“Great stay at a lovely place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Francis Inn Bed and Breakfast

St. Francis Inn Bed and Breakfast
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay at a lovely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I would just like to thank you for the most lovely stay at your hotel.

WE were there Monday thru Wednesday this week, wished we had stayed longer.

Everything was perfect. We stayed in the Graham Room and although I had my reservations about the bathroom along the hall it was fine.

Can I just ask you, I know that there is take of ghosts in St Augustine and indeed your hotel but I did not give it much thought.

But on Monday night I was awoken and a man and woman were standing in the room she was in a long grayish colored bonnet and coat and the guy was in black with a black hat and red stripe.

Was I dreaming or do these sound like ghost that haunt your hotel.

Needless to say we will be back, because we had such a nice time and you and your staff were so friendly

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brighton556

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

A great, eclectic yet elegant Inn on St. george Street. Close enough to everything, yet just a few blocks back to make you feel "removed" from the tourists. The clip-clop of carriages is the only sounds you'll hear.

Great atmosphere and accommodations!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Recently visited this bed and breakfast in St. Augustine on Labor Day Weekend. After deciding at the last minute to go for two days to St. Augustine I managed to score "The Cottage" at St. Francis Inn. This was the cutest little place I've seen in awhile!. Spotless in every nook and cranny, the servers and workers extremely helpful and pleasant and went out of their way to make us welcome. We took our Pitbull terrier with us and they graciously accepted her with open arms. The food they serve would embarass the high end restaurants, it was top notch. They have a happy hour where they serve the local wines from the St. Augustine winery along with other brands. The deserts were scrumptious and they have so many other amenities. There were five of us in our party and they did nothing but make us feel welcome. The homemade snickerdoodles were a plus too. Unlimited coffee, tea and soft drinks, quiet and quaint, truly a gem of an Inn. I highly recommend this to anyone, especially those who have never tried a B & B, this will change your mind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked our stay to be convenient to my daughter's wedding/reception venue. It turned out to be the best place I have stayed at. The Inn itself was fantastic -- the rooms, the grounds and courtyard. And free parking which is a godsend in St. Augistine. And the staff -- what can I say - were very accommodating, polite, outgoing, engaging - fantastic hosts. They made us feel like we were staying with friends. The breakfasts were great -- the Mexican lattes, mimosas - all with great food. The evening social hour and dessert hour allowed us to meet others from the U. S. and the world. Overall, it was a fantastic trip made possible by our friends at the Inn. Thank you.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are on the smallish side but more than adequate for a couple -- and the furnishing...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cooper City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The St. Francis Inn is located in a convenient area of St. Augustine within walking distance of many restaurants. The inn is also close to a stop for sightseeing tours. The inn itself is wonderful. Beautiful grounds, gorgeous rooms. The staff is very, very accommodating, and the breakfast is great. The evening social hour is well stocked with finger-food, munchies, beer, wine and soda. My wife and I stayed in the Garden Hideaway, which I highly recommend. You are part of the inn, but you have some nice privacy at the back of the court yard. This is our second visit and we would go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Spring City, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this b&b and had a wonderful time. Stayed in Maria's room. The shower was a little small, but the bed was very comfortable. The staff were great and the breakfast was yummy. The pinapple ham on Sat. morning was delish! Parking was just across the street, which was great. You didn't have to walk 2 blocks to get to your car! It was very peaceful and quiet. The courtyard was the ideal place to sit and read a book. Will stay there again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Summerville, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

All was good, but not excellent as the price would indicate. Breakfast, Social hour and desert was average but not excellent. Only issue with the Social Hour was if you were not the first to get there, they ran out and would not bring anything else out. IE: meat /cheese platter, (10 pieces of cheese, maybe 15 pieces of meat for 20 quests). Rooms were clean. Plenty of bikes to get around town on, but badly need to be replaced. No need to drive anywhere, everything in walking distance or riding distance. It was nice to say our car stayed parked.
I would not go back to the inn for the simple reason, I thought it was overpriced and not enough attention was given for the money that was paid. Once again, it was a nice stay, but not an excellent stay and for the money, we should have had both. For instance: Old-broken bikes, Espresso machine out for repair, (using a homeowner “type”) the platters served during the Social and the desert issue I had.
The beach was great and having a place to shower, grab some chairs & water made it super. I just wished they had some umbrellas. There is a place to grab lunch for less than $10 a person, so no need to spurge on a $59 picnic basket, (which was really a shopping bag).
Tours: Go on your own, it’s a lot cheaper than with the inn.
Couples Message: Not a couples message, its two hours and only one person at a time—
We stayed in the "Ms Emily Room" Very clean, however the room entirely too small for the price paid...—had I known how small it was, we would have stayed at a Hotel (same price for a 5 start down town…we checked)
Staff was great. However, there were two notable things that I would not expect to be an issue / concern. Bottom line is somebody needs to explain to the staff, for the prices being charged, expectations are going to be high.
1. One night we got back after desert time and my wife requested a slice of cake. Tracy informed her that desert time was over and acted like we were out of line for even asking. I felt like a beggar and for $250 a night I was just a little pissed.... especially since we were told if we came in late, just ask and they can get it for you. (In fact, we were informed coming in later was to be expected-and no additional effort would be needed from the staff because the cake was already made, sliced and on plates)
2. I witnessed a Hispanic guest (Hence I believe was the issue) with her "biker husband” “very nice couple" ordered a Latte in the morning, right after I was served my second. The lady told her the machine was broke, instead of saying “I don’t feel like making another”. I felt bad and gave the lady mine. The machine was not broken; I know that for a fact. I mentioned it to the lead person the next morning. She apologized and had a ton of excuses (which I really didn’t care to hear because it did not concern me). All I can say is that they need to be thankful that woman was not my wife.

Room Tip: Don't choose Miss Emily Room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David S
OfficeMax, Owner at St. Francis Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and that you had so many unpleasant experiences during your recent visit. I would like address some of them....The complimentary evening social last Sunday night included an antipasto tray with 1 lb of cheese cut into 120 small cubes, 40 slices of pepperoni, 40 slices of salami, 36 slices of ham, olives, peppers etc. There were also 5 loafs of Italian bread cut in pieces , olive oil and vinegar and a large veggie tray along with complimentary beer and wine.
We now serve our "picnic basket" in an insulated bag with the Inn's logo prominently displayed which retails for $8.95. This is much more suitable for carrying a picnic and keeping it cool.
We do not advertise "couples" massages. We advertise two 60 minute in-room massages and we explain to guests who express interest how this works.
Our complimentary bikes are all in very good working order, although some may look old. We have a maintenance contract with a local bike repair service and they come every week to check/maintain our bikes.
I could continue to respond to each of your issues, but the comment that concerns me the most is the one that implies that we did not serve a guest a complimentary Latte because she was Hispanic. This is incorrect. The" loaner" machine was inadequate to keep up with the requests (you and your wife order 3 comp Lattes) we received that morning and simply stopped working. No other guests received Lattes after this happened not just this Hispanic guest.
As for value, our room rates are very fair, since we provide so many extras (see "FREE Guest Amenities page on our web site).....all complimentary. We do not "nickel and dime" our guests with extra fees.
Joe