“You Don't Have to Go Far To Get Away”

House of Sea and Sun
Ranked #21 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The House of Sea and Sun is a delightful bed and breakfast that we've stayed at more than a few times for our anniversary. (Yes, I know, it's just a hop, skip and a jump from where we live, but hey, sometimes you don't have to go far to truly get away, eh?). Rooms are cozy and well-appointed and the breakfasts are simple, yet delicious. Our first evening we were relaxing in the big common room that overlooks the beach chatting with the winsome owner, Patty. Soon couples and singles began wandering in with bottles of wine, cheese, smoked meats, and other pre-dinner items. One guy even brought in a big pail of fresh mussels (which Patty immediately threw into a big pot with some white wine and garlic.) As conversation and laughter filled the room, I turned to my wife and whispered, "All these people can't be staying here. It's not that big." A man sitting near us replied, "Oh, we don't stay here. We just drop in on the weekends with food and wine." Yep, it's that kinda place.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated differently. We've stayed in three different ones and they were all wonde...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at the House of Sea and Sun....especially nice because you are a St. Augustine neighbor! We hope to see you often.....thank you so much for the kind review.

There are newer reviews for House of Sea and Sun

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I just returned from a short stay at the House of Sea and Sun and wish it had been much longer. The Inn is lovely, right on the beach and the hospitality can't be beat! I felt very pampered from my arrival right through to my departure and innkeeper Patty and all her staff were very gracious and did everything to make my short stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was wonderful especially the peach pancakes! Patty is a great cook!

I stayed in the Plum Room - very pretty and the bed was so comfortable. The french doors from the room opened out into the yard with a brick patio and a comfortable seat for reading and enjoying the ocean breeze. My only reservation to this room is that ocean views are obstructed by sand dunes so if an ocean view is important to you, I would recommend a room upstairs. I got to peek at Suite Louise upstairs - lovely ocean view and that is the room I have my sites on for my next visit.

The inn is also within walking distance to restaurants. I recommend Mango Mangoes. Historic St Augustine is only a short car ride.

You just can't go wrong staying here! I'm already looking forward to my next return trip.

Room Tip: The Plum Room is on the ground floor with french doors to the outside and is very near the walk way...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Plum Room is a great room.....french doors open for a direct walk to the beach. Yes, Mother Nature has built up the sand dunes. We appreciate you mentioning our great view from the top floor that guests may enjoy as well. We hope to see you come back for a visit very soon.

Patty, Rae, Kim, Rebecca and Robin

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We spent a great weekend at this B&B. The location was perfect, right on the beach and still close enough to historic downtown that we got to enjoy all of St. Augustine. The innkeeper was friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious! The house is beautiful and clean. The rooms are very large. Access to the beach is incredible. They are pet friendly. I highly recommend either the Plum Room or Safari Room if you have pets. They have french doors that open to a patio and grassy area that is perfect for pets. We will be visiting again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
AndrewsWay, Owner at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

We love having our four-legged friends stay with us and bring their owners with them! St. Augustine Beach is a dog friendly beach which makes the stay even more enjoyable. Thank you for the great review.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Friends from Brandon, Florida have been staying at Patty's B & B on the beach for over 10 years. I recently retired from my job and wanted a week in Florida to reenergize. So I stayed a few days with friends in Brandon, and then all of us headed over to St. Augustine and the House of Sea and Sun for 3 days. This was truly the perfect spot I was longing for!! Was so taken with the place that we ended up staying over an extra day and Patty/staff did everything possible to accommodate us. Food was great, staff fantastic, rooms on the main and upper level were perfection; beds and bedding luscious! And with the beautiful pristine beaches in their back yard, it truly was a magical place. I returned from my trip with a renewed sense of peace, and many fond memories of the people we met during our stay. I will be back and can't be soon enough!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

As always.....our guests are simply the best! We are so happy that you are delighted with your stay here with us at the beach! We look forward to having you vacation with us again.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Three friends and I stayed 3 nights at this wonderful inn by the sea. The food was outstanding, rooms were spotless, hospitality plentiful..a super place to relax and enjoy a lovely restored home on the beach! We'll be back for sure!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

It's always great to have our guests come back year after year and bring new friends for us to meet. Like family, we enjoy hearing all the news since their last visit. Looking forward to seeing you all again!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband, my chihuaha and I had the opportunity to stay in this beautiful B&B on the Beach. We are B&B people and this one is on the top of the list, This is a grand 100 year old home which has been restored beautifully by the owner. The breakfasts are the best by far... Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Roaring 20's Room has a beautiful view of the ocean waves from the huge window by the bed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The House of Sea and Sun hosted our dream wedding April 4, 2013. The owner Patty is amazing and made our dream beach wedding come true. Her and Rae the fabulous wedding coordinator took care of everything for us from the amazing food Patty cooked including my special request appetizer tomato sandwiches, that were OUTSTANDING!! to Rae's gorgeous flower arrangement and the wonderful photographer Les, who made us smile with every shot. We rented out the whole house for 2 nights so we could have a few family members join us from NY with no stress. It was all so perfect. Every single room is beautiful and we all agreed, all the beds were super comfortable! We had a wonderful stay a beyond perfect wedding and will be back very soon to enjoy waking up to that amazing ocean view and Patty's delicious breakfast. Thanks so much again to Patty, Rae, Kim, Robbin and everyone else at The House Of Sea and Sun that helped make our wedding so romantic and incredible!!!!!
Claire & Charlie
Lake Mary, Florida

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewsWay, Coordinator at House of Sea and Sun, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you so much for the kind review. Couples like yourselves make our job not only easy but delightful.....We enjoyed helping you pull all the details together and loved meeting your friends and family. We can't wait for you to come back for your First Anniversary.

Patty, Rae, Kim, Rebecca, Robin and the Gang...