“Disappointing”

Ranked #33 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
saint augustine
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

Me and my boyfriend are locals of St.Augustine and I have always wanted to stay at the Casablanca Inn, I have always passed it in my travels and was in there a few years ago and got showed around and I said I would definetly have to stay there one day. Well that day was on my birthday, and my boyfriend made reservations on a friday night and I saw the rooms online but the only one open was a room in the back that had just been remodled so there was no picture available, well of course I would think being all the other rooms looked very nice and quaint and CLEAN that this room would be no different. It was the Anastasia suite and it was terrible! It looked like it needed remodling if anything!! The room was so tiny, not a SUITE, you walked in and the walls were the ugliest brown color, everything was brown, like a mustard color, just very dim and depressing, the lamp shade was hanging off, picture crooked on wall, and not clean. The room was so tiny you felt like you could not move!!! I walked right out! Got offered a room in the coach house that was a cancellation and that was nicer, more romantic, CLEAN, but only 2 towels in the bathroom, small ones at that, average person especially woman use 2 towels! STINGY! And we had to pay $50.00 more for that room, should not of been charged that amount being the room was "false advertisement" and misleading, even w/o the picture available the website described it far from what we walked into. The new room we were in at the coach house was noisy, we were right on Charlotte street and you heard cars all night,people walking by,mainly drunks from the bars being loud, horrible! Than you get 2 free drink tickets at the BAR they have in this b&b and we waited 20 mintutes with one woman ran into me drunk ,and still did not get service! First of all, a bar should not be in a B&B, it takes away from the feel of the inn and not fair to the guest who are Paying high money to stay there. A lot of local people who were not staying there were drinking,etc. Trust me,its fine to drink when you are on vacation, but to walk into a bed and breakfast and have a bar off to the living room, that is not a b&b!!!! When I visited this Inn a few years ago, there was different owners an it was like being at home, very much professional,hospitality,quaintness and friendly staff, now its like checking into a hotel,no hospitatlity at all. When I went to c/o the next morning, a different young ladie asked about my night, and I told her , and she said next time you should put some money aside and save and than stay in a room looking at the bayfront b/c the room I originally had booked was the least expensive room1!!! what a thing to say to someone!!! The room was $220.00, um last time I checked that is a lot of money, and whether you stayin a less expensive room or not, all rooms should be nice and clean and advertised as they are!!!!
Very disappointing. Its ashame the new owners gave this up because when they left so did everything else of the CasaBlanca!

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — The staff, no hospitality,parking,room,no cleanliness, and mainly the bar w/drunks that weren't even paying to stay there.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sabrena96

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

Great room, fabulous location. Staff not always friendly and certainly not trust worthy. Breakfast is not the gourmet promised. Both bar and breakfast have newly trained staff who are overwhelmed. I would write more detail but do not want to identify myself. Something is not quite right with the place...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Untrustworthy staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda M
birmingham, al
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

Can't believe no one has mentioned that this hotel is one of "America's 10 most haunted hotels" by the Discovery channel. My husband and I went for a four night anniversary trip. The building and location is beautiful. The management and staff was NOT service oriented (especially considering the price @ almost $400 a night!) Wierd stuff started happening the first night we were there (like a light turning on and off - even after it was UNPLUGGED!) We sensed a presence of some sort in our room the entire stay. I didn't even want to take a bath in fear of someone/something watching. We were sleep deprived after the stay as we attempted to sleep w/our heads under our pillows so that we wouldn't hear the noises in the room and house. We had been asked to pay in advance ... now I know why...

• Liked — beautiful
  • Disliked — haunted!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
15 Thank akagirlstuff
Lousisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

This was our first visit to the Casablanca Inn on the Bay in Historic St. Augustine. It was all we expected and even more.
From the time we walked into the Inn, we felt a warm welcome... it brought memories back of visiting at Grandma's house. The front verandahs were so welcoming. The view was spectacular.
The front desk staff was very helpful from the time we arrived until the time we checked out. They were very informative on where to go, what to see, and where to eat. Our room was wonderful. We stayed in one of the Coach House rooms--upstairs. We sat on the porch that looks out to Historic Charlotte Street. The Sleep Number mattress was wonderful..we slept so good, we almost missed breakfast. Speaking of breakfast... it was Great!! The homemade peach muffin melted in your mouth.
The casserole was also delicious and more than enough to get us thru 'til lunch. We also enjoyed the "Tini Martini Bar". The chocolate martinis are to die for. We will definately be back to visit the Casablanca Inn.

• Liked — location and warm ,welcoming staff
  • Disliked — there wasn't anything I like least
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cpcajun
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

We booked this B&B online with [--] and received a confirmation number! When we arrived Hotel Casablanca had no rooms available and had not received my reservation. Another fellow traveler was standing there on the phone looking for a room because they booked a room from [--] Evidently Hotel Casablanca does not have an up-to-date technological association with these online services. If it were not for the Hilton, 2 doors up, we would have been stranded after driving 10 hours!

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank almom2
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

This is the first time we have stayed at a B & B and we loved the Casablanca Inn. It was so wonderful to start the day enjoying a leisurely breakfast on the front porch overlooking the bay. It was wonderful to end the day out on the porch as well, enjoying a glass of wine. The view can't be beat! Our room was great too! We definately plan on going back!

• Liked — Great front porch
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rat03
fort lauderdale, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2007

This Inn is FANTASTIC---we have now stayed there 3 times in the past year after having rediscovered St. Augustine as a great get-away from South Florida. Southwest Airlines had reviewed the Inn in one of the issues of Spirit Magazine and they were SO right about it.
The rooms are beautifully decorated---with amenities that rival any Ritz-Carlton!!!! Each one is different and I havent been able to decide which one I like best. The beds have Select Comfort mattresses which ARE the most comfortable (and expensive)---with dials on either side so I can have my side softer than my husband likes his. The rooms have flat screen TV's, DVD's and free movies which is nice for a quiet afternoon, particularly after walking around downtown St. Augustine--which is another reason we like the Inn. Its RIGHT downtown so you are in walking distance of the shops and restaurants.
We LOVED breakfast each morning on the veranda which overlooks the Bay. Its advertised as "gourmet"----and is---down to the Starbucks coffee. It is so relaxing to look out onto the water and watch the boat traffic and also watch the passers-by. And the staff didn't rush us---we spent time reading the newspaper or just talking.
But I have to say that one of our favorite parts about the Inn is the afternoon happy hour and the new bar that just opened---the "tini-martini" bar---the most wonderful martinis (I've forgotten how many diferent types) but also a great selection of wines at reasonable prices. They often have music so you can have a drink, go out to dinner and then return for a late night cocktail. The bar reminds us of a "mini" Oak Room Bar at the Plaza in NY.
This has become one of our FAVORITE places to go and unwind in the heart of St Augustine.

• Liked — the room---so beautifully decorated you dont want to leave
  • Disliked — I cant think of anything!!!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple