“Great View and History”

St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A visit to the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum is more than you might expect! Climb 219 steps for a breathtaking view of both St. Aug and the beaches. Or go below to discover object from a British shipwreck. Take free with admission guided tours at 11 am, 12 noon, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm. Or come early at 9 am to beat the heat. Late in the day is also cooler and we are open all summer until 7 pm. Families can enjoy a self guided tour that includes a shipyard playground and a short nature trail. A small-craft boat building exhibition is on site, and you can see archaeologists at work on objects from under the sea. In the keepers' house see "At Home with the Harns in Post Civil War Household," which tells the story of Major William Harn who was at both Ft Sumter and Gettysburg as an artillery commander. He and his family lived as lighthouse keepers for 20 years after the war. Also climb aboard the sandbar in WRECKED! an exhibition about a 1782 British shipwreck following the American Revolution. Our Archaeologists have discovered this story just for you. Visitors can also encounter ghosts and spirits on the nighttime, Dark of the Moon tour, which is the only St. Augustine ghost tour that gets you inside the Lighthouse tower. Book this tour in advance because it fills up fast. And book mid-week to avoid the crowds. For general admission purchase your tickets on-line in advance w/coupon code LH15 to get a 15% discount off regular admission prices. Or join on the porch with a family membership for discounts to local attractions, and 20% off in the Museum shop as well as free admission all year long. There is always more to come at the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Marietta, Georgia
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Great View and History”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The view from the top of the light house was amazing but I'm not sure it was worth the price we paid to enter the grounds. You can't get close to the light house without paying $10. There is not much to do here other than climb the light house (200+ steps) and read about the history in the museum. If the view wasn't so good, I would only rate this attraction as average.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Dark of the Moon”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

What an awesome tour!! Very professionally done (no costumes or fake scares). I would 100% recommend the EMF detector (about 5 dollars to rent). You get a tour that lasts about an hour/hour and a half that ends with a walk up the lighthouse. Then for the next hour/hour and a half you are free to roam and explore on your own. You can take as many pictures as you want (they recommend it) I would also bring a digital recorder (if you're into EVP's). Very good tour. Worth the money.

1 Thank akgrl333
Jacksonville, Florida
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Nice view from the top”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

A nice light house to visit. It was made famous by "the Ghost Hunters" TV show. One can see the surrounding area from the top of the light house. And if you are lucky, you might bump into the residence ghost. There is also a museum and a gift shop.

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had a few hours in St. Augustine on the way to Orlando and decided I'd check out the lighthouse. It very much reminds me of the Hatteras lighthouse in the Outer Banks, but there are not quite as many steps to climb. The parking is free, but the cost to see/climb the lighthouse is $10, which I thought was a little high. View from the top was gorgeous, but be prepared for the wind, of course.

1 Thank Emily E
Knoxville, Tennessee
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“In my opinion, the lighthouse and grounds need some serious TLC!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Ok, we had just been to Tybee Island lighthouse (which was impeccable, i might add) so I figured we'd come see this one as well...I guess maybe I expected too much. It just seemed to me that they are more worried about the sales in their gift shop then taking care of the grounds and exterior of the lighthouse. The grounds seemed dilapidated and just in attended, and the lighthouse itself could have used a good cleaning or a new paint job. We climbed up to the top and the man (worker) that was up there was great, even took some pics for us, it was a great view as well! I'd love to see the lighthouse and grounds get the care it deserves!

Visited March 2013
sleecjr, Manager at St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience during your visit. This past year we experienced the first mold bloom on the north side of the tower that we had seen in six years. You are right in that it made the tower look dilapidated. It was cleaned just before Easter and the tower is sparkling clean again. We also did a sidewalk improvement at the base of the tower to widen the walking area, and that, along with an infestation of mole crickets destroyed the lawn. We have completed treating the infestation, and sod is being delivered in a couple of weeks. We just completed painting the entire exterior of the Keepers’ House.
Unfortunately, I believe you visited during the height of these issues which led to your less than positive impression. In the world of historic preservation, the “preservation” part is on-going and very challenging. Our lighthouse is known as one of the premier lighthouses in the U.S. I hope you will visit again in future and give us another chance.