“Dead Walk with Gordon”
Review of GhoSt Augustine

GhoSt Augustine
Ranked #15 of 121 Tours in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Enter real haunted buildings and experience the real thing on our authentic non-theatrical ghost tours and paranormal investigations as well as the Original Haunted Pub Tour of St. Augustine. We offer walking and riding tours. Riding tours go out in our comfortable 14 passenger van "the Shadow Shuttle" or in our creepy haunted Hearse. List of tours: Everdark Express, Dead Walk, Haunted St. Augustine Paranormal Investigation, Total Paranormal St. Augustine, the Pub Hearse Ride, the Original Haunted Pub Tour and ParaForce Investigations. GhoSt Augustine and its team has been featured on several TV shows; among others are My Ghost Story and Americas Most Scary Places. GhoSt Augustine also sells Ghost Hunters Equipment and it was our owner Jonas who saved the famous K2 meter from being taken out of production in 2004 and making it a staple must have piece of gear in every Ghost Hunters bag. GhoSt Augustine has a sister business called Beerhammer's. It is a Beer Gear & Gift store and tickets are sold and start from the store at 162 St. George Street - inside Heritage Walk - downtown historic St. Augustine. Tours also depart from GhoSt Augustine store at 123 St. George St. GhoSt Augustine, was founded in 2001 and is a Better Business Bureau member with A+ rating.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We went on this tour after running into Gordon outside their shop. He was pushing for the paranormal tour, but I'm more into the ghost tours than my friend and that one was a little pricey. We ended up asking which one he'd be leading that night, and it was the Dead walk, so we went. His personality (and the mustache) are awesome. It was a good tour, he was very knowledgeable on the history of the sites we visited. I appreciated it from the get go, but my friend didn't realize how good it was until we went on one of the theatrical tours. Got a bunch of orbs in pictures, too. I even took multiple pictures to make sure it wasn't dust on my lens. Still don't know if I believe they are ghosts...

8  Thank Kristin A
Jonas B, Owner at GhoSt Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you very much for leaving a review for us. Since we got some reviews below that asked our guides to incorporate more history on the Dead Walk,we made sure the guides did so. It is a ghostly tour but of course history is part of the hauntings in our 443 year old city.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

So-so ghost tour. We went on the last tour of the day - visited alot of sights around St. Augustine (this tour is all on foot). Guide did not seem very experienced and we found out later on our vacation that alot of the information was not accurate - well...it is a ghost tour though I suppose. it was pretty neat seeing the sights at night - but, I'm guessing that's the same with just about any ghost tour. We were actually relieved once the tour was over - didn't find it all that great.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We took the "investigative tour" around Sept 2012, with my family. It was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS. The guide (who I believe is also an elementary school teacher) spoke well, knew the history and the stories. She was obviously very interested in the topic because she took the time to look over people's photos that we had just taken and shared many of her own. We have been excited to return. ( we live in Orlando and just drive up and back).

This past weekend we had a free Saturday evening and I booked online. It was MY MISTAKE, but I purchased tickets for the Ghost Walk. ( I thought that was what we had done before--but I was wrong). The young man that guided the tour was NOT good and told us that he was new giving this tour. He does not speak well and was difficult to hear. His stories jumped around and were difficult to follow. He didn't seem to express any interest an interest in the subject matter and seemed to just want to hurry and get finished with the tour. He mentioned he was new to the area, so didn't have any personal experiences to share with the group. Much of the time on the tour was spent WAITING. The guide would pick an area to speak and stand in the middle of the road, so of course when he would see a car coming, he would stop and we would all wait...and wait...and wait. The tour was so bad, that we seriously considered just leaving... This tour did not include the EMF meters or the thermal guns. Again, my fault, I scheduled the tour from my smartphone and picked the wrong tour.
I feel bad giving this tour just an average rating. My first experience was so great, and the second experience was worse very poor, so average it is.

I HIGHLY recommend the "Investigative Tour" . You will not be disappointed !! However, skip/avoid the "Dead Walk" at all costs. Big waste of time.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently went on this tour after checking out a few other ghost tours in the area. I chose this company because I didn't want to just go on a "story-telling" walk, I actually wanted to do some ghost hunting (I'm a huge fan of Ghost Hunters like TAPS and have always wanted to do it). This company was the only one that offered real equipment to use as well as some free time at the locations to investigate. Our tourguide, Shelby, was awesome. She was a history major at the college and you could definitely tell that she wasn't just doing this for a paycheck. She really knew her stuff and seemed to really enjoy doing the tours and sharing her personal experiences. We visited several different sites where she let us explore and use our equipment/take photos. We definitely found some activity that we wouldn't have known about if we hadn't had the equipment (a ghost they call James in the first cemetery came out to play, sitting on the tree limb above us so that the temp. gauges read 32 degrees instead of the normal base reading of 49-51, while also setting off our EMF detectors when Shelby asked him to, saying that he liked to play with the lights). Visiting the Fort at night was also a special treat and extra creepy. The tour itself lasted a little over two hours, we had a good group and were getting some activity. All in all, we had a great time on this tour. This is a walking tour, however, so people unable to stand/walk for long periods might not want to go on this tour. Nothing about it was strenuous, but you are walking through the cobblestone streets/fort for a couple of hours, so wear comfortable shoes (i.e. not high heels). Also, use the restroom first, because there are no other opportunities while on the tour. My boyfriend, also a history buff, got to quiz Shelby about her knowledge of St.Augustine, and I got to indulge in a little ghost hunting. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants more than just a ghost-story ride in a hearse, or some lady walking around with a lantern. Request Shelby if you can! She's fantastic!

5  Thank illusoryme
Reviewed January 20, 2013

After reading all of the positve comments from Tripadvisor we decided to book the "dead walk" tour which took us to the Olde town part of the City. The guide seemd to be inexperienced with St.Augustine (he recentley moved to the city in September). About ten minutes into the tour if felt like we had made a mistake. The stories seemed a little disjointed and not authentic (I know, what would you expect with a ghost tour). There seemed to be a lot walking time with very little explanation of the history of the the area we were exploring. St Augustine is a wonderful city with a lot of interesting history. I was reallly looking forward to this tour. Unfortunately, I was very disapointed in the quality. This may have been a fluke and dependent on the guide.

3  Thank Steven W
Jonas B, Owner at GhoSt Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your feedback. The guide you had is a brand new guide (we only have one male guide for that tour, so that is how I know who it was). Apparently he did not do too well on his premiere night. Perhaps, stage freight. Regardless, we appreciate your honest review and will remove him from the tours. As always, we are glad to transfer a guest to another one of our tours that might be better meeting specific expectations.

Been to GhoSt Augustine? Share your experiences!