“Second Christmas to Choose Red Train - Good Choice!”
Review of Red Train Tours

Red Train Tours
Ranked #10 of 119 Tours in St. Augustine
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Enjoy more options at a better price than anywhere else in St. Augustine! We offer one day, three day and five day passes and have recently added a "Once around" tour if you are pressed for time. We offer an award-winning 80 – 90 minute, fully narrated historical tour of the Nation’s Oldest City. Our “open-air” Sightseeing Trains cover over 7 miles and visit dozens of historic sites. Our Sightseeing Train tours begin every 20 minutes beginning at 8:30 am. Guests may get on and off at over 20 locations and enjoy free parking at our Ripley owned ticket locations. All guests receive free on-demand shuttle service to and from area hotels, free shuttle service to the Alligator Farm and the St. Augustine Lighthouse with tickets, and $1 passes to “Bayfront Mini-Golf”.
Clearwater, FL
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Second Christmas to Choose Red Train - Good Choice!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Two senior citizens returning to St. Augustine for the second year to enjoy the Night of Lights. We chanced upon the Red Train the year before and had a great time on their nighttime train ride through the lights (even without children). So we went again this year and had a second merry time. The atmosphere is so much fun - singing Christmas carols all along the way and exchanging Christmas greetings with others along the way. This year, Santa was added to the merriment at the Ripley's where the tour begins as well as "snow", marshmallows, and outdoor movies on a beautiful night. We purchased a combination ticket earlier in the day that also provided us transportation throughout the city during the daytime hours. What a convenience since driving a car and parking in St. Augustine is nearly impossible! The Red Train has many stops. You get on and off as you want to. When ready to get another train to your next stop, there is never a very long wait. We even took the train out to the Fountain of Youth. All drivers were very cordial and helpful. The driver of our nighttime train ride through the lights was incredibly good - really made it fun. Hint: get in line for the nightime train tour at Ripley's Museum a little before the first train is scheduled to leave for the night (6:00 p.m. when we were there) and your wait won't be very long. We got there about 5:45 p.m. and we waited about half an hour to get our train ride, but again, there was a lot going on to keep us (and children) entertained. When we returned after our ride, the line to wait for a train ride through the lights had already grown long.

Visited December 2013
Kimberly K, General Manager at Red Train Tours, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you so much for chosing the Red Trains not only once, but twice! As a mom, I know how difficult it can be to wait in line with children so we do try to have as much activity as possible in the lines so that the wait is easier. We are so glad that you enjoyed the tour. Thank you for chosing the trains, and for writing such a wonderful review!

Palm Coast, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nights of Lights!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We had planned on going on the other trolley but after finding out the wait was over 3 hrs (in line with 3 children and 2 handicap people this out of the question) We decided to go on this trolley instead. I have to say I loved it the kids loved we all loved it. The wait who knew kept us all entertained with movie, Santa, snow machine, someone making balloon animals and chairs for the handicap people (or others). The ride was wonderful lights where great! We will be adding this ride for our annual Holiday Trip!!
Thank you for giving us an awesome time!!

Visited December 2013
Kimberly K, General Manager at Red Train Tours, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking our Nights of Lights tour and for posting such a wonderful review. As a parent, I know that there is nothing fun about waiting in line with children. I am so glad that you enjoyed all of the activities that we provided to keep the line entertaining. We also tried to move people very quickly to minimize the wait. Thank you so much for riding with us and for posting such a wonderful review. Merry Christmas!
Apex, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pure torture”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We love St Augustine. It's one of our favorite cities to visit anywhere. So when we hear about a special "Light Exhibit - Night of Lights?", we made a special detour on our way back from FL to stop and see the lights. Sure enough the city is really nicely decorated, but we hear about this trolley tour with special '3D' glasses to see the lights, so we figured why not. We'd seen several of these trolleys going by already with the passengers yelling and sounding like they were having fun.
Here are the facts, they don't tell you how long it will take to get onto a trolley. The girl at the desk said they were moving quickly and were coming around every 15 min or less. She really had no clue. Her only purpose is to get your money and get you line, since once you're in line, you're pretty much stuck there. The woman in line was nice, handing out candy canes and small light up bracelets. At least 4 trolleys passed us by to pick up reserved groups, but we finally got onboard. That's ok. I'm a patient guy. But it's nice to know what to expect.
This is when things went downhill. The trolley blares Christmas music at levels that completely distort the music. The driver tries to get you in the Christmas spirit by yelling at other trolley, or people on the street, but in reality I think this is just to try and attract more business. What really killed me was the music. I enjoy Christmas music as much as the next person, but when it's so loud that the cheap speakers rattle and distort any sound coming out of the speaker, it's turned up too much.
My wife and I were just waiting for it to be over. Even my 8 year old didn't enjoy it, and I'll deal with a lot as long as she's having fun.
When the tour was over my wife talked to two of the organizers. They politely listened, but didn't offer any compensation. The woman asked if we saw the lights during the tour, which seemed like a silly question, and simply poor customer service.
Save your money and take one of the other tour services. If you can afford it, the carriage rides are great.

2 Thank John_in_Apex
Brooksville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Red Train Tour Disaster”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We are 3 seniors who booked the train tour on Friday the day after Thanksgiving. I was told the train operated every 20 minutes. I was also told they provide pick-up at the motel we were staying at. Upon calling for a pickup they said it would be at least an hours wait and we would be better off driving to the tour. So we drove over and paid for 3 tickets. The train came and we got on but unfortunately we were told that the 20 minute wait if we got off at a stop was much longer could be up to 45 minutes. If we did that we wouldnt have made a train to go back before they end for the day. I feel that I threw away my money as we took the ride around and then just got off and into our car. Satisfaction is supposedly 100% so I am hopeful I will get my money back once they read this.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank jamrag
I am so sorry, and you are totally correct. We had a very bad day that day. We did have an incident (that we were not at fault in) that took one of our trains off the road. Between that and the horrible traffic, it took us much longer than we would have liked to get things back on schedule. n holiday weekends, sometimes the streets get crazy and we move the very best that we can. We failed, obviously, where you were concerned and for this I feel horribly. Of course we will gladly issue a refund, but you will have to contact us to do so as Trip Advisor will not allow me to put contact information on posts. Thank you and my deepest apologies.
Tampa, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Group of 25 enjoying the city”
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Group of 25 friends from Tampa in town for 3 days to tour the city. Pre-arranged, at a great price, a 3 day pass and a Nights of Lights tour and working with Jodi and Melissa was a pleasure. Had a great beginning with a private reserved ride for the Nights of Lights tour. Our driver/guide was GREAT! Have used the other tour trolley company in the past - this one is just as good but more FUN.

Visited December 2013
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review. We are so glad that you and your group enjoyed the tour as well as the service provided by Jodi and Melisa. We strive to make our guests have as much fun on our tours as we have giving them! Thank you!

Been to Red Train Tours? Share your experiences!