“A Bit of A Surprise”

House of Sea and Sun
Ranked #22 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a last minute cancellation of other plans to celebrate my husbands birthday. Since we both had already gotten the time off from work we decided to get away for 2 or 3 days. My husband found House of Sea and Sun online. It seemed to fit the bill, quaint, quiet, on the beach and not too far from nice eateries. B Street is a tiny,narrow street lined on both sides with houses that are rentals (signs were the indicators). At the end is House of Sea and Sun. A large house with a long stretch of dunes in front so you do not see the beach. Inside, Patty and her staff (mostly family and pets) welcomed us very warmly, gave us a quick run down of the operation and showed us to our room. The Mary Lilly room was pretty. The balcony was a bit of a joke. It looks out onto the rental house behind and you hear the constant hum of the a/c units on the ground below. If you crane your neck around the corner you can see the balcony of the house next door and catch a glimpse of sand dunes and perhaps the beach!? The bathroom was a nice size but the shower stall was a prefab which allowed one to turn around but barely shave your legs (I am pretty normal in size, 5'6" and 125 lbs) Thank goodness my husband doesn't shave his legs!! We had lunch at Mango Mango a block away, that was barely good but ok. Tried to take a nap but alot of noise outside, lawn equipment, I think. We could also hear what sounded like kids running around upstairs, ok 'cause we are staying in an old house. Dinner at Saltwater Cowboys was the highlight of the trip. We did not have a good night. . .kids running around upstairs again and at some point the a/c was barely there. After tossing and turning and sweating, we realized we were lucky that we made it to 5 am so we would just get a real early start on the day with a walk on the beach. Then we remembered that coffee was not available until 8 am and breakfast at 9. We quickly decided we did not want to do that for another night, and left. It could just be me but I did not find that House of Sea and Sun was all it said it is on its website. If you are looking for a comfortable, romantic getaway this is not it. I reiterate that Patty and the staff were very nice and apologetic.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eva K
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

The House of Sea and Sun aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our guests and always takes into consideration any inconvenience our guests may experience while here.

I have discussed our balcony with staff and we are currently updating and adding lattice for more privacy. Mary Lily's private entrance has been popular so far but we realize there is always room for improvement.

We hope to continue being pet and child friendly as our guests truly love being able to bring their "babies" with them. Your comments will help us to improve our current procedures.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as it will help us bring better customer service to our guests.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused to you. The House of Sea and Sun is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Patty and the Staff
House of Sea and Sun

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stepping into the House of Sea and Sun is like staying at your favorite aunt's house: warm hospitality, delicious breakfast, and the feeling of coming home. All of this is only steps from the beach, which we could see from the French doors in our room. Two fantastic eateries are within walking distance, and the historic city is less than 10 minutes away! Everyone at The House of Sea and Sun was gracious and genuinely interested in making our stay memorable and comfortable. Two nights wasn't long enough for us, so we are coming back next month! We will recommend this place to everyone we know who wants the perfect getaway.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The House of Sea and Sun is a delightful bed and breakfast that we've stayed at more than a few times for our anniversary. (Yes, I know, it's just a hop, skip and a jump from where we live, but hey, sometimes you don't have to go far to truly get away, eh?). Rooms are cozy and well-appointed and the breakfasts are simple, yet delicious. Our first evening we were relaxing in the big common room that overlooks the beach chatting with the winsome owner, Patty. Soon couples and singles began wandering in with bottles of wine, cheese, smoked meats, and other pre-dinner items. One guy even brought in a big pail of fresh mussels (which Patty immediately threw into a big pot with some white wine and garlic.) As conversation and laughter filled the room, I turned to my wife and whispered, "All these people can't be staying here. It's not that big." A man sitting near us replied, "Oh, we don't stay here. We just drop in on the weekends with food and wine." Yep, it's that kinda place.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated differently. We've stayed in three different ones and they were all wonde...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the House of Sea and Sun....especially nice because you are a St. Augustine neighbor! We hope to see you often.....thank you so much for the kind review.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I just returned from a short stay at the House of Sea and Sun and wish it had been much longer. The Inn is lovely, right on the beach and the hospitality can't be beat! I felt very pampered from my arrival right through to my departure and innkeeper Patty and all her staff were very gracious and did everything to make my short stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was wonderful especially the peach pancakes! Patty is a great cook!

I stayed in the Plum Room - very pretty and the bed was so comfortable. The french doors from the room opened out into the yard with a brick patio and a comfortable seat for reading and enjoying the ocean breeze. My only reservation to this room is that ocean views are obstructed by sand dunes so if an ocean view is important to you, I would recommend a room upstairs. I got to peek at Suite Louise upstairs - lovely ocean view and that is the room I have my sites on for my next visit.

The inn is also within walking distance to restaurants. I recommend Mango Mangoes. Historic St Augustine is only a short car ride.

You just can't go wrong staying here! I'm already looking forward to my next return trip.

Room Tip: The Plum Room is on the ground floor with french doors to the outside and is very near the walk way...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Plum Room is a great room.....french doors open for a direct walk to the beach. Yes, Mother Nature has built up the sand dunes. We appreciate you mentioning our great view from the top floor that guests may enjoy as well. We hope to see you come back for a visit very soon.

Patty, Rae, Kim, Rebecca and Robin

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We spent a great weekend at this B&B. The location was perfect, right on the beach and still close enough to historic downtown that we got to enjoy all of St. Augustine. The innkeeper was friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious! The house is beautiful and clean. The rooms are very large. Access to the beach is incredible. They are pet friendly. I highly recommend either the Plum Room or Safari Room if you have pets. They have french doors that open to a patio and grassy area that is perfect for pets. We will be visiting again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

We love having our four-legged friends stay with us and bring their owners with them! St. Augustine Beach is a dog friendly beach which makes the stay even more enjoyable. Thank you for the great review.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Friends from Brandon, Florida have been staying at Patty's B & B on the beach for over 10 years. I recently retired from my job and wanted a week in Florida to reenergize. So I stayed a few days with friends in Brandon, and then all of us headed over to St. Augustine and the House of Sea and Sun for 3 days. This was truly the perfect spot I was longing for!! Was so taken with the place that we ended up staying over an extra day and Patty/staff did everything possible to accommodate us. Food was great, staff fantastic, rooms on the main and upper level were perfection; beds and bedding luscious! And with the beautiful pristine beaches in their back yard, it truly was a magical place. I returned from my trip with a renewed sense of peace, and many fond memories of the people we met during our stay. I will be back and can't be soon enough!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

As always.....our guests are simply the best! We are so happy that you are delighted with your stay here with us at the beach! We look forward to having you vacation with us again.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Three friends and I stayed 3 nights at this wonderful inn by the sea. The food was outstanding, rooms were spotless, hospitality plentiful..a super place to relax and enjoy a lovely restored home on the beach! We'll be back for sure!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

It's always great to have our guests come back year after year and bring new friends for us to meet. Like family, we enjoy hearing all the news since their last visit. Looking forward to seeing you all again!