“battery recharged”

Ranked #12 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Skowhegan, Maine
“battery recharged”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Anthony and Marilyn were very helpful with general area info and even helped arrange activities outside the B & B. Our arrival was greeted was warmly and handled very well, even assisting with luggage. The lodging is exactly what it bills itself to be - a Victorian house with period furniture and the ambience of that time from the fresh-baked cookies each afternoon to the Amaretto for the evning nightcap. The bed was anold sleighbed with updated bedding that was far more comfortable than many recent hotel stays. Breakfast was warm entrees sized to get one moving for the day. The location is great for walking around town - 2 short blocks south of King Street (the residential side!) and near to the marina. The stay allowed us to recharge and relax with each other for a romantic time.

Room Tip: This is a remodeled Victorian house to accomodate private baths, so go with the flow - you will enjo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The house is very old and so are the furnishings. I have stayed at old B&Bs, they were at least updated with the bedroom and bedding. When we got to our room we noticed a piece of candy under the bed, this means to me it was not vacumed, we bent down to pick it up and we found a used lipstick. Picked up a clean cup for my coffee in the afternoon and found lipstick on the glass, now I do not want to even stay here at this point. The innkeepers are very nice, they need to put some money back into their business and CLEAN IIT UP!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Victorian House, Owner at Victorian House, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We thank you for your recent visit to our historic home. Our main house was built in 1895 and our Carriage House 1897. The Victorian House is mostly furnished with period furniture many pieces being true antiques that would delight any collector and some purists. The room you mentioned had been one of our first to restore in 2012 with fresh paint, new linens, bedding, window treatments, rugs, MP clock with docking for Iphone and of course a Flat screen TV all showcasing a vintage iron bed that any experienced travel agent would recognize. When you enjoyed our afternoon socials and breakfasts we hope that you enjoyed our newly painted parlor and dining room. Each evening we were delighted to see you enjoying our freshened porch. We are saddened that you were not satisfied with your entire stay and are surprised that you had not mentioned any of your concerns throughout your visit. My husband and myself live on site are always available to address any questions a guest might have.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I want to start off by saying my wife and I stayed here 3 years ago and absolutely had a five star appearance. We were very excited to book our stay over the past Labor Day weekend and were happy to see they have maintained their reputation. I am not sure what happened for our stay, but I would sincerely hope that our experience was just a one-off experience.

We booked our stay for Labor Day weekend back in March. We chose Patricia's suite since that is room we stayed in three years earlier and it has a two-person Jacuzzi. All went well when we booked the 2 nights.

A week prior to arriving we were a bit shocked to see that we had been charged for our stay. Our confirmation email very clearly stated that full payment is due on arrival. We took this to mean that when we arrived we would hand them our card and then would process payment then. This is how it happened three years ago. Since our arrival was on August 31 (the day I get paid), I scheduled a few small bills to be paid that week. I ended up having to shift some things around so that their would be funds to cover any bills that were scheduled. It ended up being ok. I called Victorian House regarding this and was told that this is how they operate. They always charge their customers a week prior to arriving. I told them about the confirmation email (even forwarded them a copy) and the 'due on arrival' means just that. They did not even offer an apology and said they have to charge early to hold the room and cover their up-front expenses. If this is the case, the confirmation email should have stated 'payment will be processed seven days before arrival'.

We decided to let the billing issue go because we wanted to have a nice weekend getaway and trying to find somewhere nice last minute on a holiday weekend can be a challenge. When we arrived we did not receive the warm welcome we had hoped for. No smiles, no enthusiasm. If you are going to run a bed and breakfast, every guest should be treated like close family. That's the reason we didn't look for hotels. We went through the paperwork and the innkeeper showed us some of the attractions around town. We asked where the location of the Raintree was and were told. She also told us they could arrange for a ride to and from. We said we would absolutely love that and our reservation was at 6pm the following evening. When the following night rolled around, we had assumed things were taken care of. Around 5:30, we were sitting in the parlor and as the innkeeper walked by we asked about what time they would be picking us up. She told us we didn't say anything about a ride. My wife and I ended up walking the two blocks to our car. During our walk we looked at each other and said there is no way she could have missed our request. When we got to dinner, they did call and offered us a free second round of drinks. This was a good gesture, unfortunately, when I am driving, I stop at one drink and did not take the offer. My wife had a second beer.

On to the room. When were first showed our room, the very first thing we noticed was the overwhelming smell of mold in the room. The billing issue and the dinner fiasco could be overlooked, but not a moldy smelling room. Especially when it is the most expensive room! Our only guess was that it was coming from the carpet (which had several small stains and needed to be professionally cleaned) or the air conditioning (which had black mold looking spots all throughout). On a positive note, the linens were fresh...... Again, we did not say anything because we wanted to enjoy our weekend and finding other accommodations, last minute, during Labor Day weekend would have been difficult. This was probably a mistake because the two mornings we woke up, my wife's, and my own, allergies had flared up pretty bad. We normally spend time in our rooms while on vacation, especially when it gets hot outside. This time, we did everything we could around town to avoid going back to the room. I must say though, there is a lot to do in St. Augustine!

Finally, the Jacuzzi, the centerpiece of our room, and the reason we chose this room during our first stay three year prior needed a bit of TLC. By a bit, I mean no longer than an hour worth of work from any old handyman to replace the caulking, fill in some grout and touch up some paint. The caulking had separated from the tub and wall almost completely around and started turning black. I was shocked to see such a simple maintenance task had been neglected. The grout and the paint needed some touch ups too, but nowhere near as bad as the caulking. I'm still shocked that they would advertise the room as romantic and then miss something so obvious. It was a major eyesore for us and basically ruined any romantic moods we would have had using the Jacuzzi.

To wrap things up, I honestly hope our experience was a one-off experience. I don't know if the owners were away or they sold it to new owners. The innkeeper that was there during our stay is not the couple we remembered from three years ago. Unfortunately for us, I don't think we will be staying at the Victorian House next time we are in St. Augustine.

Room Tip: The reviews here speak for themselves. This is a nicer bed & breakfast. Just don't choose...
2 Thank Foxxyben
Victorian House, Owner at Victorian House, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We would like to thank you for visiting us here at the Victorian House. We try our best to accommodate each guest’s needs and requests. We have worked extremely hard to raise the level of satisfaction via evidence of our reviews and our recognition from Trip Advisor for our Certificate of Excellence thanks to our prior guests accolades and reviews.

We are concerned that you had not experienced an optimum visit with us during your recent stay. We had communicated our apology for any misunderstandings to you both verbally and electronically prior to your arrival regarding your concern of payment for the reservation and offered to correct the matter upon arrival. We are not sure why you think we were trying to “cover up front costs” there were none, that is not an issue.

At check in you asked the location of two restaurants “Floridian and Raintree” and were provided that information and we offered to make reservations for you but you declined the offer. You were offered to have arrangements for pickup for your Saturday reservation and were asked to just let us know the time. During the busy Labor Day check in it is entirely possible your reply with the time was not heard. When you had not mentioned your dinner reservations during Saturday morning breakfast we assumed that you had already made your own arrangements for transportation. About 5:45 pm Saturday night I saw you seated in our Parlor enjoying conversations with several other guests, I did ask if you had the pick up scheduled and that I could call if you still needed a ride. The response you gave was your reservation was at six and you will “…just drive our car down…”. If you had given us the chance to make the call before you departed the house we would have had the pickup available within (5) minutes where we had other guests scheduled for the same 6pm reservation slot with the shuttle service. We recognized your discontent and contacted the restaurant asking the Matre de to visit your table and express our complimentary first beverage for the miscommunication of reservations. Sunday at check out your wife did mention that where everyone was talking at once during check in, the time of reservation might not have been heard. I was delighted that she both acknowledged the possibility of a miscommunication and thanked us for the complimentary beverage.

On Friday when I escorted you to your room I pointed out that we had provided a complimentary dish of Chocolate Truffles as our gesture for any misunderstanding and inconvenience you may have experienced to your availability of funds. If you and your wife had mentioned to me, my husband or our housekeeper at any time during your stay with us your concerns regarding the maintenance of your room, we would had been able to address them immediately while you were out and about enjoying the City causing you limited to no interruption of your room experience.

We encourage all to read the reviews our past guests have posted on the Trip Advisor site and to realize we have taken the ratings from above the 23rd raking to where it is now. For our guests staying at the Victorian House we encourage them to read the comments our prior guests have written in our guest book including several from the Labor Day weekend.
Parrish, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

At the time you walk into the house it feels amazing. From the on going smell of fresh baked cookies, to fresh coffee or tea and wonderful homemade breakfast delights, down to the social hour with wine or beer, Anthony and Marilyn make you feel welcomed! Perfect location with easy access to anywhere you wish to go. Park the car and enjoy a beautiful and relaxing time. All rooms are lovely and clean! Peaceful front porch for vegging out or reading a good book. Marilyn and Anthony make sure their guest are happy. Have special request, diets, storing bikes, whatever....they do their best to meet everyones needs. They will also give you ideas of places to visit and a map. We had a wonderful and memorable vacation here. Thank you, Marilyn and Anthony! We'll be back! Paul and Connie M.

Room Tip: All rooms are great! Can see them on the web site.
Greensboro
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had never stayed in an bed and breakfast before so I was not sure what to expect prior to staying at the Victorian House. I am happy to report after staying here, I'm hooked!! I'm hooked on B&Bs, I'm hooked on St. Augustine, and I'm seriously hooked on Anthony's ham and brie quiche...not mention Marilyn's coffee cakes (especially the chocolate one)!! Breakfast at the Victorian House was wonderful every morning. The inn itself is beautiful, comfortable, and quiet. It places you right in a prime location to enjoy all things wonderful about St. Augustine. Marilyn and Anthony are wonderfully attentive, and were right on target with the tips they gave us regarding St. Augustine. I would highly recommend this inn, and I am sure I will be back.

I should also add that I stayed here with a coworker because we were in St. Augustine attending work-related training. We needed a few accommodations-mostly an alteration in the breakfast schedule and some dietary needs-that Marilyn and Anthony were able to work around without making us feel like we were trouble. I think this is a true sign of a good host/hostess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Swansboro, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Anthony and Marilyn made us welcome from the moment we arrived. The breakfasts were amazing and both hosts always made sure we were comfortable. The room was clean and quiet. The location of this B&B was so convenient to anything we wanted to do. We walked and biked everywhere we went during the week. We had such a good time, we actually extended our visit for an extra day. We are already planning another visit for the upcoming fall season.
Great B&B!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband rang the bell and were greated warmly by Marilyn. She lead us to the dining table where her husband Anthony checked us in and proceeded to map out the local restaurants and cant miss historic sites. They were both very friendly and down to earth. The house has a comfortable and inviting feel. We felt at home right away. We were then lead to our room "Serenity" which has a separate private bathroom. We felt very comfortable to come and go as we pleased and did so often. Every time we returned we were greeted by ice cold AC and a fresh baked treat on the hutch in the entry. They also provide a beer and wine social hour on Saturday evenings. Breakfast in the morning is at a reasonable hour for vacationers, not to mention delicious! I will be recommending Victorian House to everyone and we will be returning!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple