“Amazing find in St Augustine beach”

House of Sea and Sun
Ranked #22 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Really special. Right on the beach. Real deal old beach house immaculately kept up by Patty and her crew. As others have said, if you like being welcomed into a big happy family, where you can have your own space or not, like to sit on the porch overlooking the beach, or walk 1/2 a block down the beach and hang out at one of the best beach bars/restaurants around -- Beachcombers on A St, you're going to fall in love.
Our room -- Los Vientos -- overlooks
the beach with a high king poster
bed, beautifully appointed bathroom.
The grounds are immaculate and there is private parking.
Can't wait for breakfast -- which is rumoured to be spectacular.
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank capitollobbyist
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for the review. Los Vientos was the original name of the Bed and Breakfast. It translates "The Winds". Having Beachcombers nearby as well as Mango Mangos is a bonus for our guests. We look forward to your next stay with us. Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The moment I entered 2 B Street to check in for a weekend of R&R from work I was met with amazing Atlantic breezes while parking my car and letting my dog out into the backyard to play on her leash while I checked in with Patty Steder the owner, and was also greeted by a wonderfully welcoming staff including Rae, Rebecca and Kim!

These names will all stick in my head for top notch customer service.

All of the Staff were amazing and anyone I might have left out thank you for catering to ALL of my requests for nearby restaurant suggestions, things to do and even advising me of nice local places in the area to avoid high prices and try some excellent local Seafood! I MUST say I NEVER missed a breakfast during my 3 night 4 day stay. The House of Sea and Sun Breakfast is Just as good as their accommodations and views offering omelets, pancakes, homemade breakfast bars, coffee, fruit, waffles, Cheese eggs, bacon and more made fresh and served to your table! I am getting hungry and already looking forward to a return visit. I love nothing more than a good breakfast being catered to me while enjoying it over the sunrise.

My room was the Plum Room at the House of Sea and Sun St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast located on the ground floor with privacy from the Sand Dunes but still amazing views of the Atlantic from the Community Patio and easy access to let my dog out.

Speaking of dogs. There are NO PET FEES and they have no CLEAN UP fee for the pet as long as you clean up after yourself. This is just unheard of at so many B&B's that hardly allow pets.

I can see why The House of Sea and Sun Bed and Breakfast in St Augustine Florida was rated one of the top 10 Bed and Breakfasts in the St. Petersburg Times.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Zoey A
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

We are delighted that you were happy with your stay! We realize that great customer service is important as well as great customer service for our four legged guests as well. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you for the kind review. Patty, Rae, Kim, Rebecca, Missy, Max and Antoinette.....

Reviewed October 1, 2013

As a B&B Connoisseur of sorts with over 33 Independent Stays ranging from the USA, Puerto Rico, and Ireland this one takes the Cake and is now comparable to my 5 star Castle B&B stay just outside of Dublin, Ireland!

Only advantage is that you can now get this type of treatment in St. Augustine, Florida! The St Augustine "House of Sea and Sun" was a great find for myself and family. That says a lot coming from me and read why if you plan on visiting the Best St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast by far.

-5 Star Breakfasts Every Morning Overlooking the Atlantic with inside and outside dining.
Our 1st Morning Breakfast consisted of Pancakes, Hash browns, Fresh Fruit, Coffee, Orange Juice, and Sausage made on request for myself, wife and 4 yr old son.

The innkeeper Patty went well out of her way to drive to the store the next morning or night before, as she seemed to have overheard my son wanting chocolate milk! We were not only impressed but stunned by this type of service/gesture for any B&B we have ever visited.
If you have never been to a Bed and Breakfast you must understand on average, and in most St. Augustine B&B instances as well as around the country and Ireland included from my experiences consist of very stale food that we pass up 95% of the time.

In our stay at the "House of Sea and Sun" as you can see from what we were served above this was not the case.

We looked forward to breakfasts and coffee while watching the sunrise over the Atlantic every morning of our stay. Without listing all off our menu items in the morning we were always served fruit, toast, English muffins, Bacon, Sausage, Eggs, or whatever they had in the fridge!
I was very impressed with the omelets and also enjoyed personal usage of the Grill for dinners outside for sunset patio dining. Between the dinners and my morning coffee I enjoyed unparalleled breezes and felt like I owned the home.

To top it off the parking was great located directly in front of the house, and our Room was the Plum room located downstairs on the far side of the house that gave us access right out our back door to Atlantic breezes and the yard for our dog. In many ways we found some of the ways of life at the "House of Sea and Sun" easier than at home!

Many nights I simply ordered a pizza to the backyard, grilled away upstairs or enjoyed a night out on the town. I recommend Sunset Grille and Mellow Mushroom which were passed to me by some guests that I found very suitable for adults and children with outstanding menu choices.

Going over this review I find myself missing item after item like the protection and privacy of the Sand Dunes, Short Walk to the Beach, outstanding staff, excellent service, clean home, and wait the best part...

I am a lover of history and Henry Flagler! This house was his lived in by his Niece who was the heiress to the Flagler fortune. I can now say I have not only stayed in one of my top Bed and Breakfasts yet, but also ate breakfast where Rockefeller and Flagler talked about the Oil Business and visited with family.

I even was able to purchase a book from the B&B by Greg Jenkins that features the "House of Sea and Sun" in "Haunted Inns, Pubs and Eateries of St. Augustine". It is a very interesting read so far but if this house is haunted it must be by great spirits as we are definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Downstairs is Quite and provides an easy in and out access from the house that also allows for a mor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Lindsay R
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate the time you took to discuss your day and some of the fun things you did while you were visiting us and St. Augustine. We look forward to serving all of our guests with a wonderful experience here at the beach. We hope to see you and your family back soon. Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were referred to this bed and breakfast by a friend of the owner. It is a wonderful place to stay, and the owner, Ms. Patty, is such a welcoming person. We felt right at home with her, her staff, and her three puppies (Missy May, Max, and darling little Antoinette). Ms. Patty is very pet friendly and very hospitable. We will definitely return. This comfortable B&B is a must for anyone looking for hospitality, comfort, and beach. Thank you so much, Ms. Patty, for your graciousness. Thanks to all your staff and your friends who stopped by every morning. We have met some truly nice people in St. Augustine. Your friends Becky and Stuart

• Stayed: August 2013

It's so nice to hear that friends are referring friends to our Bed and Breakfast. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon. Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We visited the House of Sea and Sun a few months ago for Memorial Day weekend and just realized we failed to write a review about this wonderful place! We stayed in the Plum Room and found it the perfect size for our family of three plus a well-behaved, large, beach-loving dog. Patty and the staff made all of us feel right at home - even our pre-teen daughter (not all B&Bs are as welcoming to families, even with older kids).

The breakfast service was A+ every morning, and everything was prepared with care and creativity. The historic home is beautiful and well-decorated but not stuffy - the perfect place to relax in lovely surroundings.

The house is right on the beach and the dunes offer a nice bit of privacy for the first-floor rooms. We especially liked the fact that a second set of dunes separates the cars parking on the sand from the beachgoers and the waterline, which is a better set-up than the driving beaches further south. Even on a holiday weekend, the beach was not crowded in the morning - making it easy for dog-walkers and early risers to enjoy their walks on the beach without a lot of distractions.

All in all, it was a great way to start the summer and gave our family some wonderful vacation memories. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the nice review. We are happy to accommodate children and furry children too! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed with a friend for a long weekend. The owner Patty and all of her staff are so friendly we immediately felt at home. They are were so willing to help with all of our needs or point us in the right direction. Location is great. The beach is beautiful. It's right around the corner from the surf shop where you can rent SUP boards. I will definitely be returning!!!! Thanks Patty!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for the great review. We love helping our guests by telling them all about the local restaurants and historic sites we offer here in St. Augustine. Looking forward to your next visit with us! Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at House of Sea and Sun for our anniversary. We loved the place,the area and the hospitality. The staff was so friendly and welcoming and the other guests were very sweet too. We had a great time. So close to the beach and just a few minutes from St. Augustine. Could not recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us. St. Augustine beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida. We look forward to your next anniversary with us. Patty, Rae, Kim and Rebecca