“Was interesting”

and up
Discover St Augustine: Attractions Pass with Hop-On Hop-Off
Ranked #15 of 189 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Chicago publisher Otto C. Lightner opened this museum which features items of Victoriana, as well as a stained glass room by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Since the owners friend highly endorsed the Lightner Museum in her review of my business, I figured, I would check it out for myself. An amazing collection for sure.

There are newer reviews for The Lightner Museum

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were fortunate enough to be treated to a demonstration of the early musical instruments. The young man that demonstrated was clear, concise and informative along with a bit of humor. Could spend lots of time there to see it all.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

It was supposed to be a rainy afternoon, so I thought this would fill my time.It was an extremely interesting group of collections, and one of my favorite places in St. Augustine. I even learned that a glass bowl I had from my grandmother was an example of American brilliant cut glass. Very well worth your time if you enjoy unusual collections. I spent about 2 hours, and enjoyed the musical instrument demonstration at 2 pm.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Don't waste your time or money. Too much else to see in St Augustine...The $25.00 admission was a ripoff. We found other things that were much more interesting for free. Our son, 12, was so bored he couldn't wait to leave making the experience even worse..

2  Thank Stephanie C
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The story of the Lightner museum is interesting all by itself. Again, to please the upper 1% (or maybe 5%) the original hotel had everything. As recommended, we started with the third floor ballroom from which we could look down on what had once been the swimming pool. (women allowed at the shallow end only.) Now it is the Alcazar cafe where we had lunch. (Our ticket to the museum got us a 10% discount.)

The museum's collection is very eclectic, apparently made up of collections the rich guys had accumulated. (I heard one lady at the check out counter in the gift shop say that there are rooms full of all kinds of things -- one room filled with salt and pepper shakers, for example.)

I liked that the collection was eclectic as I enjoyed imagining life for the very wealthy of that time. I understand some people don't like such eclecticism. To each his own.

I also understand that the demonstration of old music makers is very popular. We certainly enjoyed it.

1  Thank Mona A