“We had a great time. ”

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
“We had a great time. ”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 2 nights July 17th & 18th. Service was wonderful. Our only minor issue was when we requested late check out and the guy said yes but didn't ask for our room number nor did he write it down when I told him. But the next clerk fixed it quickly & she was nice.
Our room was nice. Cleaned each day. Bed & pillows very comfy.
Our massages we're so so. They were ok and the staff was really nice.
We loved the pool & the Tiki bar lunch was fabulous. Our prime rib dinner was great and the majoor dates appetizer was wonderful. Our room service breakfast was wonderful.
We enjoyed the yoga classes and the gym was great each day. We loved all the pools.
We used SUP paddleboarding and walked next door to the pier for paddleboarding lessons. Very fun! My hubby fished from the dock & enjoyed himself while I enjoyed my book.
The spa is on main street so we walked the town each night. On Friday night we went to 3rd Friday- a small street festival with food, crafts and music. It was fun too. Overall we had a great, healthy vacation & we'll go back. (But I might skip the massage and go for the reflexology)

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank purplemommyRN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I've stayed at this property many times over the years,and I have never had a negative experience. Just celebrated my 40th bday there, and I had great time. The AC wasnt functioning properly in our first room but one call to the front desk and we were promptly moved to another room just down the hall. I have visited several spas and the spa services here are great and priced in line with other spas. I paid $95 for facial which is exactly what I would have paid if I went to my local salon. If you want to go to a cheap spa, this probably isn't your place. I always request a room in the Palm Pavilion area of the hotel and all of these rooms are updated, modern, large, and clean. I only paid $150 (that included tax) per night for a Bayview room, which is a pretty good price. Overall, this property is a good value for the price.

Room Tip: Request a room in the Palm Pavilion area of the hotel
3 Thank kdd74
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I accidentally booked through Expedia. My reservation was messed up and I was given bad information. That annoyance was then exacerbated by the front desk people who were the RUDEST group of people I have ever met in my life. The assistant manager showed no interest in my problems and didn't even say that she was sorry for my inconvenience, she just said they had "never" had a problem with Expedia before. Interestingly, when I was at the front desk for another issue later there was another poor soul expressing the exact same problem - so much for "never!" I got the feeling that the manager at the desk hated her job, hotel guests, Florida, the world and me - not necessarily in that order. The room we were put in was dated and remotely located, requiring multiple exits from multiple buildings to reach. The spa services were overpriced. The pool was super tiny and crazyily crowded on the weekend - it was like a frat party in which you could not enter the pool without unwanted physical contact with other humans. The town is kind of cute but I can honestly say it would take a mandatory attendance type event (like a wedding) to induce me to return and then I might just send a nice gift and save myself the heartache - I would for sure find another hotel. My suggestion for the front desk people is that if you hate dealing with hotel guests, don't go into the hotel and restaurant industry. My suggestion for the travelling public is stay far, far away! Truly a hideous experience.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel.
4 Thank gooseontheloose99

Travelers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Back in its hay day, this resort was the place to be. Not so much these days. My friend and I bought a Living Social deal that allowed us to spend the day at the resort using the fitness facilities, pool, etc. It did not include food and beverage or spa services but it did include a $20 resort credit. We live in the area and have been there before but never really had any reason to go back - and still don't. We thought we would give it another try with this cheap deal but what we got was a cheap hotel/spa. We arrived at 10:30 knowing we wanted to take a water fitness class. The amenities were old and decrepit but were clean enough. We were issued a robe and flip flops along with a locker to use. We stopped at the jacuzzis on the way to our class and these were fine. You could just tell the place was old and in need of updating. Then to the class. The instructor was less than enthusiastic and rushed to get out the door after her 45 mins. The class itself was decent but another instructor and maybe some music would have added to the experience. We then headed to the mineral spring which is just like a tepid bath. Nothing special. The room where the spring pool is located is surrounded by theses hideous old tubs where the do mineral baths for people. I wouldn't sit it one of the if you paid me:(. They were nasty and made we want to get out of there. We checked out the sauna and steam but decided to just go out to the pool. After making our way through the maze of hallways, we finally got back to the locker room to gather our things to take to the pool. Once outside, don't expect anyone to hand you a towel or set up your chairs. You have to head on over the stack of towels by the tiki hut and sit wherever you like. No one will come take a drink order so have one hand or take a water bottle. When we decided to order lunch at the " tiki hut" the bartender was rude and pompous. Totally the kind that is full of himself. He was neither pleasant or helpful. We both ordered salads and could not believe the lack of lettuce. Mine was a Caesar that was average, my friends was full of pkg guacamole and lacked flavor. Is it really that hard to mash an avacado? We stayed poolside for about 2.5 hrs when we decided we had had enough. There was nothing that was keeping us there. And there will be nothing taking us back there either. Bottom line- this place needs a multi billion make over in ALL areas. If that ever happens maybe I'll go back. Until then, I say enjoy the Fairfield inn down the road!!!

1 Thank Lisa S
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Every time we visit The Safety Harbor Resort we ask ourselves why we don't visit more often since it's about 20 minutes from our home. It's a great "stay-cation" spot where we have enjoyed a romantic weekend getaway as a couple, I have enjoyed a girls' weekend fun time here, and we have celebrated Mother's Day Weekend at this resort as well.

Is it older? Yes - that's the charm of it. The history in this building and the grounds surrounding it is so cool! I feel they are constantly working at keeping things fresh looking and clean. I have never once had to complain about a room, a staff member, or a food item.

Recently we simply enjoyed the fitness room, a water aerobics class with Melissa which was really a great workout, the steam and sauna, followed by a dip in their relaxing pool area with a Veggie Burger and Turkey Wrap - both of which were delicious.

I would say the Tiki Bar staff could step it up in attention to guests - greeting guests as they step up to the bar to drop some money instead of after they have punched in their order on the screen. There was a lack of a sense of urgency to attend to guests this particular Sunday, but we were in no hurry so it was fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool on a higher level so that you can look OVER the palm trees acros...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth B
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Came here for a mother, daughters, best friend getaway. First impression, the door guys were polite. When I got there the girl at front desk lacked personality. Seemed annoyed to be there. I asked my girlfriend, if I was wring in my observation and she said the girl wasn't the bormal " welcome to our resort, how can I help you" oh well were excited to get to our "pool view" room.
You can see by the picture, not exactly easy to see it. But we didn't plan on hanging out in hotel room. But they should've called it an obstructed pool view.
The room was extremely dusty. Vents, light fixtures, pictures etc. There was a hole in the sheets. No tv guide. No instructions to use safe. After being at pool all day, we figured our room would be cleaned by 3 pm. Nope. But let me tell you, on day of checkout, they were knocking on our door at 8:10.
There were 3 adults and 1 child but only 3 large bath towels. I put our used towels on floor and after they cleaned room, I found some dirty ones under the sink. So not thorough cleaning. The doors in bathroom all show there was water damage and maybe a dog chewing bottom. Who knows.
The outlets in room are worn out. It is difficult to charge phones, computers. And the "free" internet service is horrible. Constantly dropped. Weak signal.No phone coverage and we all had different providers. I realize on a mini getaway, but owning own business, we still must go on line n make calls.

The breakfast buffet was very nice. Sausage gravy. Fresh fruits, bacon. Yogurt. Made to order omelettes Service was so so. Not worth giving additional tip for the service. Monday morning, continental was decent. The young male waiter was more friendly than the older lady Sunday. Sorry couldn't remember the names.
The pool was very nice. Gets crowded fast. Didn't like the fact that the guy working the tiki bar was standing alongside smoking a few times. Didnt like that people could smoke at pool period.

The bloody mary is fantastic. Thought drinks were high $$. Two virgin dacquiries small cups, bloody mary and a regular daquirie was $32 WITHOUT gratuity. .
The fitness center is nice. Great equipment. But once again everyone we came in contact looked like they didn't want to be there. I thought $45 to sit in a mineral bath for 25 minutes kind of high.
The reception desk looked very unorganized. We were standing.at desk waiting to talk to someone but all looked"busy". No one makes eye contact or says hello. Exvept on our last evening, we were sitting by the pool and a young pool cabana boy, said.good evening as he left for the night.
Checking out. The guy at front desk seemed a little more pleasant but didn't ask how stay was. I recommended they put a invoice under door in am before check out, so don't have to go through all the fees charged at desk.
He didn't ask if I wanted to use the same card on file for all charges and assumed as I was standing there with a handful of spa finder gift cards that I wanted to use. So when I checked out, I had two holds on my account for over $380 . & should have only been $163.
This place has a nice ambiance about it but rooms very old and dated, not cleaned well and the service is not resort quality. If I get more gift cards, I might go back and give them a chance. But a 2 night stay for $383 in off season is not worth it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Horrible! The place is old and musty. Carpets throughout are dirty. My wife's girlfriend slipped on their wet floors and new management is TERRIBLE!! Voiced our concerns but they would not do a thing to remedy the situation... we are locals and would book regulary but not since this last experience. DO NOT DRINK AT THE TIKI BAR!!! For a foursome it cost us almost $300 (which they don't tell you until you get your tab). Rip off!!! Stay away! Much better places to spend your money on at the beach!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,247 reviews

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!