“A thief on the desk staff”

Casablanca Inn on the Bay
Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
melbourne fl
“A thief on the desk staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

We have stayed here several times and enjoyed it. Last time, (May 2-3 2008)my wife left her diamond earrings in the room after checkout. The housekeeper was nice and honest enough to turn them in to the desk. A clerk was nice and honest enough to call me and told me they were found, and someone would FedEx them to us at our expense, which was fine. Now, several weeks later, we don't have them, and have called and spoken to the manager MANY times. She makes the lamest excuses I've ever heard. Now the owner says "it's not their responsibility".
We will NEVER stay here again, and also wonder how safe our credit card info is...

• Liked — beauty, location, history
  • Disliked — dishonest person on staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank notfreqtraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife and I had stayed at the Casablanca B&B in 2004, so wanted to revisit St Augustine this year. In March 2004, we booked a stay for December 9, 2008. We had to cancel our reservation on April 28th and were advised there was a $25.00 cancellation/processing fee! We told the manager that the cancellation was made 6 months ahead of the booking!!! Watch out for this place, they appear to nickel and dime guests.

Stayed June 2004
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

So disappointed...All the charm has finally been drained from this B & B since it has been sold. I have stayed well over a dozen times through out the years. I would arrange my work schedule so that could spend the night in the area then started using it as my sanity retreat. There was no loud, rude bar, but there WAS a refrig. stocked with unlimited wine & soft drinks. Everyone was so personable! Once I brought my spouse to enjoy it while I went to work. I had to leave before breakfast and much to my surprise the girl that checked me in, packed me a 'to go' breakfast without me even asking! When I checked out she said my spouse had loved the cookies so much that since she had more in the ove she packed him some! It used to be like visiting an old friend that was polite enough to wait on you then leave you alone and let you relax.That has changed. It is VERY BUSINESS oriented now. It's all about the profits. The couple that had owned it previously made you felt like your enjoyment was 1st then profit. Yes, it is clean & lovely- what you might expect from the Omni or Westin.
Not what I go to a Bed & Breakfast for. No homey,comfortable feel any more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It felt like a hotel Nota Bed & Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SassyBritches
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

We booked two rooms at the Casblanca Inn; one in the main house and one in the coach house. The staff were all so friendly! There were fresh baked cookies in the lobby, and the main house had an attached wine bar which wrapped around the front porch directly across from Matanzas Bay. This was also where we had breakfast. The breakfast was great, service was quick and the view of course was the best in town! The rooms were spacious and bright, with jetted oversized tubs, thick robes, and sleep number beds. The rooms also had nice private balconies which we enjoyed in the evening. I have to say that this bed and breakfast was the most beautiful, cleanest, most well operated bed and breakfast I've ever stayed at. Absolutely everything was perfect and any time I return to St. Augustine I will only stay here!

• Liked — Everything was perfect
  • Disliked — No complaints whatsoever
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2008

If you ever went somewhere that you enjoyed so much, but did not want to tell anyone because the next time you wanted to go there you thought it would be booked solid because "the word got out" then this is the place. I am going to rate this place publically though, because I hope they get your business, and therefore still be there and with the same quality, when I want to go back .... and of course book way early. The following words apply: clean, comfortable, homey, spoil you, just the right size, close to everything, personable, affordable, a better experience than staying at just a motel.... and thank you for the memories my wife and I have because you exist.

• Liked — The accomidations (staff, clean, beautiful interior, food, furniture, view)
  • Disliked — closeness of a lot of traffic and with it traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband and I stay at the Casablanca every December for one weekend. We stay in the Celebration suite. We thoroughly enjoy the Inn and all the history surrounding it. The Christmas lights all over town really create a festive air.

We have one negative comment. This has always been a problem since the Martini Bar opened. As a guest you are given coupons for a few drinks at the bar. Whenever we try to redeem these we are met with very rude bartenders who basically ignore you until you either leave or get the management. When you pay almost $400.00 for a room you should expect quality service. We enjoyed the Inn much more without this rude, noisy bar.

• Liked — The room and the view
  • Disliked — The Bar
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank letsgoFlorida
staugustine,fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

i recently stayed two days at the casablanca inn on the bay in st. augustine, fl and it was a truly enjoyable experience. the inn is lovely, the rooms beautifully furnished, the staff very pleasant and the martini bar exceptional. the inn is within walking distance of all the historic sites, the shops and restaurants, and all other attractions. one of my most memorable stays anywhere!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo