“Disappointing”
Review of Southern Wind Inn

Southern Wind Inn
Ranked #24 of 30 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This inn is located in the heart of St. Augustine, which is very convenient, and we enjoyed walking to most places. However, there were some things which were disappointing. Our room had a vintage tub, however, much the caulking was missing and/or moldy. And there was a hair in the tub that had not been cleaned out. When we arrived at 4, there was a tray of chocolate chip cookies and iced tea, but no wine as advertised on the website. I asked if there was coffee, and was told there would be coffee available at 8:15 the next morning. Get a Keurig!! In the evening we had a question about the wireless internet password, and the innkeepers were gone with a note saying to call their number, which they didn't answer. Finally, I asked another guest, and she was able to help us. Our room was in the front of the inn and there was LOUD music and sounds of partying until 2:00 a.m. This was coming from a bar across the street. Needless to say, we didn't get to sleep until after 2:00 a.m. Also, the room was a little chilly and the mattress was hard. Breakfast was store bought English muffins, raisin bread and fruit and yogurt, with the hot choice being a slice of egg and cheese casserole and a muffin. No meat. This was my daughter's first experience at a B&B, and she thought the place was okay, but I've been to many B&B's and know how much better it could be. This was not on the level of other B&B's and not as nice as I had expected.

Room Tip: I would try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeanniel55
There are newer reviews for Southern Wind Inn

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very clean, comfortable inn. Walls were a little thin but could overlook that for the hospitality of the innkeepers and the proximity to most points of interest in St Augustne. Will return to this inn.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank BCBC4
Reviewed February 25, 2014

First off - let me just say the location is perfect to all the hustle and bustle of downtown Saint Augustine. I've been in the hotel business for over a decade, so I'm probably a little more harsh than everyone else here. I've also stayed in quite a few B&B's and there was one thing that stood out the most for me.
The owner was spectacular. Very kind and helpful with the city's information. Exactly what you need if you're a newbie to the area. Hot breakfast in the morning and you can sit out on the front porch enjoying your eats and coffee.
My biggest and only complaint - please update your place!
I can tell they did at some point, but it was either not enough or a VERY long time ago. The mattress felt like an ironing board, two different colored carpets, antique furniture which doesn't fit any clothes - don't even think about using the shelving in the closet because it was very dirty/dusty, and the bathroom shower/tub combo... well... let's just say the positive was the shower pressure.
There are so many better options in Saint Augustine for B&B's. Would I go there again? Probably not for the nightly amount I paid, unless I discovered they renovated. Then it would be well worth the money. It's so important in this industry and economy to make sure every detail is accounted for. There were many of my wants met, but not my needs... not this time at least.

Room Tip: If you're looking for more peace and quiet - get a room in the back of the house away from the s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingQueen82
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed the weekend in the porcelain room. Quaint, Cozy, warm, clean and plenty of space. Breakfast was delicious as the owners are delightful. Great location with walking distance to everything in the heart of town. We loved it! Thank you for a wonderful B&B expiernce!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night for our anniversary. Total surprise... I loved it! The place is so cute and has so much character!

We stayed in the Coquina room... It was located in the back. So cute, clean... Just my perfect idea of a B&B! It was AWESOME to be SOOOO close to everything! We walked to everything and could keep our car parked safely in back! The mojo BBQ place diagonal across the street is delicious and a perfect go to if you're staying here. Breakfast was good too- cheesy egg dish... No complaints here! Oh! And the chocolate chip cookies... To die for.

I can't wait to visit st. Augustine again and come back and stay again! Way better than any hotel you can pick in the area!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband had stayed at this B&B over 20 years ago. He and I stayed for two nights just before Christmas. We could not have been more comfortable or been more welcomed. Thank you Scott for making our stay so enjoyable. And breakfast was off the charts fantastic!!!!!

Room Tip: The second floor front facing rooms had the nicer porches but nobody did without given the first flo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Looked all over for a good value and convenience near the heart of historic downtown. Well we found both in this charming bed and breakfast. Right from the start we arrived 2 hours prior to check-in and without any reluctance our hosts allowed us to move right in. Only a block away from St George's St and less than a 5 minute walk from most of the things we wanted to see it couldn't have gotten any better. We were served breakfast upon waking and hit the town and came back for a nap before heading out to dinner. Quiet enough midweek to be able nap during the day and sleep comfortably at night. We checked out and hit the road for Miami and only 1 hour later got a call that we left some clothes behind from Scott. They said no problem they would ship them to us. If you are looking for a great place to stay check them out, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple