“One of the best night sleeps I ever had”

Safety Harbor Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Safety Harbor
Clearwater, FL
“One of the best night sleeps I ever had”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in the huge terrace room - 2 queen beds, living room, kitchenette and 2 balconies. Slept like a log in the bed - it was amazing. Wish I could have brought the bed home. Next day, we did spa treatments and they were very nice. All the staff was extremely nice and helpful. Definitely would stay again-the terrace room would make a great girls weekend. It's really nice to walk around the town also.

Room Tip: The terrace room is the best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
St. Petersburg, FL
Reviewed September 6, 2011

As a member who uses the gym and spa several times a week, I thought nothing of spending a few nights here when I had family in town who needed to use my house. However, the service and the rooms is far below what I was used to at the gym and locker room. The hotel area, other than the lobby & and a few places, is genrally old, musty, and in need of much repair. Our room, while spacious, was bare bones and needed painting. The TV was blurry to the point of not being able to watch it, and on top of that we chased lizards out each night.

The food is ok, but hope you plan to go to bed early, as everything closes around 10pm including room service. On our last morning, our breakfast order was never picked up at all from the door, sending me to work on an empty stomach.

On top of that, the power went out, which is not their fault, but no backup generator almost prevented us from being able to check out.

Bottom line: this place is not workth more thatn $75 a night but they charge three times that for an old worn-down property with litltle to offer. Take it from a local, and head to the Clearwater Beach area or the Vinoy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dezmond

Travelers are raving about these Safety Harbor hotels

Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I will be attending a wedding at this resort. The wedding begins at 4pm and check in is not until 4pm. I travel often and check in is usually at 3pm. I was told this hotel is different. Thus far, a difference that is not an advantage to the guest.
Wondering if I should stay at this hotel. Was anyone able to get an early check in easily?

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ritz3
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This place is advertised as a luxury resort and wellness spa. The hotel itself is average, though the rooms are large. The furnishings are clean and nice, but you can tell it is old and a little musty.
The pool area has a Tiki Bar with loud music, serving drinks at 11 am and burgers and fries by the pool, as well as many people smoking. It was not the spa atmosphere I was expecting; more like an average beach hotel environment.
I was very underwhelmed by the spa. My husband and I booked massages and though the therapist was very kind, the room was small and cold, the lotion was cold, and she sat on the side of the massage table during part of the massage. Definitely not worth what they charge.
We ate at the restaurant once; the food was delicious and the service was great.
The gym amenities are adequate, but again, nothing special.
I would not stay here for full-price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EmilyB6
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I had been visiting the Tampa Bay area for 6 weeks and this was my first time staying at this reosrt. I choice it because it was on the Bay and seemed glamorous.... this resort was far from glamorous. It was horrible. I will never go back and never recommend this resort to anyone. It was old, there was mold in my room, the air conditioner did not work well, and there were DEAD COCK ROACHES!!!! The bath tub and shower were very small with no room for shampoo and conditioner. The"Bay View" rooms are non Bay View unless you consider peering through trees and thinking you may see water 1000 yards off in the distance a "Bay View". The staff was rude and there was never a supervisor around to speak with outside of normal business hours from 9-5. Worst resort / hotel ever. Complaints could go on. Will NEVER go back and NEVER recommend!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank melissa s
Chagrin Falls, Oh
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Attending my companies conference was like no other meeting I attended in a good way. The staff and hotel meeting space was amazing. They paid attention to the details, the food was excellent, and I felt like I was on vacation but don't let my boss know that. Hope my company plans it at Safety Harbor Resort again next year. GREAT CHOICE!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank KDLGolfer
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My wife and I were attended an event in the area, so we decided to stay here for a single night. On our arrival around 4:30 there was no valet, so we parked in the lot across the street. During check-in, we were told that that is the valet lot and we would have to move our car. I informed the staff that there was no valet and my eyes must have given me away as we were told to leave our car there.

This hotel is a grand old place. They should spruce up their front door, as this is the first impression, but the interior is very nice. Our room was quite nice. It was large and comfortable. For the price we paid (summer rates), this was way more than we expected.

The only room issue we had was a slow internet connection. I mean very slow. Other than that, and the dirt self parking area, this place is a gem.

We did not use the spa or the outdoor areas but we are motivated to return for a longer stay to do both.

Room Tip: A balcony would be great but it's hard to get a bad room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
#25 of 98 in Clearwater
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach

Been to Safety Harbor Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!