannie226

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is always our first choice when we stay on Florida's "First Coast." This is a condo hotel where each unit is individually owned. Decoration and amenities vary from unit to unit but all are clean and nicely maintained. Avoid the first floor if you want a view of the ocean. This is probably not the place for the first time St. Augustine visitor, it's 12 miles from town, but if you're a returning visitor and don't feel the need to be so close to the St. Augustine historic attractions, Beacher's is a great place to start discovering the rest of what this area has to offer.

Room Tip: Best views are on floors 3 & 4. Expect an extra charge for a pet friendly room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our second stay and Beacher's and we will go again. The units have a separate bedroom and a well-equipped kitchen unit including a dishwasher and fridge with ice-maker. Flat screen TVs in the bedroom and living room area and a DVD player. A balcony looks out over the ocean. We love it here. We bought three days/two nights on Florida Vacation Auction.com for a very reasonable price. We are already bidding on our next stay. The King size bed was sooooooooo comfy, lots of pillows and blankets. Free Internet. Beach access. Easy check-in and out. Close to lots of things to do and good restaurants. LOVE THIS PLACE!

Room Tip: Go to FloridaVacationAuction.com and bid on your stay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chartrumb
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay in a gold level unit during holiday season. It has an amazing website so you can pick the unit you want, and ours was just as pictured, that is once we found the main bedroom which was hiding behind the front door. It is a long condo and the entrance is in the middle, which when open covers the bedroom entrance. It may be small, but was definitely comfortable for my family of four, two adults and kids 9 and 10. The thing you cannot beat is the views and the beach access. For it's size, though it packs a lot of comfort, a kitchenette, stocked with dishes, silverware, pots, coffee maker with coffee and the fixings for a good cup, a microwave, two burner stove top, a full size refrigerator, and soap and sponge to clean up -- I have stayed in nicer condos where that is optional it seems. We didn't cook, so I can't comment on how easy or hard it would be. The condo is like a hotel, as they provide toiletries, linens, and housekeeping. The staff is friendly, and so are the folks in the gas station across the street, where we were able to do a late pick up of milk and cereal for the next morning. The cons: The wi fi was lagging and the pool was not warm enough to be in it too long. It didn't stop my kids from jumping in though. And my husband had to pull them out when they started to turn blue. Lastly, I understand it is very hard to keep the floors clean, since it is a beach, but a vacuum a day is a must. We interrupted the very nice housekeeper the first day we were there, so I am not sure if they vacuum daily. But there were some dirty left overs from before our stay, that made it clear it was not vacuumed and mopped before us. They did have a handy broom and dust pan, as the fine sand will sneak inside. I swept up our sand and other remnants of the past, and it was good again. Overall, it was a short but sweet stay. We would definitely return, but in warmer weather next time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our second time at the Beacher's Lodge. We stayed in a different condo because the bed in the first one really hurt my back (320). The bed in this condo (322) was an all foam (tempurpedic type) top matteress. It was better but still bother my back somewhat (I do have lower back issues and degenerative disc problems). I was able to sleep better for the most part.

This condo has some good and bad qualities. The good: great kitchen, updated appliances, nice dining table, and the bathroom (even though extremely small) very updated with lovely tiles throughout. The oceanfront view was very nice and the balcony was a decent size. The outdoor furniture could be cleaned better but it was comfortable enough. There were two large screen HD TV's with nice cable/satellite selections. The houskeeping was terrific as well as the front office. Very nice and helpful. No complaints. The kitchen was fully equiped with many items. If there is a favorite pan or knife or whatever you like to use - bring it just in case. I cook often so I brought a few of my favorite kitchen utensils that I prefered to use. There were plenty of dishes, cups and silverware.

From the road, the beachers lodge looks very lovely - very manicured and well kept. Nice landscaping and ample parking. There are two elevators - one on each end of the complex. A nice size pool with nearby bathrooms and a private walkway to the beach. There are also different levels of condos to select from. Premium to standard rooms. This was a premium room because it had upgraded appliances, etc. However, the condos are all older so don't expect really fancy rooms or large rooms.

Some of the not so great qualities: The living area furniture was very old, uncomfortable and outdated. Sat low to the floor and was hard to get up especially if you have back problems. The chairs in the dining room were comfortable - but since they didn't have arms I moved a plastic chair from the balcony to use for enjoying TV. Also the chair in the bedroom was low and hard to get out of - so I used the outdoor chair in the bedroom as well. I mentioned the bed before - while not a deal breaker - I just wish it was more comfortable for me...

Another annoying issue was the air/heat window units....they were both very loud, smelly but worked okay. When we first entered the room, it smelled quite mildewy...and I think it had to do with these window units....another problem was the balcony door was extremely difficult to open..the sliding rails seemed to be rusty and very dirty...one time I closed the door and we almost couldn't open it again.

I actually love the location of this complex...I think all if not most of these condos are privately owned and I really want to find the right condo to stay in...so we may try one more time before moving on somewhere else....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fltam
pelham al
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Beachers was very pleasant. It was in a quiet relaxing location on beach 15 mins
south of busy st augustine but near plenty of good reasonably priced restaurants,
South Beach next door was excellent (we had crab cakes, spinach salad and breakfast). Staff was friendly. Our first floor unit was comfortable, well equipped, and had view of dunes and water. It was clean and plenty of room for 2 people and 2 dogs although the couch was a little worn and sofa bed was torture chamber, the king bed was adequate not very supportive. The beach was steps away. The dog walk area was behind office, a small area. Our dogs loved the beach we walked a long way every morning then drove to historic district to tour.

Room Tip: you can see pictures of each unit on website, enter desired dates and when options are shown select...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here December 5 to December 9, 2012. This particular hotel is a former condominium complex which, I believe, still has some permanent residents. Each condo is owned individually and collectively managed by the hotel part of the business.

I stayed in unit 303 which is described as a Queen Silver suite. There are King and Queen suites, each ranked accordingly as Bronze, Silver, or Gold based on the amount of updating they have undergone. I was very pleased with my suite. I guess the only thing I could say about the room itself is that it might be about time for a paint job, but even that didn't detract from the unit. I had a beautiful view from my balcony over the pool out to the sand dunes and the ocean. I could not have asked for more.

Like many other people who've commented on this hotel, I did have Wi-Fi problems. I had my Macintosh iPad, my PC Laptop, and my Android phone with me. None of the three Wi-Fi enabled devices could locate or "see" the Wi-Fi signal. As I looked over the hotel campus, I noticed that there did not appear to be readily-identifiable signal boosters or signal repeaters that were visible. I actually think the Hotel association might have been duped by whomever they got to install their Wi-Fi system. I didn't complain about this because my phone was also Internet-ready with its 3G and 4G signals, so I didn't miss having the Wi-Fi.

On my next visit, I will probably try a King room at either the Silver or Gold levels. Believe me, there WILL be a next visit to St. Augustine and to Beacher's Lodge. I am thankful that a coworker recommended it to me.

Room Tip: It seems the Queen suites are at the far end of the building overlooking the pool. This made the ba...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Crescent_Beach_Lover, General Manager at Beachers Lodge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We really appreciate the great review and are happy that you are getting to know your favorite options at Beacher's Lodge. Our wi-fi system is getting older and we are currently reviewing proposals for a property wide upgrade to the wi-fi system (this older system being problematic). We have access points at the boardwalk blasting toward the sliding glass doors of the units at the pool, also on the roof at the South end and at the north end of the property. The strongest signal is typically by the office, studio's and conference room, where there are additional antennas. But we are looking at a totally new approach. We know it's important, so please be patient and we will have a better solution for the upcoming seasons. Thank you again for the wonderful words on Beacher's Lodge.