“Where time stands still and the fun begins....”

House of Sea and Sun
Ranked #21 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2010

When a B&B meets all your needs and dreams then why look anywhere else? When our son's college team played baseball in St. Augustine 13 years ago our search for a B&B led us to Ms. Patty Steder and her House of Sea and Sun. We've never looked for another vacation destination since!
Patty knows how to create a relaxed and memorable stay for each and every guest. Throughout the years of going there she and her staff have risen to the occasion each and every time. Thanks to all of them we now know where the "locals" eat and Patty was able to point out several excellent vegetarian restaurants in the area for my husband. When I mentioned that I loved consignment shops she told me of several where I've found some great finds. In turn we have taken her to several local places that we found to add to her list.
Waking up to a substantial , delicious and leisurely breakfast on the glassed in porch/dining room which overlooks the beach and the Atlantic will start your day with a smile on your face! You will love meeting other guests and enjoy the morning ambiance in this great space full of light and grace. If its a Wednesday morning then go on down to the farmer's market just a few blocks down from the inn and enjoy all the merchants have to offer. We've come away with not only produce and freshly baked bread and pastries but art and plants and new friendships and if you're lucky you may be told how to cook up a batch of fresh butter beans and greens!
You can either park your car for your stay and walk to nearby restaurants and shops or spend your days on the never too croweded beaches or take a trip or two into St. Augustine, a city that always amazes us with its charm, great restaurants, historic architecture and downright friendly people. Patty will guide you to where you want to go and she always has brochures and city maps available at the Inn in her grand foyer. What we love most is that you can go in low or high gear, however you please. You really will feel like the Inn is a home away from home. The beaches are spectacular, nice and deep, the ocean fabulous, I also love the fact that the residential streets, full of beach bungalows and cottages, run perpendicular to the beach and that one is not looking at one high rise after another. That makes for a super lovely walk on the beach!
Our last stay was in June of this year. We stayed in Suite Louise, the room with the clawfoot tub. How grand it was to roll over in the morning and have your eyes meet the sea and sand, to hear the sound of the surf, and yes, to soak in that clawfoot tub!
Late afternoon you can join Patty in a glass of wine if you wish for a light happy hour and then off to dinner somewhere nearby. My husband plays golf and has found plenty of courses within easy driving distance. We've been to the House of Sea and Sun during all the different seasons and have loved each and every stay thanks to Patty and her vast knowledge and experience as an innkeeper extraordinaire!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband, Ben, and I were married at this b&b almost one year ago and I am still on cloud 9! The staff was amazing, and catered to every need of our guests no matter the size of the request and Patty- the owner- was such a fantastic hostess. This is not the place to get marriend if you are looking for a commercialized wedding, but if you are looking for a wedding that is personal, and unique then I highly recomend the house of sea and sun! My husband and I returned a year later just to see the place, and Patty remembered us by name and even invited us in for a glass of wine. We ended up reminising for almost two hours! This is such an amazing place, whether for a wedding or a simple weekend getaway- you will feel and be treated like you are home....

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Our wedding day was unforgettable but unfortunately, for all the wrong reasons. When we arrived we did have a big upset right off the bat because there were cars parked within 2-3 feet of our wedding arch but in the end the ceremony WAS lovely and turned out to be the best part of the day. The vehicle fiasco was just the beginning though. We were told that all we were to do as bride and groom was basically to show up and get married; that couldn’t have been farther from the truth. The whole day was an unorganized mess.

1. The B&B was to supply the soft drinks and we were to supply the alcohol. I asked days before if we needed to bring it there pre chilled in our coolers and we were told no. That they would take care of everything. When we arrived, my groom was told by the B&B to go buy ice and clean out the cooler that belonged to the B&B so the alcohol we brought could be chilled. There is NO reason that the groom had to get all sweaty and dirty an hour before the ceremony to clean out their cooler. They should have taken care of that.
2. We were told our guests were to be served drinks and had appetizers of “Strawberries and Goat Cheese on Toast Points with a Balsamic Glaze and also having a Vege Tray” for an additional $100.00; when we were finished with our photos and came to the main house to begin our reception we found out that we did not receive that. We received the strawberry on toast but with chips and dip and cheese and crackers. When I spoke with Kim, the cook, I made it very clear SEVERAL times I did not want chips and dip at my wedding and there was never any mention of cheese and crackers. I would not have agreed to pay $100 more for that. Also, no one was offered any drinks to have along with the appetizers. NOT EVEN WATER. We even provided the alcohol to be served and they didn’t serve it. After the ceremony while the pictures were being taken one of the guests asked about soft drinks and was told no there was only beer and wine, so she asked if they could at least get a pitcher of water. The employees were busy having a conversation about someone's child and it was like they were too busy to even be bothered with helping out, about 15-20 minutes later they finally brought a pitcher of ice water. There was a pitcher of ice tea and one of the guests asked about having some of it and what a mean look he got, but reluctantly they did give him some.
3. The Groom's mother and a friend were there to get the reception table setup , she was told to wait because they would put another white tablecloth on the table then we could put the table runner we had made and the decorations. While waiting she also figured out there wasn't enough chairs so she asked about it and was told it would be taken care of. She left the seating chart there so they could see how many chairs were needed.
When they came back after the ceremony, there was not another tablecloth on the table and when she asked about it they acted like she was crazy. And still there was not enough chairs. She had to ask again and with disgusted looks they were brought out.
4. We were told that soft drink would be provided by the B&B and we were to bring the alcohol, which we did and that there would be a person designated to serve the guests drinks. The bride, groom and guests had to hunt down drinks once seated at the reception table. Everyone was looking at us at the head of the table looking confused. They had begun to serve the meal but no one had even any water. When my groom and I asked a lady for a glass of wine she gave me the dirtiest look and when our best man and maid of honor asked for the same they were ignored. The B&B told me that they were going to supply the soft drinks and after about 20 min. into the dinner and no one had a drink my guest had to get up, walk into the kitchen and ask if they could have a soft drink at which time they were told, “I think its just beer and wine” That is completely ridiculous! I had guests that could not drink alcohol for medical reasons and kids under age, were they planning on serving them alcohol? When they finally brought out what they call soft drinks it was a few half empty 2 liters of soda.
5. We were told that the dinner would be buffet style so our guests could choose what they wanted to eat. When we sat at the table found out the dinner was plated and no one was given an option. I had asked several times prior to the wedding date if the B&B wanted to plate the dinner or buffet it because if it was going to be plated I would have included a meal card with the wedding invitation. Less then half my guests even barely touched their meal. My groom just ate the bread.
6. The children were to receive chicken nuggets, a veggie and macaroni and cheese because they obviously would not eat the adult menu. Two of the kids, sitting side by side, did not receive the same thing, one of the children never even got the kids meal, she was given an adult meal and MY GROOMS 2 LITTLE DAUGHTERS WERE THE LAST TO EAT! THE YOUNGEST DAUGHTER FINALLY GOT HER MEAL AFTER EVERYONE ELSE WAS SERVED. The mother of the groom told the woman delivering the plates that we needed three more kids plates and the one child needed the mac and cheese. She was totally ignored so when she expressed it again the woman just held up her hand which was very RUDE and she still did not acknowledge that she even heard her. Several guests asked for ketchup for the chicken nuggets and no one even brought it out.

7. My husband and I spend hours putting together a CD of music to be played while we were eating and we were told we could play it, even use their speaker system if we needed to. When we sat down to eat and realized that they were playing their music on the satellite radio my groom got up and turned it off and started our playlist. Within 10 minutes one of their employees cranked up their music over ours because I guess they thought they didn’t want to hear our choices.
8. We were told that the common area would be marked off so that other guests could not walk through our reception. While the groom and his mother were having their dance some strangers just walked right through them.
9. While the dances were going on they served the champagne for the toast. Hey, at least its SOME service. But 2 different people tried to give our 11 year old guest a glass on, I believe, 3 different occasions.
10. When it was time for the groom and I to cut the cake I guess the owner thought it would be cute, but she held the cake cutter along with us and said some joke about the upper hand. I understand she was trying to be “cute” but now this women who’s lack of courtesy and organization will be in our wedding photos forever and trust me, I would really love to forget her.
11. Now here’s the BEST stuff of all…when my guests were getting ready to leave, several of them witnessed the owner and her employees drinking what clearly was our alcohol, eating our food and even making plates of our wedding cake, which we had over ¾ of it left because they cut such tiny portions for our guests, and food for each of them to take home. It was noticed by us and our guests that at least half of the kitchen staff, including the owner was intoxicated on what would appear to be the alcohol we brought there for our guests to drink by the fact that It was missing and not by my guests consumption.
12. Later that night when we were in our room we realized that we hadn’t gotten the decorations we brought and any left over alcohol that we brought so I went upstairs to get it. The owner and her employees were whispering and giggling and I couldn’t help to feel it was about us along with the looks that I got from all of them when they saw me. I asked them for the left over alcohol and they handed me 2 half empty bottles of wine and 4 beers. Now, I KNOW that the 8 bottles of wine and case of 20 beers that we brought were not served to us or our guests (and they will all attest to that) so right there is the proof that they either kept it or drank it AND when they did decide to serve the wine they right away opened all 8 bottles, not 1 or 2 at a time like normal people would. But I guess that’s a good way to make sure that WE couldn’t take any left over home.

13. When my groom remembered that the centerpieces and decorations were left up their as well he went up to get them. He too was given the dirtiest look because we can only assume they wanted to keep them. I asked the owner where the decorated tiki torches were that we made for the ceremony and the owner told me they were stolen. Of all the things that were down at the beach on broad daylight, why would anyone steal tiki torches. We were told that everything from the ceremony would be picked up right after the ceremony by the B&B but sometime after pictures my groom had to walk down to the beach and pick up what decorations that were remaining which was the arch decorations that we made and the 2 palms that we brought. The tiki’s were gone. Later when my groom asked where they went to he was told they would check and no one ever got back with him. We spent a lot of time and money putting those decorations together and were assured that they would all be picked up afterwards. I’m not making any accusations but it’s very coincidental that the owners favorite flowers are orchids and all my decorations- tiki’s, centerpieces, etc. were done in orchids. I normally would never think such a thing about anyone but considering the rest of the evening I wouldn’t doubt it.

My groom and I planned this wedding to be simple and elegant and now we are totally embarrassed and will have these nightmare memories forever. Every single guest including the vendors not employed by the B&B at our wedding remembers a bad experience and to think…I PAID FOR THAT. Outside of the ceremony going well we are truly upset that we looked so foolish in front of all our guest because we actually paid for that mess that the House of Sea and Sun called a wedding reception. Any of the guests at my wedding would whole heartedly agree with everything I have said.

It’s sad to say but all I wanted that day was for it to be over. I can not believe the “service” that we received and how my guests and I were treated. My family, friends and I are completely disgusted.

• Stayed: June 2010
10  Thank penguinfriend
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We had a nice stay they were very nice and their kitchen, breakfast is great. the only thing they have a lot of events so they booked all rooms, then...you got to go somewhere else. Walk to the beach, parking and Victorian style interior and decoration. Rooms with direct ocean view, little resaturant on the beach close to hotel, We will recommend it and hope to go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2010

This place has great potential, but falls short. It's a lovely old house right on the beach, but it doesn't get the attention it needs.

The house needs a good cleaning, and breakfast was at best, nothing special. Most of the time I felt like I was intruding in someone's home. The staff varied from day to day as the owner was offsite when we arrived. When the owner returned home I hoped things would improve, but I felt like more of an intruder.

I wish I could recommend this place, but I cannot.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LouLouWho
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I held a Qigong Healing weekend at Patty's last fall. All attendees enjoyed the cozy cofort of the House of Sea and Sun. Patty and staff are wonderful, down to earth ladies with lots of charm. The ocean view and acces is so wonderful. Amazing sceniery. I enjoyed working at Patty's. The space is good for healing meditations and laughter, for sure.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank suzannebuteux
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Having lived in St.Augustine for the past 10 years,I can only say that any time spent oceanfront for a romantic and peaceful getaway is hard to come by,but The House Of Sea and Sun,provides just that....Its centrally located to all that St.Augustine and the beaches have to offer...this is truly a lovely home with a breathtaking oceanview .Everyone was gracious and made us feel like family...which is why people choose b&b over the sterility of a hotel or motel...you dont need a pool when the great Atlantic ocean is at your door....we certainly enjoyed our stay and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends