“Best Birthday Brunch Ever!”
Review of Bistro de Leon - CLOSED

Bistro de Leon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Best Birthday Brunch Ever!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We came here for brunch & the chef made me a wonderful egg white with goat cheese and onions. This dish was not on the menu but it was superb. The service was great! I highly recommend this cafe for breakfast, brunch or lunch. :-)

Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Great Early Bird”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The early Bird menu is a great value. It even comes with a glass of wine. The restaurant is small and cosy, excellent service. Downtown and close to everthing. It's a short walk from the B&B that we were staying at. You won't get a bad meal there and you can't beat the early bird deals.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Carole56
Tampa, Florida
“Manific!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Thank you for making our honeymoon culinary experience one to remember. Authentic French cuisine and Atmosphere at it’s best!! I have been to France twice and the French Onion Soup here is the best I have ever had. We ate here the first night we were in town and loved it so much ended up back the second night as well. Service/Staff are helpful and friendly and sensitive to my questions regarding ingredients (the waitress asked about allergies when I started asking questions). By the way, the ingredients are very fresh and the flavors layered. Portions are generous. Meal started out amuse-bouche ( a tease of the mouth very flavorful.) First night I had the leg of lamb with a gratin potatoes OMG!!! My Husband had the rabbit foie gras as an appetizer (special of the day) and the Duck for dinner, I liked the duck so much I ordered it the second night. He had the Casserole du pecheur(St. Augustine BOUILLABAISSE) was not disappointed. We will be Back!!!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Deborah N
Fleming Island, Florida
“Almost Perfect!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Pros:
Delicious beef, wonderfully cooked & seasoned.
Bread, pastries & deserts -to die for!
Service was very good.

Cons:
Very small space, intimate perhaps -just NO privacy.
Decor could use some refreshing! (Too bad the rest of the restaraunt wasn't as appealing as the lady's room).

• Visited September 2012
Sarasota, FL USA
“What A Letdown!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Based on all the favorable reviews I read on TripAdvisor, I expected more from Bistro de Leon than what we got. No one in my party of four was thrilled with anything but dessert.
The vaunted French Onion Soup was indeed a large bowl, but that bowl was completely filled with bread croutons, leaving not much room for the soup. It was frustrating and annoying to have to push the bread back and forth to squeeze out spoons of soup and some onions.
Part of the 'slow service' that some people mention (which reflects the kitchen, not the servers, who were a friendly, responsive bunch of gals) is that all the main dishes were overcooked. Also, the cooking reflects a lack of balance. Too much bread; too much cheese; too much gravy. My duck breast, ordered med. rare-to-rare, arrived medium, SWIMMING in too much gravy. My husband's seafood risotto suffered from overcooked fish and mussels and too much cheese, making it too rich-tasting and hard to eat much of. My friend's quenelle had been overcooked in the oven, the quenelle dry and the sauce reduced to the point of being crusty. Only the 7-hour lamb, a dish that is supposed to be overcooked, arrived properly cooked, accompanied by a generous casserole of over-cheesy potatoes au gratin. My friend loved the first taste, and the second, but was then offering it to everyone else, because it was apparently richer-tasting than she could handle. Again, the dish was unbalanced by too much cheese.
Dessert and coffee were excellent, however. Everyone ordered fruit tarts, either raspberry or blueberry (there were also other choices) which looked gorgeous in the case and did not disappoint. The fruits were fresh; the pastry cream was light and velvety and the crust was flaky-delicious, like a sugar cookie. Our cappuccinos were also wonderful, made with Illy coffee, a high quality brand.
Overall, the meal should have been better, because the ingredients were good and the portion size was generous. I think the chef should re-think the balance in his food. Too much of anything -- cheese, gravy, croutons in the soup, time in the oven -- is a negative.

• Visited August 2012