“Great Experience”

Ranked #25 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
VA
“Great Experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Great location - less than a block to downtown St Augustine. Breakfasts were ok, the room was clean and the owner was very helpful with recommendations and directions. We stayed in the Garden Room, it was quiet, clean and all together very nice.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2007

I don't recommend staying here. It's not bad, but for the money you'll pay, you could stay at a better inn. The breakfasts were not 'gourmet' as the inn website claims. The first day was some type of cheese grit. On our second day, we opted to have breakfast somewhere else (cheese again). They leave out some treats at night (cookies and iced tea), but then pick it up instead of leaving it out. The bathroom was really uncomfortable. The shower/tub type thing must've been 3 feet off the ground. The room was small and the furniture was old. The bed was comfortable, though. It's saving grace: it's location. It is near everything, but so are other b&bs in St. Augustine. I do not recommend this place -- it's too expensive for what you're going to get.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else but the location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lolalafemme
RI
Reviewed January 4, 2007

We had the opportunity of staying at this Inn for a 3 day stay. We stayed in their best room known as the Pullman room. The room was rather small but we managed. What was absolutely a shock was how many pieces of broken furniture were in this room! The bed post, 2 small end tables and a big chair. You could tell they had been glued numerous times but yet to find leaning furniture in a room that you couldn't even use was displeasing to the eye. Also, the amount of MOLD in the shower was just too much for the naked eye.. it was everywhere! My husband told me to forget it, but I just had to scratch some of it with my fingernail while in the shower to see if it would really come off...and it did! This was totally unexceptable.
Our room was cleaned daily, but the ice bucket with water in it was always left as were the dirty glasses...just makes it difficult to recomend this to anyone with the $700+ we spent.

Florida
Reviewed December 5, 2006

I spent the most wonderful week in St. Augustine, Florida. The Southern WInd Inn was magnificent. My every need was attended to. The inn is beautiful and the host are great. They went out of their way to guide me around the historical city, making suggestion for tours as well as dining. Definitely a place to return to.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — eveything was perfect
  • Tips/Secrets — extend your trip
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Having booked into the B&B on Halloween weekend I wasn't, at first, sure if the lack of assistance upon arrival was due to the busy event weekend. The gentleman host was quick to take my money and leave the property without offering to take my suitcase upstairs. The room (first right at top of stairs) was clean, although not pristine and had a definite well worn appearance. The bath was chipped in many places and the tv had only four channels. A frugal 2 chocolates were displayed for my enjoyment; I declined the temptation...

Breakfast was hardly a 'gourmet' event. I think the lone slice of cold meat an earlier guest mentioned was still the same piece being served up!

What made my stay pleasant were the 2 lovely couples I met during my stay. Simple as.

The disappointment was for the amount of money charged I expected a higher standard. If I'd been charged $70-80 per night I would have felt quite different. Being from the UK I am more than used to historic buildings but felt that the entire property badly needed some tlc and some experienced hosts.

• Liked — The location
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you only pay $70-80 per night
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank LittleUkTraveller
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2006

We stayed here for the second time in a year and found the visit as pleasurable as the first. Great food, clean accomodations, and handy to all that St. Aug has to offer!

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 12, 2006

I stayed here for a week with a friend and we had a wonderful time here. Our hosts were very nice and always available for questions, recommendations, etc., but there were NOT underfoot--which is a good thing. Breakfast was great all 4 days (we had a different main dish every day, but had the same choice of fruit, tea, coffee, bread, granola, and yogurt everyday). The house was very quiet, the beds were comfortable, and the whirlpool tub was a godsend after a day of sightseeing.

Both my friend and I agreed that we would have no problem staying there again on another trip.

• Stayed May 2006