“Accomodated My Food Allergies Beautifully”

St. Francis Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Portland, OR
“Accomodated My Food Allergies Beautifully”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

When I called the Inn to make our reservation, I mentioned that I was sensitive to wheat and dairy--I did not expect them to make special considerations for me, but I didn't want them to count me was an eater when they determined how much bread or cheesy eggs they needed to make. I was pleasantly surprised when the Innkeeper on the other end of the phone said, "oh! sure! I will tell our chef, he knows all about that; is it celiac sprue you have?"

I do not have celiac, but am quite intolerant of wheat and dairy. That the Innkeeper knew knew what celiac was gave me peace of mind, that I might be able to eat at the Inn afterall!

My boyfriend an I arrived at the inn to delightful champagne and chocolates in our room. We we went to the dining area for Social Hour, the Innkeepers addressed us by name before bringing to our table a special dish of hummus (so, dairy free) and gluten free crackers. Later that night, the Innkeeper pointed out to me the dessert which wouldn't treat me badly. For breakfast, I could eat hard boiled eggs and cut fruit from their bountiful buffet--the highlight there, definitely, was the incredible fresh squeezed orange juice!!

Everything was delicious, but the real treat was feeling so taken care of. When you have to be so careful what you eat, traveling can be tricky business. Nothing makes me feel more wonderful than when someone feeds me safely.

Beyond the food, the accommodations were comfortable and beautiful, the Innkeepers helpful, the location convenient and the other other guests friendly!

1 Thank Hunymstard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
grand junction
Reviewed September 1, 2008

The St. Francis folks set us up at Harbor 26. The place was wonderful. It was clean and comfortable with a wonderful view of the harbor below our back deck. The St. Francis folks treated us like royalty, taking us on a ghost tour,a sailboat cruise into the Atlantic and a tour of downtown hot spots. We really enjoyed ourselves. We went to the B&B for social hour for drinks and a wonderful tiramasu dessert. The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. I would recommend the St. Francis Inn to anyone wanting to visit the oldest city in the United States.

• Liked — comfort, location and activities provided by the staff
  • Disliked — i have absolutely no complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tmtransport
Grandvalley
Reviewed August 31, 2008

We had a marvelous time in St. Augustine, FL. We stayed a week at Harbor 26. The sunrises and sunsets were breathtaking. The condo was immaculate. The local resturants were fabulous. We went to the St. Francis Inn for social hour, including drinks and dessert. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable about the area and went above and beyond in booking a fun filled week for us, including a ghost tour and a cruise on the Schooner Freedom to name a few. Everything is very close to the Inn. I would highly reccomend this establishment.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff!
  • Disliked — there was nothing we didn't like.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grandvalley
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Very friendly staff, awesome atmosphere. The breakfast was incredible. Rooms were very romantic and well decorated, and you get a complimentary bottle of sherry. Within walking distance to excellent dining.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I never understood why people bought time shares. To return each year to the same location seemed unimaginative and boring with so many places to see. Yet we found ourselves back in St. Francis Inn for the second year in a row – and we can’t imagine not coming back. The Inn feels like home, if at home a friendly staff served delicious breakfast every morning, had snacks, wine and beer waiting for us at happy hour and dessert laid out in the sitting room when we returned from dinner. Sharing these times with the eclectic group of fellow visitors added to the experience.

Sherry, mints and sparkling wine were waiting in our antiques furnished room., plus a CD of piano love songs to celebrate our anniversary. We were lucky enough to be greeted by Zeke, the resident cat (after a little persuasion).The trolley stops a block away and we left our car in the parking lot (a rare thing in St. Augustine). We covered sights we missed the last trip and have more to go. If you need a fresh getaway again and again, this is the place. You’ll run into many repeat visitors. You can’t get a better recommendation than that.

• Liked — The beautiful, historic inn.
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank AnhingaFlorida
Irmo
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We just enjoyed a family retreat at the St. Francis Inn. Once again, this bed and breakfast was absolutely wonderful. The Saffrons Suite was the most comfortable suite you could ever imagine for three people to share. It is beautifully decorated and the largest that we had ever seen. Even Sully our cock-a poo enjoyed the amenities. Our son enjoyed the Graham room and felt that it was very comfortable for an excellent price. The breakfasts were yummy and bountiful, the social hour was very enjoyable, and the desserts were sinful! Lastly, the staff members really make this a great place to stay. Everyone was warm, friendly, and took care of our every request. Our family will continue to recommend the St. Francis Inn to others and we will be back!

• Liked — Food, location, amenities, staff
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Largo, FL
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My husband & I were looking for a nice weekend away and we found it at the St. Francis! Perfect hospitality, wonderful room (we stayed in the Saffron Suite!), nice bedding, great A/C, all the amenities you could want. The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated with all the extras you could need. (Two TV's, DVD, Internet connections, microwave, fridge, unlimited tea, water, etc.)The staff went out of their way to make the stay wonderful. The breakfasts are superb with many options where to eat them! The cocktail hour and dessert hour are a wonderful touch. The Inn is a short walk to everything and we parked the car safely Friday morning and didn't move it until Sunday afternoon. You can easily walk to museums, shopping, eateries, etc. We used the bikes to ride to St. Augustine Beach and enjoy the Lighthouse tour (both complimentary with your stay!) and enjoyed lunch at The Gypsy Taxi Company (you will not be disappointed with the Cuban Wrap!!). While my husband napped, I was able to enjoy the pool and some sun. We returned home relaxed and rejuvenated!!

• Liked — Privacy and peaceful setting.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
2 Thank TravellingRNLargo_FL