“Perfectly Quaint in Every Way”

Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was really excited to stay here. It's right in the middle of everything. AND it was supposedly haunted. (It's not. I'm sensitive and did not feel a thing in the B&B) It was going to be a fantastic weekend for my husband and I.

It was.The breakfasts were fantastic! The staff was great! If you can get Kelly booked for a massage, do it. Just a great location and a great experience, and relatively inexpensive.

We stayed in the Minorcan Suite. Had 2 rooms, and a private entrance. It was just perfect.

If you like quaint, old world charm, this place is for you.

Room Tip: It's old. The floors creek. If you don't want much of a creek, book an upper level room. Kno...
1  Thank Bonnie C

Reviewed October 1, 2013

After reading wonderful reviews about this B&B we booked the Montejurra room for two nights. Right after the manager showed me to our room, she proceeded to inform me that the room was haunted. She explained that on a few occasions women experienced someone shaking them by the shoulders around 4:15 in the morning. She also told me that they had noticed after setting up the dining room at night that things would be moved prior to the next morning. When I told this unwelcome news to my friend, we went to talk to the manager to get our money back. She was shocked that we would even want to leave and informed us that it would be a huge issue if this is what we really wanted. Since we could see we weren't going to get anywhere, I decided that it would be an adventure. What I didn't count on was that I would have an anxiety attack every time I entered the room on the first day. While I didn't "see" the ghosts, I could sence their presence. Both nights, I slept on the side of the bed that the a/c did not blow on. The first night the only physical thing that I noticed was like someone lightly running their hand over the top of my head. But, I thought maybe this was an overactive imagination. The second night, I could feel the presence much stronger. Then around 3:30 in the morning, I felt something pressing against me under my neck, not in a threatening way, but not a welcomed feeling either. I opened my eyes, looked to see where my hands were (not where the pressure was) and verified that my friend was sleeping. Then around 4:30, something pulled at the sheets on the side of the bed by my feet.
We also found that paranormal studies have been done in this room....don't you think you be told this prior to booking it???
If you want to experience this, it's a great place for you. But if you're like me and just want a relaxing get away, DO NOT go here!!!
Maybe the staff is used to this and think the ghosts are friendly, but I don't...
P.S. They did nothing to try and make up for this terrible experience other than telling me that if I come back, they would suggest the other building.

Room Tip: If you want a relaxing stay, make sure you ask about ghosts prior to booking the room...
2  Thank PowerMom315
CasadeSolana, Manager at Casa de Solana Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

We are quite sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit. There is some sort of haunted story and conjecture about nearly every building in St. Augustine, Casa is not unique in that regard, and we make no claim either way. Our ancient city is publically-loaded with ghost stories, and it is a good idea for all potential guests to research every place at which they are considering staying to help facilitate the experience they are hoping to have (whether it be haunted or haunt free).

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Slept overnight in kirby smith room 9-28-13 and I was a little anxious knowing under the ground and all around death from the past was talked about by a haunted tour guide prior to sleeping here.I don't know if this is a recipe to make us believe or have our imagination create our own experience but I tell you I had an experience.A half hour after going to bed I tossed and tried to get comfortable then as I settled a bit I noticed a cold feeling come down on to my body I was under the covers and snug no way a/c could do this ,A sensation passed thru horizontal length wise head to toe and did it again 10 minutes later,this sensation moved thru my body from top of my whole length thru the bottom of me leaving me downward thru the mattress.I don't know about metaphysics and such but folks this was spine tingling to me. I loved the people here ,they are very nice but I wont go thru another night in St.Augustine ever again.I tell you this place has alot of energy flowing here and its real stuff I do believe IT NOW!

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Isabella room. The room was nice, but we didn't see any antiques like the website says. Decor was a little disappointing, although the handpainted mural on the entertainment center was pretty. The lady who checked us in was wonderful- knowledgable, nice, helpful. But there was a gentleman at the front desk we saw later who was cold and almost rude, seemed like he didn't want to be there and we were a bother. Breakfast was okay. Location of this b&b is amazing. Gardens were nice. Parking offsite was a little tricky but understandable given the historic nature of this town. Balcony was very nice, but it wasn't exactly "private" as the website says, because a few steps around the corner and it's the next door room's balcony. It was still lovely.

Unfortunately there was a large group of drunk people partying in the courtyard of the b&b right below our room that were so loud we heard them through our windows over the tv. This went on for hours from 10pm to after 2am. It was hard to sleep with all the noise. This is not the inn's fault, but it would have been nice if someone was on staff at night to ask them to keep it down.

The hot tub in the room was very relaxing, until I felt the soap scum crusted along the sides of the tub. Ick.

We would return, however would request a room in the main house as we assume the decor would be more appropriate to the age of the house. And you can't beat the location. The street it's located on is magical. But for the price we paid, we expected a little more.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Cinderelaw
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and I wish we never had booked a longer stay. I had always thought jacuzzi tubs were kinda cheesy until staying here, and it was very clean as well as relaxing. Nice linens, loved the private porch. Wished there was a closer place to park, since my husband had to park our car several blocks away during a downpour. Wonderful how many unique shops and restaurants were so close by. The car didn't end up mattering until was time for the beach. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My now-husband and I checked into the Casa de Solana before our wedding and we fell in love! Not with each other…that was already a fact…but with this B & B! We live in St. Augustine but this was our first time staying downtown and we loved it! We stayed in the Mary Mitchell room and it was lovely! The room was large and spacious, very well appointed, and very private. The courtyards are so cozy and romantic, the dining room and parlor are beautiful, and the staff is amazing! We enjoyed an amazing breakfast each morning. It was definitely cuisine and not just a continental snack. We had yummy omelets, stuffed crepes, and a delicious French Toast casserole with fresh cream and berries, along with scones, English muffins, coffee and juice. We didn't make it to the wine social in the afternoons but I'm sure that was great as well. I would definitely recommend the Casa de Solana to anyone looking for a romantic, comfortable, convenient spot for a getaway. You'll be walking distance to everything historic downtown St. Augustine has to offer and you'll love your stay! Thanks to everyone at Casa de Solana for making our honeymoon everything we hoped for!

Room Tip: The Mary Mitchell room is spacious and lovely. If you want a tub however, don't choose this room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just what you think a 250 year old bed and breakfast would be. Beautiful courtyard, well decorated rooms, and a lot of charm. We really enjoyed our stay. As a previous guest stated, the bathroom was small, but not unexpected in an old house. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The breakfast dishes were delicious. All of the staff members were very helpful and pleasant to speak with. Casa de Solana is located on some of the most beautiful old one lane streets in St Augustine. Several restaurants are located right outside the courtyard on Aviles street. You can dine late, or go out late for a drink and walk less than a minute to be back at this B&B. The parking lot was not difficult to walk to and it was a great advantage to not have to pay for parking. The only negative was that on 1 night the water for the shower was only warm. Not a big problem though. Overall, a great experience and we will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple