“Nice location, friendly staff!”

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
New Jersey
“Nice location, friendly staff!”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I went in March 2007 however we were told by staff that the cheapest time to go is from June to August. From minute one, the staff was helpful and friendly. We stayed in a newly renovated suite (free upgrade) and did the girls Spajama package. Spa services were excellent! The spa is due for and in the planning stages of renovation, but the rest of the resort appears to have already been renovated beautifully. You were distracted from the fact that the spa needed renovation by the kind and friendly staff and friendly local spa members. Take one of the free resort bikes for a ride to nearby parks. Food was excellent at the resort and in walking distance from it. Green Springs was a great little place to get dinner and Crispers was great for a light lunch!

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank jbann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
seminole, florida
Reviewed March 9, 2007

I recently booked a spa day at the Safety Harbor Resort's well-advertised spa. Since it comes up on so many "Top Florida Spa" lists, and I live fairly close, I thought I'd give it a try. I did not stay at the hotel, so if you're looking for a room review, this won't be one.

First of all, I have been to quite a few spas over the past few years - some luxurious and awesome, others barely more than a hair salon - so I try to do my research before I book. The only thing I can think with regard to Safety Harbor Spa is either that they paid to be put on the "Top" lists, or the criteria for being listed doesn't weigh heavily on the the facilities.

When I checked in, I was shown to my locker and on the way the attendant pointed to a crowded hair salon as the "waiting area" where I'd need to sit to be called for my facial. One quick glance was all I needed to see that the hair salon was full of normally dressed men and women! My anxiety started to build as we entered a keyed door into a hallway with some uncomfortable looking chairs where a man was sitting in his robe. Awkward! She pointed to a small counter that had a concentrated juice machine, a coffee machine, and a basket of apples. This was the refreshment area. Not relaxing, not healthful, not appetizing at all!

When we arrived at my locker, she handed me a key with a dirty rubber band attached to it (I guess I was supposed to wear it around my wrist), and then she left. There was a robe folded up inside the locker, but no sandals. It wasn't until after I started hunting for a dressing room that I saw a basket of messily unarranged flip-flops. I headed over to grab a pair, and all I can say is Thank, God I turned my head to the left where I saw another basket of wrapped flip flops hiding behind a bench!

Once I was in my robe, I decided to search around the place, maybe find a good magazine before having to head into the hair salon feeling very underdressed. In my search, I found another waiting room - nice and quiet, with a couple of loveseats, soft music, some pitchers of water. Now, why didn't the attendant show me this place? It wasn't by any means luxurious, but at least it was more "spa-like," so I decided to grab a magazine and wait there instead of the salon. The only magazines, unfortunately, were Ranger Rick (no, I'm not kidding), American Scientific, and some other boring, non-womanly one. What the heck!

Proceeding back out of that room in search for a decent magazine, I noticed a sign "All Facial, Manicure & Pedicure Appts. MUST wait in the hair salon." I guess the cushy, private waiting room is just too far for the technicians to walk, so it seemed that the hair salon was going to be my robe-clad destiny whether I liked it or not.

The facial - The 60 min. Elemental Facial - was a nice treatment. If only it had taken place in a quiet room! I kid you not, I could hear the conversation of three men almost verbatim, as well as doors slamming, the entire time of my service. It was a ridiculously, non-relaxing experience.

Because I was so unsatisfied with the facial, I decided to impulsively book a massage, now knowing that at least that treatment would take place in the quieter section of the spa. I'm glad I did because it was the only thing that saved the day. I had the Elemental Massage with Nancy C. and it was really, really awesome. The room, unfortunately, was only half-walled (like a cubicle), so in the very beginning I could hear the client next door talking to her technician. Fortunately, their conversation only lasted a few minutes.

Bottom line, this spa needs a complete remodel. But even without that, better management could certainly change the waiting room and the poor, poor magazine selection. (By the way, I found a Gourmet magazine from June 2006 and I held on to it for dear life the whole time I was there.)

Come on, people, if you don't know that women like to spend the day quietly, catching up on current magazines, in addition to enjoying quiet, indulgent treatments, then how can you call yourself a spa!

• Liked — The Elemental Massage service
  • Disliked — The poorly managed, poorly arranged, non-luxurious, spa facilities.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank RealFoodist

Travelers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

Tampa, Fl
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We live nearby and like to come to the resort for little weekend getaways. Yes, the resort was in dire need of an upgrade to their rooms and they have done that. They are modern and beautiful now. I found the new bed very comfy (new pillow tops and down comforters) The pool has not been redone but is still nice and there is a bar nearby. I was surprised to read so many negative reviews even after the renovations. I strongly recommend it if you are in the Clearwater area.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank stephp6
FL
Reviewed December 26, 2006

NEVER STAY HERE!!! My husband and I stayed for our anniversary last year & we were disgusted!!! The bed was so uncomfortable, we would have been better off sleeping on the floor and the spa's brothel-like atmosphere was repulsive (Aveda should pull all products from this establishment!!!) DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, NOR MONEY AT THIS SPA... honestly, you'd be better off at a Motel 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lac1025
North Carolina
Reviewed December 17, 2006

If you can suck it up through the what will be metamorphic renovations this is an excellent stay.
This hotel gracoiusly upgraded our room. The staff was attentive from the time we pulled in to the time we left. They were willing to assit with any needs that we had. I needed washing det. and they had some to share with me, also the washing machines are free. The rooms were detailed with marble large plants nice headbords, nice down covers a must have. ample room. We had a veiw of the pool from our balcony that was heated. The spa experience was delightful. I dearly enjoyed the steam room. The robes, the hospitality the gift shop was cute. My children loved the experience there. You can walk to different places to eat near by and of course Starbucks is a hop skip and jump away. The only thing i think they need to add are microwaves in the room, other than that everything was great.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — no microwave
  • Tips/Secrets — hotwire.com check everyday
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank blackbutterfly_nc
Toronto
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I visit this spa at least once a year, spending a day there with Canadian friends who winter in nearby Palm Harbor.
We love this spa for a couple of reasons: its spring-fed water (delicious to drink and luxurious to swim in) and its old-world charm.
However, for the last couple of years we found the place deteriorating and in need of repair plus the treatment area itself had very out-dated magazines and was desperately in need of treatment itself.
Much improved this year. Up-to-the-minute New York Times and beauty mags. Dining service very good now.
I believe Safety Harbor has the world's BEST pedicurist, Bobby. (He doesn't work Mondays.) Worth the trip for him alone.
Excellent fitness classes, including aqua yoga. Wish I lived closer!
Mary Deanne Shears/Toronto, ON

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank MaryDeanne
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2006

Stayed here for one night in November 2006, as a getaway with my wife. We had a room on the 4th floor in the tower, with a great view of the bay.

Location isn't bad. It's right next to Downtown Safety Harbour, though there's not many stores there. However, all the big stores are on the main road just a short drive away. Clearwater Beach is about a 30 minute drive away, and very easy to get to.

Staff were polite and friendly. Car park is a bit messy and disorganised, but usable.

Room was nice. One of the biggest I've stayed in, with a comfortable bed and relatively nice and big bathroom. Had a big balcony too facing the bay.

Ironically, we didn't use any of the gym / spa facilites, so can't really comment on those.

Overall, my wife and I both liked it and had a good time. Would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
#27 of 98 in Clearwater
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!